Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Panamax» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Keeping dice in the Dice Pool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that the best place to keep your dice that are waiting for contracts is the dice pool as opposed to the warehouse. However, the consecutive steps if of 6 then 7 of End of Round steps, always moves them from dice pool to warehouse before you have a chance to use them from the dice pool.

In other words, I can find a way to keep your dice in the pool and ouit of the warehouse beyond the first round when you have dice that starts there.

Is the dice pool really only used to bring dice into play from round one? Why not just move them straight to the warehouse in step 6 of End of Round steps?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Suen
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
In other words, I can find a way to keep your dice in the pool and ouit of the warehouse beyond the first round when you have dice that starts there.

When a ship arrives at the end of the Canal, the dice are returned to the Dice Pool.

See the top half of pg. 10 in the rulebook.
Quote:
All dice on those ships go to the Dice Pool.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcjsuen wrote:
ath3ist wrote:
In other words, I can find a way to keep your dice in the pool and ouit of the warehouse beyond the first round when you have dice that starts there.

When a ship arrives at the end of the Canal, the dice are returned to the Dice Pool.

See the top half of pg. 10 in the rulebook.
Quote:
All dice on those ships go to the Dice Pool.


You "Pay Cargo Fees" at step 6.

Hence, all the dice that were moved to their destination thru the canal on this turn would have been placed in the Dice Pool and have a $0 Cargo Fee at this step.

Then in step 7 you move the dice from the Dice Pool into the Warehouse.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I didn't have a rules question, and thus posted to Strategy. The only time the dice are moved back to pool is at the end of a journey, which is a herculean effort. Right now im soloing 3 player to get the rules down (and freaking loving it). I imagine ships end up in the ocean more frequently with 4 players.

In terms of strategy, it seemed the best moves in round 1 were to get all the dice out to water and get them in locks with low taxes. But with only 4 actions to try and load and move those dice, round one seemed almost destined for bankruptcy for 2 out of 3 of my players. And there were definitely no dividends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Suen
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
In terms of strategy, it seemed the best moves in round 1 were to get all the dice out to water and get them in locks with low taxes. But with only 4 actions to try and load and move those dice, round one seemed almost destined for bankruptcy for 2 out of 3 of my players. And there were definitely no dividends.

So at the beginning of the game the company has $18 and you have 4 dice in the $5 warehouse which translates to $20. You're missing out on $2.

If you load all 4 dice you'll bring the cargo fees down to $16 from $20. If you just move it anywhere beyond the loading zone it'll drop to anywhere from $4 to $12. Your company has $18 to pay $12 of cargo fees and $3 for dividends with $3 to spare. If you buy one of your own shares you'll have $24, lose $12 on cargo fees and then pay $6 on dividends. Your company will be poor but I feel like it shouldn't go broke. Everyone also starts with a $3 die out in the canal already so if you can take it home your company will gain an additional $3.

If you load the other dice from your Dice Pool then you'll have to pay more cargo fees but if you just leave the first 4 there then you don't really need to worry about them (since the Dice Pool's cargo fee is $0). You might feel compelled to bring all the dice out but if you feel your company can't pay the cargo fees then you should just leave them in the $0 Dice Pool.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but I'll give this a shot.

At the beginning of the game, four of your dice are placed in the warehouse and all the rest go to the dice pool.

One die automatically goes from the warehouse to your one hold ship during setup. You only have three other dice you absolutely need to worry about at the end of round one.

Of course, if you don't move at least a few of the cargo dice out of the dice pool onto ships, your second round is going to be difficult.

Part of the strategy is figuring out how to keep your costs down while at the same time not jamming up your warehouse with too much un-laded cargo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Suen
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
At the beginning of the game, four of your dice are placed in the warehouse and all the rest go to the dice pool.

One die automatically goes from the warehouse to your one hold ship during setup. You only have three other dice you absolutely need to worry about at the end of round one.

Just a correction here, in my copy of the game as well as noted in the rulebook, every player has 9 dice. 1 goes out to sea, 4 goes to the warehouse, and 4 goes to the Dice Pool. So there are 4 dice that in the warehouse in the beginning, not 3.

As an aside, there are also the Startup Contract cards so some of those 4 dice should have been loaded onto boats or moved onto a contract from the get-go. This should further reduce the number of dice that is available in the warehouse on the first turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. Sorry, my mistake. You would have four dice in the warehouse at the beginning of round one, not three.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcjsuen wrote:
ath3ist wrote:
In terms of strategy, it seemed the best moves in round 1 were to get all the dice out to water and get them in locks with low taxes. But with only 4 actions to try and load and move those dice, round one seemed almost destined for bankruptcy for 2 out of 3 of my players. And there were definitely no dividends.

So at the beginning of the game the company has $18 and you have 4 dice in the $5 warehouse which translates to $20. You're missing out on $2.

If you load all 4 dice you'll bring the cargo fees down to $16 from $20. If you just move it anywhere beyond the loading zone it'll drop to anywhere from $4 to $12. Your company has $18 to pay $12 of cargo fees and $3 for dividends with $3 to spare. If you buy one of your own shares you'll have $24, lose $12 on cargo fees and then pay $6 on dividends. Your company will be poor but I feel like it shouldn't go broke. Everyone also starts with a $3 die out in the canal already so if you can take it home your company will gain an additional $3.

If you load the other dice from your Dice Pool then you'll have to pay more cargo fees but if you just leave the first 4 there then you don't really need to worry about them (since the Dice Pool's cargo fee is $0). You might feel compelled to bring all the dice out but if you feel your company can't pay the cargo fees then you should just leave them in the $0 Dice Pool.


I think that was the crux of it. I was aggressively getting dice out of the pool in round one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go too far the other way too, which is what I did in my first game.
I loaded and delivered all the cargo in the warehouse in round 1, taking none from the pool. The result was all 9 dice in the warehouse in round 2. It lead to tough rounds trying to get it all loaded and moving and ended up unable to pay dividends due to too high cargo fees (I never emptied the warehouse entirely for the rest of the game).

Keeping stuff out in the lakes isn't too bad because its income that's coming and it's cheap. Better to load and move stuff 1/2 way rather than deliver it all it seems, and try to get it all home in round 3 for dividends.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a 3 player solo game and think I have the strategy figured out in the respect. At the end of the game, all dice except for two were in the dice pool. I managed to have only one player who had to pay $2 in cargo fees in the final round.

The 3rd and 2nd place players were $1 apart. The player that won was $24 ahead at $111.

Man I can't wait to get a real game in, however It is a fascinating solo exercise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.