Thumb up
2 Posts

Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner» Forums » Sessions

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kieron Mitchell
United States
flag msg tools
Wednesday I played DoA with Leroy and DaveK.

I was team white, they were black. We did a kind of "reverse draft" for characters: we drew three characters at random, picked one and discarded the other two, until a squad of 8 had been picked. This squad was then given TO THE OTHER TEAM.

Perhaps my key mistake in the game was giving them Thotus.
Thotus can challenge enemies within 5 spaces to a wits duel, and if he amazes, THE ENEMY SWITCHES SIDES. The only way to get back the character is to kill Thotus. Oh yeah, his wits are WHITE (the best possible).

I decided to attack Thotus with everything I had right from the beginning, and after losing two characters to Thotus pretty quickly, DaveK had to leave.

After Dave left, Leroy continued to pound me, capturing two more characters (Elloit Ness, then Pat Garrett) as they attacked or tried to sneak by Thoutus. I was down to TWO CHARACTERS – Dr. Hume and Gregory (who isn’t allowed to attack) – Leroy had something like TWELVE. Although, to Leroy’s consternation, we were tied in VPs.

Seeing that my only chance to pull a win out of this hopeless situation was to kill Thoutus (and thus regain all my lost characters), Dr. Hume picked up a card out of my base, and whipped out of the base, into firing position.

Meanwhile, Leroy has dismissed Thotus out of harms way, two full platters away from Dr. Hume. The next turn, he moves Thotus and I drop an op fire marker FROM OVER 20 SPACES AWAY. “What??” gasps Leroy.

Dr. Hume reveals The Dagger Wings (a weapon with a crazy long range which gets more dangerous the further away the target is). We know the roll needs to be a low one, AND I ROLL A THREE!
Then the complaining begins – do I have LOS, doesn’t it really go through 3 swamps, etc. etc. Finally, he gives in and lets me roll for damage. With that weapon at that distance against Thotus, the only roll that saves him is boxcars – and I don’t roll it.

Thotus goes down, and FOUR CHARACTERS come back to my side. Sweet sassy molassy – a net swing of nine characters with one shot. UNHEARD OF!

The rest of the game was uneventful ;-)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
flag msg tools
513ers Assemble!

I had Thotus once and after converting a couple characters had a nuclear missile launched at him from across the board.

Why everyone gotta hate on the brain!?

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.