Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions for people who have played with a lot of the promos.

1. Do you usually include the promos in your games?
2. Are any of them over powered. i.e you wouldn't want to play with them?
3. Do you feel like this is a good purchase for someone who is new to the Among the Stars world or would you stick with the base game for quite a while before purchasing?
4. Would you rather have this or Ambassadors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is:

Play the base game first like 10 times or so.
You can then easily combine with the Expanding The Alliance Promos.

My personal opinion is they released The Ambassadors too soon. I own a copy, but have only played once with it, as the Base game and promos still offer lots to discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EtA is by far the easier expansion to integrate, but it does not increase the diversity of choices and gameplay nearly as much as ambassadors either.

EtA requires no additional rules beyond learning how the dual-type locations work and the nuances of the new races, which are pretty straightforward. Additionally, setup remains the same as all you have to do is shuffle in the new races when dealing out races and shuffle the new locations into the special deck (since all EtA locations are special).

Ambassadors introduces new basic locations, which really ups the diversity in each game, because now you don't have the same core deck in every game, and of course, the ambassadors themselves which definitely change the game up. It's a more complicated expansion by far, which could be good or bad depending on your group and how you want to enjoy the game.

If you want a good expansion that adds some variety while not increasing complexity, go for EtA. If you want to add more strategic depth, while being prepared to increase complexity (as well as setup/teardown time), Ambassadors is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
I have a couple of questions for people who have played with a lot of the promos.

1. Do you usually include the promos in your games?

Well, I always run with the extra basic/special location cards. More variety & some really interesting effects on them!

As far as other stuff (Conflicts/Events/etc) almost never, as I frequently have new players in the game. Out of 30 plays I've used them only a handful of times, and while I've enjoyed them have never felt like I need them or anything.

Quote:
2. Are any of them over powered. i.e you wouldn't want to play with them?

Not that I can think of. Out of all expansions/promo's, I'm only tempted to remove the locations referring to ambassadors just to make setup easier ^^. (or avoid having a newbie confused when they have a card referring to them which has been left in).

Quote:
3. Do you feel like this is a good purchase for someone who is new to the Among the Stars world or would you stick with the base game for quite a while before purchasing?

I got both games together and I think its' fine to run with the extra's from the get-go. On the other hand, you'll get plenty of playability from the base game!

Quote:
4. Would you rather have this or Ambassadors?

I think Ambassadors. It's just got more stuff. I don't think either is necessarily 'better' than the other though, at least not without deliberately splitting up my stuff to compare ^^.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.