Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I haven't had much chance to play much yet, but I am already dreaming up new and interesting things to do with this game. One of them is adding more NPC types to the game. You could include more NPC ships to make the game work for two players, or just add a random selection to your game? You would always include the Outlaw and the Police ship. I'm still working out the details but I want to play more games before I continue.

The Explorer: An NPC ship with a high move rate that collects explore tokens. If there are no explore tokens within two sectors, it scans a new sector.

The Miner: An NPC ship that basically has a trade route between an asteroid or debris field and a trade world. It would build a credit value for every trip back and forth.

The Smuggler: An NPC ship that has a trade route between the outlaw planet and the smuggler's asteroid. It could have a bounty on it that increases for every trip it makes.

The Thief: An NPC ship that moves adjacent to a player ship that is carrying cargo and steals some of it. Then makes a break for the outlaw world or the smugglers asteroid. The ship would have a bounty on it, but any stolen trade goods would be placed on the card and would be jettisoned if the ship is destroyed.

The Inspector: An NPC ship that targets ships with trade goods. Like the Police ship, the Inspector would stay near the lawful planets. If the Inspector ends his move adjacent to a player ship, a die roll could be made to determine if the player is clear to continue, must pay a "trade tax", or perhaps have one or more trade goods "confiscated".

As I said, these are just rough ideas at the moment. I thought that you could place the police ship, outlaw and then a random selection. Perhaps more NPC's with fewer players to keep things interesting? Any input would be welcome.

Other suggestions for other types of NPCs is welcome as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Basically, more npcs essentially translates into more targets for pirates/bounty hunters. This is actually probably good for game balance.

It would be nice to have 1 npc per player.

I like the smuggler and miner the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Include enough NPC's and you could makeca coop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
Include enough NPC's and you could makeca coop

This game can be made a coop. I'm working on crafting some scenarios with shared objectives, rather than racing for fame points. For I stance, a scenario where you must work together to stop an alien invasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea, the Q-Ship

Q-Ship: An NPC ship that looks and acts exactly like the Merchant, but when you attack it, it attacks back (possibly). A die roll could determine if it really is a merchant, or a warship. if it is a warship, it will continue to attack outlaws like the Enforcer, but if it ever returns to a Lawful planet, it is removed from the board (destroyed). Once destroyed, it becomes a mystery again. Attack at your own risk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Invader (Outlaw)
Spawned from Tigris Gate (comes in from a floating tether or something). Will target a random Lawful or Neutral planet. Moves towards it each turn, attacking any ship it encounters along the way (it doesn't care). Once inside the planet, it will sit there, but as long as it's there, no buy, sell, or mission actions can be performed on that planet.

The Enforcer will go after the Invader as top priority, if in range (otherwise it doesn't realize it's there yet).

Gives some kind of reward when you kill it, perhaps a bigger reward if you kill it before it gets to the planet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the invader! Destroying the invader should remove any bounty the player has collected.

You could have another variation of that:

The Outlander: An NPC that appears when all three gates are available. Attacks anyone. When there are no targets within 2 sectors, moves towards the nearest gate. Destroying the Outlander earns a set bounty, but also removes 1000 bounty from the player that destroyed him (goodwill).

The Tourist: An NPC that appears when all three gates are available. The ship spawns with a set amount of credits and then travels from gate to gate. It has weapons and shields and will return fire if attacked. If destroyed, it will respawn with another random amount of credits. Alternately, there could be a chance that the Outlander or Invader appear when the Tourist is destroyed! Aliens from beyond the gates don't take kindly to seeing their travelers shot at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
I like the invader! Destroying the invader should remove any bounty the player has collected.

You could have another variation of that:

The Outlander: An NPC that appears when all three gates are available. Attacks anyone. When there are no targets within 2 sectors, moves towards the nearest gate. Destroying the Outlander earns a set bounty, but also removes 1000 bounty from the player that destroyed him (goodwill).

The Tourist: An NPC that appears when all three gates are available. The ship spawns with a set amount of credits and then travels from gate to gate. It has weapons and shields and will return fire if attacked. If destroyed, it will respawn with another random amount of credits. Alternately, there could be a chance that the Outlander or Invader appear when the Tourist is destroyed! Aliens from beyond the gates don't take kindly to seeing their travelers shot at!

Oooh, I like those!

I'll see if I can whip up some cards for these Makes me think of the Antarans from Master of Orion II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A ghost ship: A NPC that spaws randomly and travels to another spawn zone. Once the ship reach his destination, it dissapears and after 2 turns it will spawn again. (Randomly decided by die roll). Any player could explore this ghost ship by scanning like (Scan unexplored Sectors) and roll a die for encounter:
A - Automated Defense System (1-3)
B - Nothing value (4-9)
C - 1000 Credits (10-14)
D - Cargo (15-18)
E - Fame (19-20)

Once 1 player succeed to explore the ghost ship, it's removed from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The Invader (Outlaw)
Spawned from Tigris Gate (comes in from a floating tether or something). Will target a random Lawful or Neutral planet. Moves towards it each turn, attacking any ship it encounters along the way (it doesn't care). Once inside the planet, it will sit there, but as long as it's there, no buy, sell, or mission actions can be performed on that planet.

The Enforcer will go after the Invader as top priority, if in range (otherwise it doesn't realize it's there yet).

Gives some kind of reward when you kill it, perhaps a bigger reward if you kill it before it gets to the planet?

What a coincidence. I came up with a similar concept on a different thread. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17232194#17232194
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I promise I didn't see that thread and steal your idea though Must just be a good idea in general!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave the Knave
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Scoundrel replacement AI
Tier 1
Impulse 8
Health 15
Shield d6
-Targets last until an attempt at stealing is done OR target has no cubes/money OR target is destroyed.
-The pirate will never target the same ship twice in a row.
-The pirate can target NPCs (will steal 1,000 credits)
-1st - If holding goods and appropriate planets are discovered: Fly toward nearest outlaw/neutral planet and sell goods if not holding goods then.
-2nd - Target closest ship with goods, if no target then
-3rd - Target closest ship with money, if no target then
-4th - Fly toward nearest outlaw planet
-Targeted Ship
--Fly towards targeted ship.
--If adjacent to targeted ship can roll to steal d3 goods/1,000 credits and gain 1,000 credit bounty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'd say that one needs to replacement the Scoundrel. Make it it's own type, a Pirate. The original Scoundrel is more like a "Raiding Party" hit-and-run type of thing, more than a scavenger. They could both exist because they both have different motives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gange
United States
California
flag msg tools
I feel like adding some increased mechanics to the existing npc ships. Perhaps a different attack, defense, and target requirements depending on the tier of ships. Or type of attacks made against them. The enforcer particularly. Once you get a good set of boasters he isn't really a threat. Haven't thought through the particulars yet, but I was thinking for sure he will be willing to travel farther to hunt down certain ships. Perhaps adding a sector per 2000cr bounty increment. So if you have 2000 bounty he will target normal, once you make it up to 4000cr he will go 2 sectors away etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted tougher NPCs, you could have a tier 1, 2 & 3 version. As soon as one player purchases a tier 2 ship, you replace the tier 1 NPC cards with the tier 2 versions. That way you can have them become progressively tougher like the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see the NPCs upgrade, but only after more than one player had also upgraded.

The Invader sounds like a Berserk! I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps, just make the NPC cards two sided. They have a beginner and advanced version. The advanced version comes into play when any player upgrades to tier 3. That way you would expect the other players to be at least at a tier 2 ship and capable of dealing with stronger NPCs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, for the more aggressive NPC's, you could have some kind of rule to have them less likely to target lower-tiered ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.