Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The online game has obviously been hacked. In the past few days I've lost almost every game as my opponent gets very lucky draws in both the trade row and draw pile. Games are over extremely quickly as the improbable combos keep coming.

It was a fun game while it lasted.

Edit: Turns out it's not a hack but rather an exploit. See below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...that or you are just having a wicked run of bad luck. Because if you are being serious that would mean either you are just playing the same person over and over again or everyone you play against is hacking their system which - keep in mind could be PC, android or iOS users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Current game is a perfect example. I buy a base and it takes my whole deck to come out. My opponent buys a base and it comes right out. This has been happening every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
either you are just playing the same person over and over again or everyone you play against is hacking their system

I am guessing a hack has been released into the wild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
kryyst wrote:
either you are just playing the same person over and over again or everyone you play against is hacking their system

I am guessing a hack has been released into the wild.

Send it to me when you find it will you, I've lost the last eight games in a row and I had put it down to the fact that I was playing a card game that I have a 53% win rate at. Of course I had won seven of the previous eight so maybe their hacks were on the fritz then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly can't tell if this thread is serious or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Thread may have been hacked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lemons
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
realmchat.forumotion.com
badge
realmchat.forumotion.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this qualifies as a hack, but more of a fundamental flaw in how the current app handles the game state in multiplayer games. Too much of the game state data is handled client side instead of on the server. It is possible to log in on a second device, or delete local game temp files and basically replay a draw until you get what you want.

This flaw was better detailed in a post on r/starrealms that seems to have since disappeared. We can only hope that this situation is remedied soon so that we can again play fair multiplayer games and so that online tourneys are possible. I have faith that this issue will be resolved before cheaters ruin the experience, but in the mean time I'm not playing a lot of multiplayer with people I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smakx wrote:
It is possible to... basically replay a draw until you get what you want.

Thank you! I feel vindicated now. This also explains why I was seeing probability defying events, but not perfect events. You can redraw a few times to try for something better, but try it too many times and the game will time-out.

Guess I'll stick to just playing my wife until the next update.

As a programmer, I'll just say that this exploit means "shuffling" merely flips the discards over into a new deck but doesn't randomize anything. Then when there is a draw, a card is pulled randomly from the deck. If the discards were actually shuffled to make a new deck then the deck order would be fixed and no matter how many times you redid the draw you'd always get the same result.

As a gamer, I'll just say this cheating makes no sense. You don't get anything for winning but you do drive people away from the game. That hurts the game, the company, and the hobby. Is it really worth the hollow ego boost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Losing streaks can sometimes feel like your opponents must be cheating or the servers are hacked etc. Unfortunately you can't know for sure that your opponent/s used the suggested exploit or even know of it's existence (assuming it does exist). You may have just been bitten by the probability monster.

Client side exploits in gaming are a thing though. I remember when Counter Strike went to client side hit allocation, so many cheats came about. You could bind a key to invoke fake lag, line up a head shot then "un-lag" Boom!!

Totally agree about your comments about cheating tho, lame wankers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though there is a cheat/flaw - still doesn't meat that your losses are from cheating. Random sometimes works that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed I've had a huge losing streak lately. In the last two weeks, I went from a level 8 back to a level 5. My win/loss is now something like 6/44.

I know there's luck in randomness, but that's a little much for me that had a pretty close 50/50 out of 230 games to suddenly seeing that large and extended string of losses.

Not saying there's a hack or an exploit, but I can't say I'm not the only one noticing my ass being handed to me on a regular basis lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bosch
msg tools
kc2dpt wrote:

As a gamer, I'll just say this cheating makes no sense. You don't get anything for winning but you do drive people away from the game. That hurts the game, the company, and the hobby. Is it really worth the hollow ego boost?

Amen. This practice is pathetic and those doing it should be ashamed of their behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
Even though there is a cheat/flaw - still doesn't meat that your losses are from cheating. Random sometimes works that way.

