Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we are playing our first game this weekend - much excitement. But learning to play and reading these forums I am not sure on best characters for first timers. There are 3 of us, possibly four. I was thinking the three "men" - but not sure. Any advice much appreciated - thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
All the characters should be fine to start with.

I think Rachel is the easiest since her cards are very straightforward: go to a location, get in a fight, buy some cybernetics, etc.

Floyd is also straightforward in that regard, although you have to remember to play around his "must return home for maintenance" restriction when it is in effect.

Louis doesn't have a lot of complicated stuff either, but his method of chaining together multiple cards with discounts and abilities can take some finesse.

Caprice and Raymond have the biggest drawbacks in my opinion, as they each have dark cards (or Memories) that will punish them heavily if they stray into the wrong location. Raymond is also a little boring in that he only gets one plot for the whole game and it takes twice as long to resolve, so you get less interaction with it.

But really, all the characters are fine. Pick the one whose look and feel you like the most, because you're going to be playing their story for the next four hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My own newbie-friendliness ranking goes:
1. Louis
2. Rachel
3. Floyd
4. Caprice
5. Raymond

But if I had to distill it down to a single recommendation, it'd be anyone but Raymond. He's really powerful, but there's just so many catastrophically bad things that can happen as soon as he does basically anything.

Personally I find Louis even simpler than Rachel, because his strategies are pretty clear cut and he has the simplest plots. And yeah, what Sureshot said about Floyd and Caprice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent and thank you! Raymond it isn't then!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floyd was my first character. He can actually be very tricky. With all the other characters, you can be pretty certain that passing each of your plot branches by accumulating good baggage is the way to go. Floyd gets to choose the outcome of his first plot branch each week, and the player should be prepared to look ahead and get a good idea of the full impact of those decisions.

Raymond is pretty straightforward as long as his player remembers to avoid the Beanstalk, nightlife locations and the Moon in general.

Rachel is my favorite. She has a great story and some really fun gameplay, and is pretty simple to play, as mentioned by other posters.

Louis is also pretty simple, but his player should be aware that there are several devastating dark cards in his deck. He should try to stay on Earth, since he might get into situations that prevent him from doing any worthwhile actions until he visits certain locations. He's at his best when chaining dark cards on others in retribution.

Caprice is...okay. Most of her abilities involve looking at other people's hands, which is a bit more meta than the other characters. She should definitely remember to stay away from major locations (the square locations).

They're all pretty accessible, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.