Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really love to have a module for this one as well. Mr Butterfield and Decision seem to not have too many issues with games being brought over to VASSAL, so let's hope one is in the works!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically the VASSAL modules are made by fans and published for download with the permission of the copyrights-holder. Here's to hoping an enterprising geek pursues this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on a module? Just ordered this game as I have DDoB and that one has a great vassal module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked DG's official Vassal modules page, and there are none there for any of the D-Day series.

The module list at vassalengine.org does include DDaOB, but not Tarawa, so I'm guessing that right now, there is no Vassal module for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
game_boy wrote:
The module list at vassalengine.org does include DDaOB, but not Tarawa, so I'm guessing that right now, there is no Vassal module for this game.

But
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seems to think there is one. In the thread you want me to cross-reference here:
Computer D-Day at Tarawa
Thomas, the computer programmer for the PC version, says:
tas1624 wrote:
I have just started working on this. Currently the focus is on data entry. There's a lot more data for this kind of game than normal wargames due to fire dots, unit weapons, and the cards. I am using the "Vassal' map image which has a resolution of about 184 pixels per hex which is ideal and no printed fire dots which I prefer. You'll be able to see FOF's by holding the right mouse button down on a Japanese position. If anyone has any suggestions or requests please add them to this thread for consideration.

If he is using "the Vassal map image", there must be a VASSAL module somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, I've PM'ed Thomas to see what he meant by that.

It's possible the module is still incomplete, and they've only done the map so far (i.e. not the counters, cards, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also entirely possible that the VASSAL module he mentions was used in development/playtest, and there are no intentions for it to see the light of day. I sure hope not though ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we don't hear back from Thomas soon, I'm tempted to write this myself.

As for the required graphics:
thumbsup We have a map image thanks to Koinsky,
thumbsup The counter scans are already in the pictures section here on BGG (e.g. here), so
thumbsdown We just need to scan the cards.

Then IIUC it's a case of programming the module so that each component has the right actions available (e.g. flipping over).

Mind you I've never written a Vassal module before, so I'm probably massively underestimating the amount of work required, but it would be a labour of love and it would let me play this game a lot more often (we have one large table that we use for everything, so it's hard to leave it set up for a whole game).

Would anyone be interested in helping out, potentially?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
game_boy wrote:
If we don't hear back from Thomas soon, I'm tempted to write this myself.

As for the required graphics:
thumbsup We have a map image thanks to Koinsky,
thumbsup The counter scans are already in the pictures section here on BGG (e.g. here), so
thumbsdown We just need to scan the cards.

Then IIUC it's a case of programming the module so that each component has the right actions available (e.g. flipping over).

Mind you I've never written a Vassal module before, so I'm probably massively underestimating the amount of work required, but it would be a labour of love and it would let me play this game a lot more often (we have one large table that we use for everything, so it's hard to leave it set up for a whole game).

Would anyone be interested in helping out, potentially?

I want a module for this too. I have some experience with VASSAL and module making. If you run into a problem I could help, potentially. Making VASSAL modules is really a solo job – editor not designed for teamwork. I suggest you look at a lot of existing modules to see how things are done by others. Try to focus on newer modules (created post VASSAL 3.2). Virtual shortcuts introduced in VASSAL 3.2 makes it easier to deal with triggers and their chain of events.

I am still wrapping up the Memoir '44 10.11 module update, and almost done with an undisclosed module for a new game, and then the next module for me has to be No Retreat 2 first, as NR4 is almost out. And that will need a module too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
Making VASSAL modules is really a solo job – editor not designed for teamwork.

Actually, some of the largest modules (I'm looking at you, VASL) are collaborative efforts. VASL is hosted on github, is revision managed, and each person commits their contributions to the resources, java code, and VASSAL .vmod!

edit: Link for anyone interested: github
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alecc wrote:
bdegroot wrote:

Actually, some of the largest modules (I'm looking at you, VASL) are collaborative efforts. VASL is hosted on github, is revision managed, and each person commits their contributions to the resources, java code, and VASSAL .vmod!

We are talking about the VASSAL editor here. 'Making a module' does not automatically mean writing custom java code. Some of the largest modules do have custom java to extend VASSAL with advanced features, and you can collaborate on that code. But the VASSAL editor is not very collaboration friendly. And you know that VASL is unique, unlike any other VASSAL module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
Alecc wrote:
bdegroot wrote:

We are talking about the VASSAL editor here. 'Making a module' does not automatically mean writing custom java code. Some of the largest modules do have custom java to extend VASSAL with advanced features, and you can collaborate on that code. But the VASSAL editor is not very collaboration friendly. And you know that VASL is unique, unlike any other VASSAL module.

Right, but I'm sure that you agree that "making a module" is more than slapping together a vmod. Nearly all modules are created by a single developer, but I was just suggesting that there could be a collaborative effort. For instance X check out the vmod and works on map actions, Y creates counters and prototypes, Z creates cards. Project owner W then manually merges the independent contributions.

Not as slick as using git for source code, but I think it could still work. It could also be used to take some of the grunt work (croping and naming counters for example) off of the super-talented main developers out there and expedite workflow.

Just food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on this?

if the cards are all that is missing, maybe they could be easily redesigned. Even ussing vassal [game piece image definitions] feature, as they are mostly text. Should be time consuming but not hard at all.

I'd volunteer to put all together and make a vassal module, if someone would take the countersheets and "chop" the counters appart for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoMasOvejas wrote:
Any news on this?

if the cards are all that is missing, maybe they could be easily redesigned. Even ussing vassal [game piece image definitions] feature, as they are mostly text. Should be time consuming but not hard at all.

I'd volunteer to put all together and make a vassal module, if someone would take the countersheets and "chop" the counters appart for me.

Nada. I'd recommend getting in touch with Decision Games or designer John H. Butterfield. Decision seems to have a fairly conservative hold on the copyright for their games, and has issued a cease and desist to vassalengine.org from hosting more modules from them or SPI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.