Popular Tags: [View All]
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario tournament format is an attempt to mix up the tournament metagame a bit. Rather than designing a fleet for a single scenario, as we do for WizKids' organized play, here there are a range of scenarios which might occur in any given round.

At the beginning of the tournament, each player will submit a fleet build of 120 SP. This fleet will be used for every round of the tournament. Each fleet may include a single resource. No Admiral's Orders will be used. No individual ship may be built with more than 60 SP (Reinforcements or other factors may change this during the game).

At the beginning of each round (except the last), after pairings have occurred, the Tournament Organizer (TO) will roll 2d6 and consult the following chart to determine the scenario for the round. Every table will play the same scenario.

Scenario Chart:
2*- Mirror Universe (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17245701#17245701)
3- Strange New World (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17748394#17748394)
4- Twin Planets (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17245696#17245696)
5- Wormhole Exploration (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17257639#17257639)
6- Energy Flux (Energy Flux sector condition and 3 small obstacles per player)
7- Nemesis (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17958975#17958975)
8- Nebula (Nebula sector condition and a central planet)
9- Mining Outpost (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17964160#17964160)
10- Rescue (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17964213#17964213)
11- Diplomacy Under Fire (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18020919#18020919)
12- Tholian Redux (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17257244#17257244)

* For the last round, re-roll if the scenario is Mirror Universe.

Tournament ranking will be by win/loss record, with total victory points serving as a tie-breaker. Each round players will score 120 victory points, minus their opponents surviving fleet SP. Most scenarios also have ways to earn bonus victory points, which are added to the standard score.

(At this point, I might add details or clarifications, but I shouldn't be making significant changes before Genghis Con. If some become necessary, I'll be sure to update in big type. If you're going to be in Denver for the con, good hunting to you.)

(Updating the format to reflect a few years' worth of OP format changes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm working on a format for a scenario-based tournament. I ran one last year at Genghis Con, but I was a bit constrained in my choices because I couldn't get advanced notice to my players. (I didn't want to have a bunch of missions that required away team crew, and have someone show up with a Klingon swarm or something.) My hope is that, by making the scenarios in the format available before the tournament, people can at least have fair warning of any requirements they may face.

The objective is to spread out the metagame a bit, by providing various challenges that you might be asked to meet with your fleet. Some might require being in more than one place at once. Some might require crew.

I've got some ideas already, and I'll be posting them up here for the community to pick apart. Other ideas are welcome; I may not use them in the tournament, but if nothing else they can inspire scenarios for friendly play elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Twin Planets

Background: Your fleet has warped into this system tracking a strange subspace signal. It originates from twin planets, and interference between the two transmitters is rendering the signal unintelligible. If you can get simultaneous reception from in orbit of each planet, you should be able to remove the interference and decipher the message.

Unfortunately, someone else has arrived with the same idea. Your first priority is to get the signal. But if that seems impossible, make sure no one else gets it before help can arrive.

Setup: Place two planets, one in each player's right hand corner of the board. 8 inches (Range 2) from each board edge to the nearest edge of the planet. Each player sets up within their starting area, 4" into the map by 12" about the center of the map.

Special Rules: You may disengage with any or all of your ships, once you have decoded the signal. You must disengage through your start area.

Bonus victory points: +100 points if you can finish the activation phase with a ship in orbit of each planet (decoding the signal), then disengage through your starting area with at least one ship.

(Notes: +100 points is high, but no one managed to complete this mission last time I tried it. I think it's achievable, though, so I'd like to give it another try.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Mirror Universe

Background: Following a transporter accident, you find yourself in a parallel universe. The nearby fleet is hostile: you'll have to take care of them before figuring out how to get back.

Setup: Place a single planet in the middle of the field. Set up your fleet within your starting area: 4" into the map by 12" about the center of the map. The front of each ship can be no more than 90° away from directly facing your opponent's side of the table.

Now switch places with your opponent. You will be playing their fleet this round.

Bonus victory points: none.
(Note: The setup gets a little wordy. But as pointed out in the feedback below, it's necessary to prevent degenerate conditions. I wanted to keep the chaos of having to form up after your opponent sets up your fleet, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Scenario: Twin planets

Hilariously easy for Borg.

Bwian wrote:

If I knew this was on the list, I would only take ships with no reverse maneuvers. If this were rolled, I'd then set up all my ships facing straight off the board and then watch my opponent lose five seconds in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tsuyoshikentsu wrote:
Bwian wrote:

Bwian wrote:

If I knew this was on the list, I would only take ships with no reverse maneuvers. If this were rolled, I'd then set up all my ships facing straight off the board and then watch my opponent lose five seconds in.

