Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I know that is a lot of criteria. Just wanted to give you a feel for what I have in mind. Suggestions certainly need not meet all these conditions. In any event, some of my favorites of this type are:

Finca
Five Tribes
Splendor
Through the Desert
Metropolys
Hey, That's My Fish!

I think what a lot of these games have in common is that they have greater strategic depth than one might see at first glance. Thanks for your suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason these games have "greater strategic depth" as you put it - is because they might as well be abstracts. Have you taken a look at the GIPF series?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
pacman88k wrote:
The reason these games have "greater strategic depth" as you put it - is because they might as well be abstracts. Have you taken a look at the GIPF series?

I think I have a couple in my wish list, but I haven't looked too closely. Do any of them have random setups? I'm too lazy to invest a ton of time in one game that always starts the same way (learning optimal openings, etc.). I prefer to analyze a varied starting game state on the fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following all have random setup and open information:

More "euro" than "abstract":
Kingdom Builder (also has randomness during play)
Clans (has secret goals, but you seem cool with that since you like Metropolys)
König von Siam
Stephenson's Rocket (arguably better with 2 players)

More "abstract" than "euro":
TZAAR
Alien City
Witch Stones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhuggins123 wrote:
I think I have a couple in my wish list, but I haven't looked too closely. Do any of them have random setups? I'm too lazy to invest a ton of time in one game that always starts the same way (learning optimal openings, etc.). I prefer to analyze a varied starting game state on the fly.

Then you might also enjoy some abstracts which don't have random setup but have an initial placement phase of placing many pieces onto the board before the "main" phase of moving pieces begins. In practice the openings are typically different every time. E.g.:

Arimaa
DVONN
YINSH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:
The following all have random setup and open information:

More "euro" than "abstract":
Kingdom Builder (also has randomness during play)
Clans (has secret goals, but you seem cool with that since you like Metropolys)
König von Siam
Stephenson's Rocket (arguably better with 2 players)

More "abstract" than "euro":
TZAAR
Alien City
Witch Stones

Excellent, thanks!

I have played Kingdom Builder and Konig von Siam once each and would like to get them back to the table. For whatever reason, Konig von Siam is a tough sell.

Stephenson's Rocket is on my wishlist as I'm waiting to get it for a decent price via auction.

Clans is exactly what I'm looking for. How have I not heard of it?

Will check out the abstract games as well! Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for TZAAR. You can do fixed OR random setup, and it is very tactical. Definitely my favourite of the GIPF series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might enjoy Taluva. It's a solid, tactical abstract euro that plays well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poserdisposer wrote:
You might enjoy Taluva. It's a solid, tactical abstract euro that plays well with two.

True, but not much of a random setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhuggins123 wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

ALL of the GIPF games have random setups/first moves.

Taluva is a good game that fits your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
ALL of the GIPF games have random setups/first moves.

Taluva is a good game that fits your criteria.

What do you mean by "random setup"?

(And are you saying "random first moves"? What is random about the first move in GIPF?)

Taluva and GIPF (and ZERTZ and YINSH and DVONN and PUNCT) start with empty boards, and players begin taking their turns, with their player decisions determining what goes onto the board. (Granted Taluva has random tile drawing as part of the player's turn.) The only GIPF game with random setup is TZAAR (which has random setup as one of its options.)

To me, that's not at all "random setup". If GIPF (a game which starts with an empty board (or in its introductory version with a fixed setup of 3 GIPF pieces per plays) and which has no randomness nor hidden information during play) has "random setup", then you're using the term "random setup" so broadly that every game, including Chess and Go, has "random setup", it seems to me. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy - It might take a little longer than an hour at first, but our 2p games go an hour or less after several plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Relic Runners might work for you. It does have a small amount of hidden information, but fits otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Hey, That's My Fish!, give Battle Sheep a try. It's all but replaced Hey thats my fish! for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd really enjoy Hansa Teutonica, though the setup isn't random other than the bonus tiles. It is basically an abstract. 2-player is wretched, but supposedly the new expansion is going to fix that. Or is it a stand alone version? I can't remember, but I'm excited for it regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TASH KALAR. I just remembered that one! It doesn't get enough love (it is expensive), but it is a great abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks again for all of the responses!

Definite buys thus far:

Clans
TZAAR (with random setup)
Samurai (with random setup and random starting hand of tiles?)

Still looking at videos of the other suggestions. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.