Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play 1- or 2-player games of Rune Age. Last weekend, I had the rare treat of playing a 4-player game. We chose The Cataclysm. The one card that consistently defeated us was Conflagration. It's quite brutal. I suppose I never noticed how hard it is to defeat until I tried the 4-player version where we had to defeat it four times! Does anyone else have trouble with this card in 4-player games? We just cheated by ignoring the part about defeating it 4 times, but now I'm intrigued to see if I can defeat it with 4 players.

Also, since discussion is sparse on these forums, I'll add another question: which event card in The Cataclysm do you find to be the most troublesome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a poll here

But to your question - I have played the ExpCataclysm with 3 players at most only once and we lost at that time. All the Conflagration, Obelisk & Army of Abyss are very harsh with more players I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never had the chance with 4, only with 2.

in theory, the cards that scale should be easier with more players, bec if someone is going strong, they can beat it multiple times. But maybe in practice they last longer?

They are all tough. I think the one that bothers me most is Holy War. It's one thing to take damage, bec you're always taking damage, but another to have only 4 cards. Plus it's so early. You got nothing to work with already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XehutL wrote:
Do a poll here

Good idea. But I suppose this forum really needs the conversation. At least, I enjoy the conversation.

Guardian Obelisk is a very good point. I guess I usually forget about that one because it's at the beginning so it never finishes us off, even though it probably does the same amount of damage. It's just that by the time Conflagration comes out, somebody is damaged enough that they can't last 4 turns.

The point about having one player take it out multiple times is a good one. In one of our games last weekend, Holy War had been out a whole round and only had two damage tokens on it. I was player 3 and playing the Uthuk Y'llan (as usual). I had two Flesh Rippers and two Berserkers. With some luck on the Attrition Die, I was able to take it out twice. I felt like a hero.

EDIT: So it turns out taking out Holy War twice in one turn was illegal because you can only attack each target once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the Holy War needs to be taken out on the second round at most - and because it has the lowest strength, it should mean that only one player should ever attack it for twice. But of course, it is sometimes hard if the AD rolls just too much skulls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Speeg
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
The problem my group has had with Holy War in the past is that if one or two people miss the damage on it, then the next time they see it they have only a 4 card hand, which makes it so that they have even less chance. A bad draw early can really compound things for the next few rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.