You only get the one fleet. So where are you getting your fleet of Borg with no reverse maneuvers? robot

Good point about the Mirror Universe one, though. I thought of people spreading out support fleets and such, but clearly the Setup needs to be a little more detailed.

I'm less clear on your objection to Twin Planets. Is it just that a Borg-naught is going to one-shot anything that moves toward their end of the board? Or are you looking at a double Sphere build that just bulls through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Tholian Redux

Background: You have been sent to investigate strange energy readings near Tholian space. You would think after all these years, Command would have learned better...

Setup: As for the Tholian Web OP

Special Rules: The board reduces in size as with the Tholian Web scenario.

The energy draining properties of the Tholian Web mean that any emplaced weapons have a limited lifetime before they become inert. In the End Phase of every turn, remove any weapon tokens that have a mission token on them. Then place a mission token on all remaining weapon tokens.

Bonus victory points: None

(Notes: My original design was for a collapsing space-time bubble, with every edge of the board moving in at the end of each turn. But with WK providing terrain elements for a conceptually similar scenario, I'm willing to use their stuff instead.

I did try to ameliorate one issue in the OP. Others remain, unless I can come up with a good way to get around them as well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Wormhole Exploration

Background: A new wormhole has been discovered. Your fleet has been tasked with exploring the wormhole, returning the information to the nearest Starbase, and preventing any other galactic powers from staking a claim.

Setup: Place a wormhole token in the center of the board, major axis parallel to the player edges. Players set up their fleets anywhere within 4" of their table edge.

Special Rules:
Wormhole: Any ship whose movement template or base overlaps the wormhole token has entered the wormhole. They are immediately removed from the board, and placed on or aside their ship card. Each end phase, they place one mission token on their ship card.

In the planning phase, any ship with 3-5 mission tokens on its ship card may return through the wormhole. Place that ship on the board in any orientation and location, touching the wormhole token. (If multiple ships are through the wormhole, secretly indicate which ones are coming back, then reveal simultaneously. Then place returning ships on the board in movement order.) One ship from each fleet that has explored the wormhole may disengage from their table edge for a victory point bonus.

If one fleet is ever absent from the board, the game ends. Any ships from that fleet on the other side of the wormhole are counted as destroyed: they can't safely come back through the wormhole, and returning with the warp engines will take around 70 years. If the replicators hold out.

Bonus victory points: +50 points if a ship which has made it through the wormhole disengages from their starting table edge. Only one ship may claim this bonus per fleet. Any other ships in your fleet which disengage will count as destroyed.

(Notes: I figure if the ship is exploring the new quadrant of space for six turns, they've probably run into some sort of trouble. That's how it seems to work on the show, anyway. At least the lure of exploration keeps people from shooting each other on the other side of the wormhole.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
tsuyoshikentsu wrote:
Bwian wrote:

Bwian wrote:

You only get the one fleet. So where are you getting your fleet of Borg with no reverse maneuvers? robot

Good point about the Mirror Universe one, though. I thought of people spreading out support fleets and such, but clearly the Setup needs to be a little more detailed.

I'm less clear on your objection to Twin Planets. Is it just that a Borg-naught is going to one-shot anything that moves toward their end of the board? Or are you looking at a double Sphere build that just bulls through?

The twin planets sort of require at least 2 ships because they both have to be in orbit (you'll have to explain what that means) at the same time around different planets. So a Borg supercube all by itself will be SOL I think. But the planets (which other people have maneuver around) do seem to favor the borg.

If you make the board a "floating board" you wouldn't have his issue but you'd have to change the disengagement to some distance away from the other ships or something. Or let the opposing person who will play his ships do the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:

Background: A new wormhole has been discovered. Your fleet has been tasked with exploring the wormhole, returning the information to the nearest Starbase, and preventing any other galactic powers from staking a claim.

Setup: Place a wormhole token in the center of the board, major axis parallel to the player edges. Players set up their fleets anywhere within 4" of their table edge.

Special Rules:
Wormhole: Any ship whose movement template or base overlaps the wormhole token has entered the wormhole. They are immediately removed from the board, and placed on or aside their ship card. Each end phase, they place one mission token on their ship card.

In the planning phase, any ship with 3-5 mission tokens on its ship card may return through the wormhole. Place that ship on the board in any orientation and location, touching the wormhole token. (If multiple ships are through the wormhole, secretly indicate which ones are coming back, then reveal simultaneously. Then place returning ships on the board in movement order.) One ship from each fleet that has explored the wormhole may disengage from their table edge for a victory point bonus.

