Subject: A new scale of epic: 2v2v2 Team Conquest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of really awesome PBF action going on right now. I'm in three different games, but I'm not moderating anything, and that's a cryin' shame.
The 6 player vs. Volkare we've got going on is sweet, but I have a long term partiality to the Conquest scenario. This, then, is my proposal:

-Teams of either 3/3 or 2/2/2. Both of these sound pretty awesome.
-Full Conquest
-A Megalopolis/Random Cities variant: Whenever a city tile is revealed, in addition to the city shown, randomly select another color city to add to it to make a Megalopolis. This means that some (if not all) cities will show up more than once.
-No PVP, since the map will already be pretty crowded.

The roster is finalized!

1. Cory B
2. Seppel
3. Philip
4. ed monk
5. Clayton Helme
6. mrfan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory B
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
I'll Take Those Fantasy Women!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A new scale of epic: 6 player Team Conquest
Funny, I was just talking about the possibility of a 2x2x2 game Definitely interested, but wil 6 knights and no rampage or PvP (which I prefer actually) dont you think the leveling up opportunities will be minimal for who goes last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppel (BGG)
Germany
Kirchzarten
B-W
flag msg tools
Meowww
mbmbmbmbmb
Since our C&H game will end pretty soon - and since I've mentioned exactly the same game format here, I would definitly be interested as well...

But: the concerns Cory mentiones are valid. I thought about some ways to fight these:
- maybe a "Blitz" scenario will be a better way to test? Knights level faster and if it doesn't work as expected it doesn't drag too long
- how about some kind of Fame bonus for the knight going last (although this is probably hard to balance...)

Anyway - I would definitly join a 2 vs 2 vs 2 game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the leveling up could be challenging. Rampage might be necessary. Depending on the players, PVP might be possible. However, it does seem like as large as the gap in players' skill is, the gap in players' PVP skill can be even higher.
Another option would be a map preconfigured by the moderator (yours truly) to ensure that there are enough options. For example, here's just one that would work:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always up for shenanigans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed monk
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Re: A new scale of epic: 2v2v2 Team Conquest - 3 more needed
Well... some familiar names here... I'm in....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A new scale of epic: 2v2v2 Team Conquest - 3 more needed
This would be my first Mage Knight PBF (i've done a few others), but I've been itching to play so count me in!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A new scale of epic: 2v2v2 Team Conquest - 1 more needed!
Need one more, and we'll have a full slate. Here's the rules, subject to any proposed modifications by the players.

1) Teams will be randomly assigned.
2) Heroes will be auctioned, with the order randomly determined. Tactic selection will be in reverse order per the rules.
3) The Rampage variant will be in use.
4) Each of the three starting tiles will have at least 2 VP sources and be suitably accessible. That is, they will be chosen from tiles 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, or 14 and randomly oriented. All other tiles will be randomly chosen and oriented.
5) Team rules apply with regards to scoring, interactive skills and spells, etc.
6) There will be three Megalopolis cities. I haven't determined the city level yet, but probably about 11. It should be pretty damn difficult for a player to tackle solo. For each city tile revealed, a random color of other city will be added to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed monk
Guatemala
flag msg tools
In a megalopolis, do the defenders get both the city bonuses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddd wrote:
In a megalopolis, do the defenders get both the city bonuses?

Yes. However, that's not the end of the world. For example, the blue city bonus is mutually exclusive with the red and green bonuses.
Also, after conquering, you can take advantage of both of the city's purchasing options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need a sixth player, I think I can handle one more PBF. Never played a team game, so interesting new concept for me. What degree of coordination/private communication? All discussion in the open or can we plot secretly via gm? (Equivalent to all open table talk or sneak off to a corner in face to face, I guess). I note team rules in the rulebook place restrictions on what we can and can't say to each other as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The relevant section of the rules state: "Rules for cooperative city assault are recommended, but you can also cooperate in other ways: You may agree who goes which way, who needs which Tactic, who would like tot ake which cards from the offer, who needs a particular color in the Source etc. However, allied players should not say which cards they have in their hand, nor help each other out on details when playing their turn (how to play cards, use Units, pay mana etc.) Each player is individually responsible for how he plays."
PBF translates slightly differently from a face to face game. You would never tell your partner, "Make sure there's a red mana in the source for my turn," when an opponent has a turn before you. You could tell him privately, but it would be aggravating to everyone else at the table if you get up and leave the room. With PBF, there isn't that problem. Feel free to strategize privately as much as possible. Two exceptions apply: Don't share your hand, and don't direct another player how to play their turn. Obviously, this isn't enforceable, but I don't think it's asking too much to expect players to abide by it.

