Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sommer
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has only been to one relatively small convention, I'm curious as to what games get played year after year at major gaming conventions. Are there any non-"event" style strategy games that are still played after their newness has worn off? Are conventions primarily for playing new games and games that require too much time and/or players for in-home gaming sessions?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was in the GenCon game room for 3 nights. I saw all kinds of games spanning many genres, years, and popularity. Tons of Catan, Waterdeep, Dominion, and others. Basically if it is older than a year old and still recommended here...it was there.

Strangely this site knows what it is talking about, even if we get a bit excited about new releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sommer
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
savagec wrote:
Strangely this site knows what it is talking about, even if we get a bit excited about new releases.

That's actually very comforting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game that people can open up a box and start playing in short order will have legs at a convention. Gateways work really well here. Add in some classics that always get played and you are then left with some newer games, but those are aided by someone knowing how to teach it. I did a recent Con report where I talked about if the game was Con friendly or not.

Post DaveCon '14 Report( and a year later update)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmb
At Euro-centric conventions here in east coast Australia, the perennial favourites are ironically:

Loopin' Louie
Crokinole
Time's Up
Werewolf

There's also one lady who organises a game of '40 Days Around the World' (all 4 games in the '10 Days in ...' series) whenever the con is big enough & there are always many looking to join in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.