If one fleet is ever absent from the board, the game ends. Any ships from that fleet on the other side of the wormhole are counted as destroyed: they can't safely come back through the wormhole, and returning with the warp engines will take around 70 years. If the replicators hold out.

Bonus victory points: +50 points if a ship which has made it through the wormhole disengages from their starting table edge. Only one ship may claim this bonus per fleet. Any other ships in your fleet which disengage will count as destroyed.

(Notes: I figure if the ship is exploring the new quadrant of space for six turns, they've probably run into some sort of trouble. That's how it seems to work on the show, anyway. At least the lure of exploration keeps people from shooting each other on the other side of the wormhole.)

So you need at least 2 ships because one has to traverse the wormhole while the other(s) stay in the alpha quadrant. If the Alpha quadrant ships are destroyed before the other ship returns you lose. So this favors multiple ships (like the Klingon 3-4 ship build) over the normal 100 point Fed build which often has 2 ships because there is less room for error. Though loss of synergy could affect both. So since you get no points for destroying your enemies, you would tend to want to take very defensive ships, though destroying the other fleet might keep them from satisfying their victory conditions (you just don't get points for the actual destruction).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:

Background: (Note: sorry, not very creative ATM. Closely related to the Tholian Web OP event, obviously)

Setup: As for the Tholian Web OP

Special Rules: The board reduces in size as with the Tholian Web scenario.

The energy draining properties of the Tholian Web mean that any emplaced weapons have a limited lifetime before they become inert. In the End Phase of every turn, remove any weapon tokens that have a mission token on them. Then place a mission token on all remaining weapon tokens.

Bonus victory points: None

(Notes: My original design was for a collapsing space-time bubble, with every edge of the board moving in at the end of each turn. But with WK providing terrain elements for a conceptually similar scenario, I'm willing to use their stuff instead.

I did try to ameliorate one issue in the OP. Others remain, unless I can come up with a good way to get around them as well.)

I'm not clear what an emplaced weapon is (and you shouldn't assume the players know how the tholian scenario worked AND that they went home with tholian web tokens (enough of them). Is an emplaced weapon a weapon upgrade on their ship? Does that mean that weapon upgrades only work for 2 turns? Or two turns from the time they are actually used? Is the objective to destroy your opponent?

See the Tholian scenario was interesting, but I really wanted to destroy the Tholians and it was frustrating that the scenario didn't let me. Being able to destroy the web-layers would add a nice aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest. A few replies:

carbon_dragon wrote:
Bwian wrote:

So you need at least 2 ships because one has to traverse the wormhole while the other(s) stay in the alpha quadrant. If the Alpha quadrant ships are destroyed before the other ship returns you lose. So this favors multiple ships (like the Klingon 3-4 ship build) over the normal 100 point Fed build which often has 2 ships because there is less room for error. Though loss of synergy could affect both. So since you get no points for destroying your enemies, you would tend to want to take very defensive ships, though destroying the other fleet might keep them from satisfying their victory conditions (you just don't get points for the actual destruction).

I didn't mean to imply that you don't get points for destroying opposing ships. The bonus victory points are supposed to add to that. I should probably mark that down explicitly somewhere.

One goal of this format is to pull people in varying directions. So yes, this scenario wants to have multiple ships. A few of the scenarios will have Crew-dependent missions, with away teams able to collect bonus VPs. Others will just be straight-up combat, like the ones near the middle of the current distribution.

The thematic goal is to have a fleet that is capable of handling a variety of missions without reinforcement. The gameplay goal is to get people to think about more dimensions when they are building a fleet.

carbon_dragon wrote:
Bwian wrote:

I'm not clear what an emplaced weapon is (and you shouldn't assume the players know how the tholian scenario worked AND that they went home with tholian web tokens (enough of them). Is an emplaced weapon a weapon upgrade on their ship? Does that mean that weapon upgrades only work for 2 turns? Or two turns from the time they are actually used? Is the objective to destroy your opponent?

See the Tholian scenario was interesting, but I really wanted to destroy the Tholians and it was frustrating that the scenario didn't let me. Being able to destroy the web-layers would add a nice aspect.

Emplaced weapons are any token that causes damage. Mostly mines, at this point, although I wanted to use a little more generic language in case something new gets released before February. My original thought was anything that doesn't have its own warp core would be affected, but then I had to add special rules for warp core breaches and the Apnex, and that got too fiddly. Anyway, the idea is that any object without a warp core will lose its stored power in two turns, whether it fires or not.