I've been an active player since the beginning, in the beta. I've always been a decent player. Even came in fourth in the last GenCon tourney. In the past 3 days I've lost something like 27 out of 30 games. But my suggestion of a cheat isn't just from my win/loss ratio. It's from losing by huge margins game after game, dumbfounded at how my opponent gets up to speed so quickly, how they draw their best card in the first hand after a reshuffle every time, how they always seem to have just what they need right when they need it. Losing is one thing; this has been something else.

The last game I played today, by turn 9 I was down to 17 authority. The guy had 4 2-cost yellows, a single green, a single red scrapper, and 9 out of 10 starting cards. I won 'cause he timed out.

I understand probability, I understand streaks, I even understand confirmation bias. I also understand I'm staying off online matches until I see a bug fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Newburg
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
'Someone hacked' my physical deck a few weeks ago. Its funny, as i whined about it, it got worse. I stopped whining and the problem went away. Just sayin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smakx wrote:
I don't know if this qualifies as a hack, but more of a fundamental flaw in how the current app handles the game state in multiplayer games. Too much of the game state data is handled client side instead of on the server. It is possible to log in on a second device, or delete local game temp files and basically replay a draw until you get what you want.

This flaw was better detailed in a post on r/starrealms that seems to have since disappeared. We can only hope that this situation is remedied soon so that we can again play fair multiplayer games and so that online tourneys are possible. I have faith that this issue will be resolved before cheaters ruin the experience, but in the mean time I'm not playing a lot of multiplayer with people I don't know.

Interesting, and unfortunate if correct. Can this be avoided by playing 3 minute games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lemons
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
realmchat.forumotion.com
badge
realmchat.forumotion.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of my post was to let people know that it is possible, per a post I saw on Reddit and verified with a friend in a test game. I didn't go into detail as to how it's done for obvious reasons.

I am certain the devs are aware of it and it shouldn't be too difficult to remedy. The app is relatively new, these things happen and I doubt many people are employing a tactic that drains all the fun out for both parties.

It's a great game with awesome devs. I can't wait for the expansions.

It's not over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that it can be done, means they should fix it to keep the game believable. I play with a core group of people online (dozen or so regulars) and I'm not worried about our ratios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Charles
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not saying this isn't happening, as I'm sure it is. What I've noticed is that this game is incredibly streaky. I currently have won 9 of my last 10, but prior to that lost 6 straight. It's the nature of the game. People get on a hot streak and then cold streak and when you are on a cold streak it probably seems like the world is crashing in on you. I'd suggest if you are playing against the same person and this is happen that you stop playing that person. Problem solved because I guarantee the community as a whole are not practicing this, it's just a couple bad apples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DE3rules wrote:
I'd suggest if you are playing against the same person and this is happen that you stop playing that person. Problem solved because I guarantee the community as a whole are not practicing this, it's just a couple bad apples.

Sorry to say this isn't what I'm seeing. I used to see the same few opponents regularly but apparently we've had a massive influx of new players recently because in the past week I haven't played the same random opponent twice.

I will say this: I think possibly the cheating is much more prevalent on the 3-minute games than it is on the 48 hour games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It isn't just 48-hour and 3-minute games, either. Lately, I've seen this obvious cheating expanded to the AI games and campaign, as well. What other explanation could there be for my combos not going off and all my games losing?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cookie Cruncher wrote:
kc2dpt wrote:

Amen. This practice is pathetic and those doing it should be ashamed of their behavior.

Eh. If someone needs a "victory" that bad, they can have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCutter wrote:
'Someone hacked' my physical deck a few weeks ago. Its funny, as i whined about it, it got worse. I stopped whining and the problem went away. Just sayin.

lets throw some alcohol, lemon, and salt on the wound, just to see what happens.

just to make you feel better: ive never won a single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Move along nothing to see here. This is not the text you were looking for,
badge
I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
mbmbmbmbmb
DE3rules wrote:
Not saying this isn't happening, as I'm sure it is. What I've noticed is that this game is incredibly streaky. I currently have won 9 of my last 10, but prior to that lost 6 straight.

This has been my experience as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DE3rules wrote:
Not saying this isn't happening, as I'm sure it is. What I've noticed is that this game is incredibly streaky. I currently have won 9 of my last 10...

Found a cheater!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.