Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yigit Yurt
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

If this asked before i'm sorry but i couldn't see it.

I bought the base game and those exoansions:

Star Realms: Crisis – Bases & Battleships
Star Realms: Crisis – Events
Star Realms: Crisis – Fleets & Fortresses
Star Realms: Crisis – Heroes
Star Realms: Gambit Set

How can i combine this expansions with the base game. should i basically add all the cards to base game or do i choose a few cards from an expansion or choose one or two complete expansion?

Probably all of the options that mentioned above can work, but i'm not sure how bigger deck size affect the gameplay.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Thnx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gambit set has special rules and doesn't really get added to the main deck.
For the Crisis expansions, I believe that you just add it to the deck. So long as the pack is balanced between the colors, it really shouldn't have that large of an impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mirko tebaldi
Italy
flag msg tools
If you have multiple decks in play you can/must/should add:
- one crysis expansion per kind for each deck in play
- only one 'event' crysis expansion
- only one 'gambit' to the game

This reply is due to a similar reply into official blog in the presentation of crysis expasions article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eakins
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 1 expansion pack that came with 8 Machine cult Bases and 2 Star Empire Bases how do you add these to the game it looks like it would throw the balance way off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiv@n Shiv@n
France
POITIERS
flag msg tools
It is not an expansion pack but a promo kit (for tournament and stuff like that)

If you read the thread about the promos on the official site, you can see that, in this case, you need to add 1 fortress oblivion and 2 starbase omega to the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Newburg
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In revisiting this, I have been fortunate enough to get access to all 4 packs. My set is currently running the base game, all 4 expansions, and the 3 Merc Cruisers from the Gambit set.

To clarify, the rest of the Gambit set has differently colored cardbacks. The Merc Cruiser (depicted in the kickstarter avatar in the digital game) has a standard cardback, and thus I interpret that they are suggesting they be added to a standard deck. It comes with 3 copies.

Anyway, to my point here... The Trade Deck is now 131 cards. As I had hoped, the ratios are not really affected. I think the concern was mostly over new card types and how it could muck up the balance. It doesn't end up being the case. The Events occur immediately, and then scrap (thus replace) themselves. The Heroes go straight into play when purchased, and only go away if scrapped. So neither ever enter your discard pile or clutter your hand.

One thing that is interesting is seeing Less of the cards youre used to seeing gobs of. Maybe I like playing Cutters. With 80 in the row, you are bound to see 2 Cutters in many games, some 3. With 131, those 3-of's might come up one per game. It forces you to stop playing by habit and find creative new routes to finish off your foes.

The new ships and bases are an interesting mix. Some continue to build on existing themes. For example green gets even better Trade Row manipulation. Other cards instead continue to define the factions, broadening their abilities. Another example in green, where one new ship will go berserk if Your Opponent controls 2 bases.

I think the guys are going in a good direction with everything. 100% positive so far after 3 nights with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Red
msg tools
TheCutter wrote:
In revisiting this, I have been fortunate enough to get access to all 4 packs. My set is currently running the base game, all 4 expansions, and the 3 Merc Cruisers from the Gambit set.

To clarify, the rest of the Gambit set has differently colored cardbacks. The Merc Cruiser (depicted in the kickstarter avatar in the digital game) has a standard cardback, and thus I interpret that they are suggesting they be added to a standard deck. It comes with 3 copies.

Anyway, to my point here... The Trade Deck is now 131 cards. As I had hoped, the ratios are not really affected. I think the concern was mostly over new card types and how it could muck up the balance. It doesn't end up being the case. The Events occur immediately, and then scrap (thus replace) themselves. The Heroes go straight into play when purchased, and only go away if scrapped. So neither ever enter your discard pile or clutter your hand.

One thing that is interesting is seeing Less of the cards youre used to seeing gobs of. Maybe I like playing Cutters. With 80 in the row, you are bound to see 2 Cutters in many games, some 3. With 131, those 3-of's might come up one per game. It forces you to stop playing by habit and find creative new routes to finish off your foes.

The new ships and bases are an interesting mix. Some continue to build on existing themes. For example green gets even better Trade Row manipulation. Other cards instead continue to define the factions, broadening their abilities. Another example in green, where one new ship will go berserk if Your Opponent controls 2 bases.

I think the guys are going in a good direction with everything. 100% positive so far after 3 nights with it.

Thanks for the update! I'm incredibly jealous that you've gotten your hands on the expansion already, but am glad to hear that it doesn't muck up the game.

The one aspect I hadn't really considered is how you're going to see less of the cards you're used to seeing, with your example of the Cutters being perfect. It really is going to force you to make some new and different decisions, which, while no two games are similar now, there are definite themes you keep seeing - trying to get your deck trimmed down with Machine Cult, for example.

Have you found that the game length has changed at all? How do you like Events and Heroes? Would you say the expansion creates more or takes away some of the variance wherein a really good opening Trade Row and going first could easily put you at a big advantage?

Also, the group I play with, for the most part, all readily use the Merc Cruisers in our decks, along with the few promos we've acquired along the way. I would say you're right in them being included. Plus, they're just a fun little card to toy around with.

Am curious to hear your thoughts and thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Newburg
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Game length is unaffected except that a few events that are intended to alter Just That. And of course natural pauses in play to interpret new concepts and discuss.

The Events have been interesting to get used to. You cannot really plan for or build strategies around them. They happen so sporadically, and then resolve immediately. In addition, some help you, some hurt you, some a combination. Some even have different effects for each player.

The Heroes Im still deciding. Not whether I like them, but instead whether I feel they pull their weight strategically. They are certainly fun, and change things up.

I do not feel that any of the game's core balance has shifted. It will still be quite hard to know whether its better to play or start with 5. The factions remain consistent in ratios and power. I will say that opening row events do create interesting starts. For instance, one event gives the player on the turn 4 resource, and the other player 2 cards. So if on the draw, that means Player 1 will have as many as 7 to spend, and player 2 will start with 7 cards. As I type it, it sounds Game Altering. Keep in mind, however that this is One Card in my now 131 card deck. And for it to feel broken, it has to show in the opening row.

So far Really enjoying the Merc Cruisers... Again not new. But new to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I've played with the Kickstarter/Gambit cards. They're fun for sure and didn't seem to ruin the game. Although it did ruin my game when my deck had 2 survey ships, a Stealth Needle and a Merc Cruiser. Those cards don't really go together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.