For my prototype tournament, I'm only allowing four tables (8 seats), so I think I have access to enough Tholian web tokens. But if I'm wrong, I'll have to break out the twine or something. My original "collapsing warp bubble" idea would have needed that, anyway.

I'll have to think about destroying the web-layers. I like how they reduce the size of the board, though, so I'd hate to see their webs disappear the way the normal ones do. I suppose I can just say these are dedicated ships that have traded offensive capability for more enduring web generation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Strange New World

Background: An anomalous energy signal has been detected by a long-range survey mission, and you've been asked to investigate. The signal is coming from a Class D planet, and is strong enough to interfere with targeting sensors near the source. Investigate, but be careful: an opposing task force seems to have the same idea.

Setup: Place a planet token in the center of the board. Players set up their fleets anywhere within 4" of their table edge.

Special Rules:
Electromagnetic interference: Ships that are close to the planet may spend an action to take detailed readings of the EM interference. Ships with the Scan action on their action bar may do this out to Range 3 from the planet; ships without the Scan action must close to Range 1. Each ship may only perform this action once: place a mission token on their ship card to indicate that they have taken their readings.

Any ship within Range 2 of the planet is more difficult to attack: halve the number of attack dice rolled. (Round up: 5/2 = 3 dice rolled.) If the attacker has scanned the planet (has a mission token), then they may ignore this penalty.

Bonus victory points: +10 points per mission token collected. Destroyed or disengaged ships do not get this bonus.

(Notes: Mostly a straight-up fight, but with a minor bonus available for the cost of an action.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Nemesis

Background: You've hunted your prey across the stars, determined to revenge yourself upon them. Banding together with some like-minded captains, you have managed to bring the enemy to battle in a remote corner of space. Engage now, but remember: his blood is yours alone!

Setup: Each player places three small terrain pieces around the board. Alternate placement, with no terrain within Range 2 of another piece of terrain.

Special Rules:
Nemesis: Each ship designates an opposing ship as its nemesis. Multiple ships may choose the same nemesis. When attacking its nemesis, roll +1 attack die (first attack per turn only: this revenge is served hot). When attacked by its nemesis, roll -1 defense die (first attack per turn only).

Bonus victory points:
+10 points per ship that destroys its nemesis. This can be by direct fire, inflicted criticals, muon tokens: any source attributable to the ship. Yes, this means you have to remember which mines and criticals go with which ship. (Captains cowardly enough to disengage also count as destroyed by their nemesis.)

-10 points per ship that fails to destroy its nemesis. Either the nemesis survives, or an allied ship managed to destroy it. If you have more ships than your opponent, then you may ignore this penalty a number of times each to your excess ships. E.g. If you have 4 ships, and lose everything to your opponents 2-ship fleet without destroying anyone, you will get -20 points total.

(Notes: More attacking, I guess. I generally think attack is already pretty strong, but it fits the theme so well...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Missed this thread back when you started it...love the ideas. Nice to see some basic scenarios that are not too contrived (like RiF) but more than blank space or just planet in the middle.

Are you taking suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Missed this thread back when you started it...love the ideas. Nice to see some basic scenarios that are not too contrived (like RiF) but more than blank space or just planet in the middle.

Thanks. I wanted to take things in a few different directions, without being so far out there that a generalist fleet couldn't compete.

dc0nklin wrote:

In theory, yes. I want to get this iteration of the rules finalized soon, though: the tournament is in five weeks, and I want people to have some planning time if they want it. But I'm hoping to keep the format going, even if it's only at Denver-area conventions, so any suggestions I don't get to this time would certainly be helpful in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Mining Outpost

Background: A mining outpost has reported finding rich deposits of dilithium, before suddenly ceasing communication. You were sent to investigate. Upon entering the system, you were able to intercept radio transmissions: apparently, a rival outpost was located, and the ensuing struggle seems to have destroyed most of both outposts' equipment. Beam down to the planet, rescue the miners, and return them home.

Setup: Place a planet token in the center of the board. Place an objective token (a moon) Range 1 away from the planet, the same distance from both player edges. Players set up their fleets anywhere within 4" of their table edge.

Special Rules:
Rescue the miners: You may beam down crew and captains, per the away team rules. (I'll reproduce them here if I get a chance.) In the end phase, place one mission token on the away team for each card (crew upgrade or captain) in the away team. Each fleet has only six survivors to rescue, so this is the maximum number of mission tokens each side may acquire.

Ships that are carrying survivors may disengage without penalty, off their starting side of the board. If they do so, they may not return.

Bonus victory points: +10 points per mission token collected. Mission tokens on destroyed ships, or still on the planet when all friendly ships are destroyed, do not count for this bonus. Mission tokens on ships which disengaged from their starting side do count for this bonus.