On that note, here are the teams: 10d6 = (2 + 6 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 6 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 2) = 31
The first two unique numbers (referenced to the first post) shall be team 1, the next two unique numbers are team 2, and the remaining two are team 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 615528. SJH1510
  • 10d6 =
  • (2 + 6 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 6 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 2) =
  • Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:53 pm
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team #1:
Seppel & mrfan

Team #2:
Cory B & Clayton Helme

Team #3:
Philip & ed monk

Now rolling for hero selection order: 15d6 = (4 + 1 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 4 + 2) = 40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 615530. SJH1510
  • 15d6 =
  • (4 + 1 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 4 + 2) =
  • Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:59 pm
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Selection order:

1. ed monk - Krang
2. Cory B - Arythea
3. Clayton Helme
4. Philip
5. Seppel
6. mrfan

ed monk is on the clock to bid for the first hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory B
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJH1510 wrote:
The relevant section of the rules state: "Rules for cooperative city assault are recommended, but you can also cooperate in other ways: You may agree who goes which way, who needs which Tactic, who would like tot ake which cards from the offer, who needs a particular color in the Source etc. However, allied players should not say which cards they have in their hand, nor help each other out on details when playing their turn (how to play cards, use Units, pay mana etc.) Each player is individually responsible for how he plays."
PBF translates slightly differently from a face to face game. You would never tell your partner, "Make sure there's a red mana in the source for my turn," when an opponent has a turn before you. You could tell him privately, but it would be aggravating to everyone else at the table if you get up and leave the room. With PBF, there isn't that problem. Feel free to strategize privately as much as possible. Two exceptions apply: Don't share your hand, and don't direct another player how to play their turn. Obviously, this isn't enforceable, but I don't think it's asking too much to expect players to abide by it.

On that note, here are the teams: SJH1510 previously rolled 10d6 = (2 + 6 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 6 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 2) = 31
The first two unique numbers (referenced to the first post) shall be team 1, the next two unique numbers are team 2, and the remaining two are team 3.

In all honesty, co-op games play much better through here just because you can have those private conversations without tipping off your opponents or slowing down the game too much. The only "rule" I've had in my other games is any communication goes except flat out saying what cards you have. Typically it goes I have good movement/attack/etc and can do option 1 or 2, what do you think...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is for future reference. I'll update it over the course of the game in order to make rolling for units easier. That way you won't have to hunt and peck to find what the most recent list should be.

Keep Units

1. Crossbowmen
2. Crossbowmen
3. Crossbowmen
4. Golems
5. Golems
6. Guardsmen
7. Guardsmen
8. Guardsmen
9. Swordmen
10. Thugs
11. Thugs
12. Shocktroops
13. Heroes (red)
14. Heroes (green)

Mage Units

1. Fire Mages
2. Ice Golems
3. Ice Mages
4. Illusionist
5. Monks
6. Monks
7. Sorcerers
8. Sorcerers
9. Magic Familiars

Monster Units

1. Crypt Worm
2. Crypt Worm
3. Gargoyle
4. Medusa
5. Minotaur
6. Minotaur
7. Werewolf
8. Werewolf
9. Shadow
10. Hydra
11. Hydra

Orc Units

1. Cursed Hags
2. Cursed Hags
3. Diggers
4. Ironclads
5. Ironclads
6. Orc Summoners
7. Orc Summoners
8. Prowlers
9. Wolf Riders
10. Wolf Riders
11. Orc Skirmishers
12. Orc Skirmishers
13. Orc Trackers
14. Orc Trackers
15. Orc War Beasts
16. Orc Stone Throwers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed monk
Guatemala
flag msg tools
BID 0 ARYTHEA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory B
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bid 1 on Arythea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed monk
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Been looking at Moderators set up example map.

Not wanting to sound too down on the idea, but there are not too many ruins ( or purple tokens with move 4 needed to assault the site ) that a basic deck can do. Also Mana draw, planning and possibly great start become extra desirable.
I think of most concern ie most unbalancing would be the 7 fame 3 basic colours ruins. Very easy with right cards.
Just feels like it could be very unbalanced start.
I was wondering about 2 portals, with 3 knights from different teams starting at each one.
Just a few concerns re the practicality of the 6 knight start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppel (BGG)
Germany
Kirchzarten
B-W
flag msg tools
Meowww
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say lets give it a try the way SJH1510 prepared it.

If the gap between first and last after Round 2 is too large we still can discuss if we want to restart and try another starting setup!?
Since probably nobody has done this before we maybe just have to try-and-error...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed monk
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Yeah agreed, I just wanted to discuss a little more, as there is a potential issue here.
But I am curious about 2 portals with 3 knights at each one, any reason why that would not work?
Also. how come there is all this bidding on heroes, then tactics are not bidded on. I always feel tactic choice is way more important than hero choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddd wrote:
Yeah agreed, I just wanted to discuss a little more, as there is a potential issue here.
But I am curious about 2 portals with 3 knights at each one, any reason why that would not work?
Also. how come there is all this bidding on heroes, then tactics are not bidded on. I always feel tactic choice is way more important than hero choice.

I thought about some sort of alternate map configuration, but I felt like that could potentially be even more unbalanced. Also, it would take some finagling with VASSAL. As far as the auctioning goes, the tactic selection order is intended to offset the advantage of the player with the first selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Current status: Cory B has bid 1 for Arythea. Clayton is on the clock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory B
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since he's my partner I'm sure he'll pass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbo_234 wrote:
Since he's my partner I'm sure he'll pass

Fair enough. Otherwise, its going to be a looooong game for you guys. Philip is on the clock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.