Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the best Exhibit items in game? What the main reason to spend turn for Exhibit encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say what the best exhibit items are, as I have not studied the deck (but Mask of Vice and the Elder Sign Fragments are very nice...)

The only reason we take an Exhibit Encounter is that we happen to end in that street area, anyway. It's not something we seek out.*

That said, it's a nice little extra to have a chance at obtaining something useful, instead of just a no-encounter encounter phase.

* -edit- I just remembered that the Cursed Relics rumor mythos card can be passed using an exhibit item, and we have purposely sought an exhibit encounter to help with that. This was only the case in one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group there are number of players for whom AH is about the game, not about the victory. As a result, I have a couple of players who will have Exhibit Encounters "because that's the point!". It's hard to argue with that - unless the Herald is in use (and what a dumb Herald, to negate all the rest of the theme of the expansion). Having said that, I have no idea which the best Items are - 'cos I'm not the one who relentlessly pursues them... I'm trying to win the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me (1st edition of the DP expansion) its primarly the elder sign fragments (as they are more likely to find than true elder signs).
For the second edition alone exhibit items are probably not worth it so its more like a 'if I don't have any better options'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
In other words the main aspect of the expansion is not worth it, to spend turns for it. Only if you have not better choose. And if you using the Dark Pharaoh Herald its totally useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimond wrote:
In other words the main aspect of the expansion is not worth it, to spend turns for it. Only if you have not better choose. And if you using the Dark Pharaoh Herald its totally useless.

I wouldn't say that at all.

The Herald isn't the "main aspect" of the expansion... it's a variant we never use.

The Exhibit items are kind of neat, though a minor part of the game

On the other hand, the new mythos, encounter and small investigator cards are well worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Daimond wrote:

I wouldn't say that at all.

The Herald isn't the "main aspect" of the expansion... it's a variant we never use.

The Exhibit items are kind of neat, though a minor part of the game

On the other hand, the new mythos, encounter and small investigator cards are well worth getting.
i mean that Exhibit items the main aspect of the expansion, at least thematical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The revised edition contains 148 cards, only 22 of which are Exhibit Items. There's a lot of play in this expansion without even using the Exhibit Items.

And we do use them; even with us only using the Ancient Whispers marker for an encounter once in awhile, someone gets an Exhibit Item in more than half of our games, and they are interesting, and sometimes very helpful. Just not good enough to go out of your way for (since some are only helpful in special circumstances).

I see what you're saying, but in practice, most of the theme of the expansion is in the mythos, ally, spell and (especially) encounter cards. The Exhibit deck is just a cute add on, for the most part. (Some encounter and Mythos cards will interact with it, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla has it. This is why I prefer to play single expansion at a time - because the theme comes from the Mythos and Encounter decks in the main, and the more you add to these decks, the more diluted that theme becomes. Of course I use Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion which helps a little, but I like to have the theme for the expansion come through strongly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games, usually someone is at some point designated as "vermin patrol": picking monsters off the board to keep the terror level down and be able to trade trophies (for blessing others, mostly).
This player then tries to go fight a monster that's in the street along with the marker, whenever possible.

That way, the turn is anything but wasted: he can shoot one or maybe even two monsters, and get an Exhibit encounter/item in the process.

There's also a few location cards that let you draw Exhibit items, by the way (though by far not as many as I would like in an expansion such as this).

But it's true, this expansion is one of the more "passive" ones: the special stuff doesn't happen much unless you purposefully trigger it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.