(Notes: Mostly a straight-up fight, with a little something extra for people to throw crew at.

Oh, and the moon doesn't do anything. Just sits there and revolves around the planet, looking pretty in the night sky.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:

In theory, yes. I want to get this iteration of the rules finalized soon, though: the tournament is in five weeks, and I want people to have some planning time if they want it. But I'm hoping to keep the format going, even if it's only at Denver-area conventions, so any suggestions I don't get to this time would certainly be helpful in the future.

Awesome. One that immediately came to mind (trying to follow your format):

Scenario: Rescue

Background: A life pod containing an influential alien ambassador has been jettisoned and floats in space. Your fleet has been tasked with locating the life pod, returning it safely to the nearest Starbase, and preventing any other galactic powers from claiming it.

Setup: Players set up their fleets anywhere within 4" of their table edge.

Special Rules:
Find Life Pod: Any ship within Range 1 of the center of the map may spend an action to scan for the life pod. Ships with the Scan action on their action bar may do this out to Range 2. Each ship may perform this only once per turn. Roll one Attack die. On a result of [Critical Hit] the Life Pod has been located. Place a mission token at the center of the board to indicate the life pod. It can not be placed on top of a ship.

Retrieve Life Pod: Once the life pod mission token has been placed on the board, any ship whose movement template or base overlaps the mission token has retrieved the life pod. The mission token is removed from the board and placed on the corresponding ship card.

Bonus victory points: +50 points if a ship which has the mission token disengages from their starting table edge. Any other ships in your fleet which disengage will count as destroyed.

(The idea with the [Crit] result is to make it a little hard to find the life pod. Also, there may be a bit of cat and mouse because once it is found, everyone knows where it is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Diplomacy Under Fire

Background: An independent system has found itself in a strategic location in ongoing hostilities, and has been playing both sides of the fence for months. Your task force has been sent to get a treaty signed, or get a definitive "no". As might be expected, news of your visit was leaked, and an opposing task force has shown up with a similar mandate.

Setup: Place a planet token in the center of the board. Place small station token (stats 4/0/2/6) Range 1 away from the planet, the same distance from both player edges. Players set up their fleets anywhere within 4" of their table edge.

Special Rules:
Diplomatic Mission: You may beam away teams to the planet, per the standard rules. In the End Phase of any turn that you have an away team on the planet, roll an attack die (no substituting the die, although modifying it is possible). On a hit or battlestations result, gain 1 influence (mission token). On a critical result, a diplomatic incident has taken place: unique captains are experienced enough to work through these issues and gain 1 influence if they are on the away team. If no unique captain is present, los1 influence (minimum 0).

After both players have rolled, if one player has three more influence than the other, they have gotten their treaty signed. If either player has five or more influence, then a margin of one influence is needed.

Station: Any player attacking or otherwise affecting the station will cause a serious breach in diplomatic talks: the opposing player will automatically get their treaty signed in the end phase. (If both players do this, for some unknown reason, the first one to attack will lose the treaty.)

The station will not fire on either player until a treaty is signed, at which point it comes under the control of the signing player. Collisions affect ships as for a standard obstacle, but the station is not damaged. (This doesn't count as an attack.)

Bonus victory points: +50 points if the planet signs your treaty. You will also get use of the space station, although it will not count as part of your surviving fleet if it should survive. If a treaty is signed, any ship may disengage from their table edge: however, away teams that are not retrieved do not count as suviving.

(Notes: I wanted an excuse to get unique captains off their ships, and a diplomatic mission seemed the most likely reason.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grr. You'd think a professional programmer could handle a markup language correctly. angry

Anyway, feel free to ignore this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally ran a tournament in this format: only 4 people, but we did play three rounds. Seemed to go OK. The scenarios were, in order: Nemesis, Energy Flux, and Twin Planets.

People seemed to enjoy the scenarios, especially the terrain considerations. We've apparently had too many empty fields lately. Nemesis was hard to keep track of: people would remember to add 1 attack die when attacking their nemesis, but it is harder to remember to lose 1 defense die when they attack back. (Not because people were being creatively forgetful, either. It's just easier to remember the nemesis thing going one way than the other, apparently.) I might simplify that in the future.

The big thing is that fleet point totals for the different rounds were very different. I probably need to normalize the values across rounds in some way: the Twin Planets round was very high scoring (last time I ran that scenario, no one completed it; this time, everyone did!), and the Nemesis scenario tends to significantly increase the bonus for winning and the penalty for losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.