Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: I hope I made the right decision... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I started cycling through my Amazon wishlist when all of a sudden I see Bloodbowl listed at half off for only $14 with Amazon Prime. There was one copy left so I immediately bought it. Unfortunately, even though I had it on my wishlist, I know almost nothing about the game as I have yet to do any meaningful research. I'm very excited about the deal, but now I have to read and watch some reviews/ comments to find out if I'll even like the game. Nothing like a spur of the moment, blind purchase after being in the right place at the right time.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hard to see how you could have made a huge mistake at $14.

It is a fun game if you get into the spirit of it. Don't take it too seriously and smile when the dice hate you.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

A friend and I frequently play it 2-player while meeting at a local fast food place. It's one of my favorite card games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A very good game that is woefully underappreciated.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game that's under far too many radars. $14 is a great price. I hope you enjoy it all the more.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great deal. Excellent game. Can sometimes be hard to get new players into the theme but it really is a good game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very solid game that has done a very good job of balancing a variety of distinct teams. Definitely one of my top favorite games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting but prone to far too much randomness for my tastes. In one game I rolled 4 X's and fell so far behind it was impossible to catch up. Hoping to get lucky on your card draw AND dice?
I'll "pass".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
This is, hands down, the most popular game for my game group. And every new player we introduce it to enjoys it.
I've never played it 2 player so couldn't comment on that.
The main thing we always explain to new players is that it looks a lot more complicated than it is. I remember being quite intimidated when I saw all the different tokens and symbols and card text. But it's actually pretty simple and quick to learn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the feedback, I feel confident we're going to really like this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
Avatar
mb
You made the right decision, especially at $14. This is a fun game. You will experience sometimes large swings of luck, but there are still meaningful decisions to be made. You and your group will get a lot of laughs at the expense of your player roster.

I've had no problem getting people into this game who've never heard of Blood Bowl before.

Hopefully you'll report back and tell us what you think after a few plays.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with the majority. At $14, you made the right choice.

I didn't like it much at first but all my friends did. I like it now. It can be frustrating at times as it's a little crunchier than it needs to be. So unless you hate it, give it at least a couple of tries.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
My group ONLY plays BBTM now, so you will be disappointed. Disappointed that all your other games stay on your shelves collecting dust.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenix Feugo
msg tools
You made the right decision and hope you have a heck of a time playing it! Me and my bro bought it pretty cheap too and have always kept on playing it. The game works well for any number of players. Especially 3 players you'll see the fighting ensue as people start blocking others off at the matchups.

It varies from the original Bloodbowl quite significantly (e.g no touchdowns, blood etc.) So the key to win is to get fans but it depends alot on your strategy now. SHould you get star players, upgrades early on or rush for fans? That's the beauty that hooks me.

Have fun, you won't regret it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Phipps
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mb
You did! This is a great game, it would be worth considering the official slight errata to staff upgrade deck which gives you the option of removing 7of the staff upgrades as they are huge multipliers if drawn early. My group never plays with them since the errata. Further details and FAQ on the fantasy flight blood bowl support page.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Borris_the_gamer wrote:
You did! This is a great game, it would be worth considering the official slight errata to staff upgrade deck which gives you the option of removing 7of the staff upgrades as they are huge multipliers if drawn early. My group never plays with them since the errata. Further details and FAQ on the fantasy flight blood bowl support page.


The copy of the game I have actually tells you to remove these cards before playing for the first time and then has a 'variant' where you add them back in. Some clever boy or girl has a talent for spin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Phipps
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mb
Krawhitham wrote:
Borris_the_gamer wrote:
You did! This is a great game, it would be worth considering the official slight errata to staff upgrade deck which gives you the option of removing 7of the staff upgrades as they are huge multipliers if drawn early. My group never plays with them since the errata. Further details and FAQ on the fantasy flight blood bowl support page.


The copy of the game I have actually tells you to remove these cards before playing for the first time and then has a 'variant' where you add them back in. Some clever boy or girl has a talent for spin


Ah, that is the exact wording of the errata, so I assume that there must be different print runs where they corrected the set-up wording. I know, someone in fantasy flight missed out of a career in politics!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Borris_the_gamer wrote:
Krawhitham wrote:
Borris_the_gamer wrote:
You did! This is a great game, it would be worth considering the official slight errata to staff upgrade deck which gives you the option of removing 7of the staff upgrades as they are huge multipliers if drawn early. My group never plays with them since the errata. Further details and FAQ on the fantasy flight blood bowl support page.


The copy of the game I have actually tells you to remove these cards before playing for the first time and then has a 'variant' where you add them back in. Some clever boy or girl has a talent for spin


Ah, that is the exact wording of the errata, so I assume that there must be different print runs where they corrected the set-up wording. I know, someone in fantasy flight missed out of a career in politics!


Q: Did you have sexual relations with that woman?

A: That will be covered in the FAQ.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
*Update*

Gave the game to my son for Christmas....played a few games....Awesome! He's already listing it as one of his favorite games. And we haven't even played it with more than 2 yet. I'm sure it will really shine with 3 or 4. It's just a really fun game. So yep, you guys were correct, I made the right decision.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.