Quartermaster General» Forums » Rules

Subject: Economic Warfare rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Der Tom
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, I have a question about an american card for "bombing". The text says: "To use, you must have an Army within 3 spaces of an Axis home space.... The problem for me is now how to count the spaces. Let's assume America has an Army in the Western United States. So how do I have to count the spaces?
1. Would it be East Pacific - North Pacific and then already Japan? or
2. East Pacific - North Pacific - Sea of Japan and then Japan?
So as you can see it's definitely important how I have to count the spaces, since the 2nd option would mean it's impoosible using the card at this moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First one is wrong as Japan is not adjacent to the North Pacific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number 2 should be correct. You need to build units (for Firestorm Bombers, army or navy; for the other bombing cards it must be an army) closer to the home spaces of Axis countries in order to use the USA's economic warfare cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Tom
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
o.k. thank you very much for you help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Tom
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Oh sorry, but there is just another case crossing my mind. What if a navy would be in the East Pacific. Would it then be possible bombing Japan? There would be just 3 space far from Japan. Is it correct at all considering a navy as the closest army to the targeted space?
Many thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A navy in the East Pacific would not allow you to bomb Japan. For the bombing cards that say 3 or 2 spaces away, it must be an army (ie. a land unit) within that distance of the enemy's home space (counting both land and sea spaces). However, for the card that says that you must be in the space adjacent to their capital, a navy is sufficient (we had this wrong for a while, but Ian recently corrected us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The wording on the cards is very specific, so reading them carefully will usually answer all questions.

The US card Bombers states "You must have an Army within 3 spaces..."

Army, not "piece"! So having a Navy in the East Pacific would not be relevant.

But if you have a US Army in Hawaii, New Guinea, Australia, Southeast Asia, Pacific Northwest, etc. then you could use Bombers, because all those are within 3 spaces. Likewise, an Army in Iwo Jima, Vladivostok, China, or Philippines would enable you to use Heavy Bombers on Japan, because those are all within 2 spaces.

Note that only Firestorm Bombers refers to a "piece" -- meaning an Army or a Navy. But that card requires your piece to be adjacent to an enemy home space. So in order to use Firestorm Bombers against Japan, you need a Navy in the Sea of Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Tom
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Ahh alright thank you so much to all of them. Now it's very clear to me. Thanks for giving me these detailes examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An additional question on Economic Warfare. When a country must discard cards from the top of his deck as a result of EW, can that player look at the discards to see what he lost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we play that he/she may look at them.

The rulebook states, under "Who can see what?" that a player may discard cards to the bottom of his discard pile to keep them a secret from other players, implying that the player themself may look at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.