Subject: Using Formula D dice for movement. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Mason
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Played my first game tonight (friend got in on kickstarter) some aspects of the game were fun, some mechanics were frustrating. IMO, the worst mechanic is the randomness of the movement rolls - makes luck too big of a factor and can make pre-planning your turn pointless. Annoying to continually roll lower on a D12 (that you paid big bucks for) than your opponents with D8 or even D6.

After the game, thinking of possible fixes, my mind turned to another roll for movement game I own - Formula D. Each gear is represented by a die, higher gears have higher numbers for more speed, without having the lower numbers of the previous gear. I think the 2,3,4 gear dice would be good replacements for the D6, D8, D12 movement dice in Xia. This would have the following effect.

Standard D6 replaced with D6 with faces 2,3,3,4,4,4.
Standard D8 replaced with D8 with faces 4,5,6,6,7,7,8,8.
Standard D12 replaced with D12 with 7 - 12 (x2)

This leaves some of the randomness aspect in the game but allows for some pre-planning (ex. if you have the D12 you know you are going at least 7 per movement action) and ensures you get a benefit for the engines you paid for. Average move rolls would go up a bit, possibly shortening the game but in my mind that's a good thing.

This will probably appeal to the more "strategic" thinkers like myself, while others may prefer the more random aspect of the standard dice. Good news is you can buy a set of Formula D dice separately for less than 10$ and try for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We stuck with the roll two dice and take the higher of the two. Works well.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find you with the three roles you get a turn you will get to where you want to get to in two turns. Dice must realy hate you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to try Xia tomorrow night for the first time, probably using the rolling rules as-is and see how it goes, but I can see how that could be frustrating.

Instead of buying new dice you could also use d6, d6+2 for the d8 (moving 3-8 spaces) and d6+6 for the d12 (moving 7-12 spaces). We'll see if it's a game-breaker.

If I understand the rules correctly, you can Impulse a certain number of non-random spaces for free, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
We're going to try Xia tomorrow night for the first time, probably using the rolling rules as-is and see how it goes, but I can see how that could be frustrating.

Instead of buying new dice you could also use d6, d6+2 for the d8 (moving 3-8 spaces) and d6+6 for the d12 (moving 7-12 spaces). We'll see if it's a game-breaker.

If I understand the rules correctly, you can Impulse a certain number of non-random spaces for free, right?

Yes. And the # for impulse declines with the bigger ships.

Having minimum distances like that would be a much worse fix than the problem unless you started house ruling ALL die rolls like that at which point you have a different game.

Try the game as-is. You're given 3 rolls (potentially 4 if you load multiple engine outfits) to move a turn. It would be rare that all 3 or 4 are 1's and 2's. Sometimes your engine misfires. Sometimes asteroids wreck your ship. These things happen. This isn't a euro cube pusher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ship abilities are one of the most interesting and powerful parts of the game. One of the tier 1 abilities is the high chance of adding 3+ distance to your engines. Making a tier 3 engine be d6+6 kills all that value. As is, it's one of the better (but not clearly best) ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Try the game as-is.

Just to be clear, I'm totally ok with playing it as-is. I'm ok with dice and randomness in games, I was just throwing out an alternative to buying new dice.

As anyone who's played Kerbal Space Program can attest, crazy stuff happens in space, even on the most well-planned voyages. Getting to your destination and then rolling a 1 is no different to me than hitting spacebar just before touchdown to drop your engines instead of hitting X to shut them off.

Did that last night on my 40th space flight with what could possibly be classified as a Tier III ship, in KSP terms. So ruling out the possibility of high-dollar equipment crapping out, or an experienced pilot hitting the wrong button, would take a lot of the fun out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyinsar -
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Average rolls:
D6=3.5
D8=4.5
D12=6.5
The quickest way to remove some of the randomness but still maintain those averages is to make the following substitutions:
D6 -> D4+1
D8 -> D4+2 or D6+1
D12 -> D6+3 or D8+2

I plan on playing the game as designed but I could see offering players the option to roll either the standard die or one of the listed alternatives.

As mentioned, "impulse" also helps mitigate the randomness some. Additionally, the randomness is very much part of this game - the biggest task here is not making a plan and keeping it but rather continually adapting several plans and possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digter
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem with the movement rules using engines. Most of the time It's basically 3d6, 3d8 or 3d12. I think it just feels worse because you roll one die at time and therefore 1's feel so much more painfull. In reality it's a lot like the movement in Merchant of Venus really. With the exeption that you have your impulse to rely on which makes it even less random?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skobbolop wrote:
I don't see the problem with the movement rules using engines. Most of the time It's basically 3d6, 3d8 or 3d12. I think it just feels worse because you roll one die at time and therefore 1's feel so much more painfull. In reality it's a lot like the movement in Merchant of Venus really. With the exeption that you have your impulse to rely on which makes it even less random?

It's a little worse than this, because you may need to save some markers for shields, missiles, or blasters, so if you are counting on even a minimal die roll for a move to attack, you can get completely messed up.

Our group is going to try the following next game: Roll the engine die as normal, but minimum move = Impulse. This actually leaves some incentive to stick with lower tier ships for certain types of play, as most of them have higher impulse (offset by the fact that tier 2-3 ships should have better engines).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.