Subject: Couple questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Gibbs
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be running WQ at a local con. After playing again last night I had a couple ideas for it and am looking for some feedback.

My plan is to run the Free the Prisoners scenario as the first one so everyone can get a feel for the game. I ran it last night with some friends and we died horribly. So I was trying to figure out ways to give the characters a bit of longevity.

1 - each character receives a d6 potion of healing
2 - the elf gets death blow with the bow. This would only be possible if the enemy are lined up one behind the other. The idea with a great shot it goes through the first minon and could hit the next.

Thanks for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the party almost always survives if the Wizard starts with Healing Hands. It's like the single most important factor in determining if your party goes on to great things or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gibbs
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that the 2 cost healing spell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind you can all die on the road to or from the dungeon too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it costs 2, yes.
The main strategy for surviving the first dungeon (which is all you need to really do to have a good shot at not getting wiped later) involves the Wizard having Healing Hands, and saving reserve Power for turns you roll a 1 and need the extra Power to Heal. Never heal with stored because people are hurt (or to attack or anything else), only use stored power when people are down. Never use the Elf's potion on anyone except the Wizard for the time you'll likely accidentally mismanage the Wizard's position and leave him too exposed.

If you follow those basic ideas, you are pretty much golden, save for really bad monster draws (back to back mino's if using the cards or roll next level up if using the chart) and lots of 1s in the Power Phase. Nothing you can really do to reduce the swing of the 1s unless you want to do something like give the Wizard a D8-2 in the Power Phase instead of his D6 (which is a pretty poor trade most of the time, but a fun variant to run with sometimes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Keep in mind you can all die on the road to or from the dungeon too.

Not sure anything can kill you on the road in the base game. The worst thing that can happen on the road is you end up starting a new adventure right away, I think (or later in a campaign, losing key treasure).

I think the only insta-death conditions that I remember are from a couple of status effects (Chill or something like that), from town (Duel event), or from staying too long in a Settlement (2 weeks I think?, then on a double 1 I think your hero retires? Can't recall specifics, but I know you don't want to hang out in town too long unless you have some Luck or Lucky Charms (16 on a travel roll for the win)).

That's another game breaker once you figure it out - always use Luck or Lucky Charms to ensure the Lucky Charm you just purchased from travel event 16 is a good Lucky Charm (and always have everyone buy one each time you encounter it). Once you have a dozen or so rerolls you are pretty unbeatable and can use it for frivolous things, like ensuring you clear an objective room in one turn.

EDIT: I might be mis-remembering, there might be a Chasm event that can kill you, but like the Duel, I think you can decline to cross it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
no. The base game doesnt have that sort of lethality luckily. aheh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gibbs
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Thanks.

As for the Death blow with a bow. How does that sound?

Below the elf (E) would have a chance to shoot 3 goblins (G) with one arrow with deathblow and some good rolls.

E
XX
XX
XX
GG
GG
G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grafix wrote:
Sounds good. Thanks.

As for the Death blow with a bow. How does that sound?

Below the elf (E) would have a chance to shoot 3 goblins (G) with one arrow with deathblow and some good rolls.

E
XX
XX
XX
GG
GG
G

IIRC, I think that's actually a skill for the Elf. So you would essentially be starting the Elf with a skill, which is fine, but you might just consider picking a skill for each hero and giving them one if your intent is just to make it all around easier.
If you do this, I would strongly consider removing a skill from their first level that provides it. After level 3 or 4 they are pretty much beasts anyway, so the extra skill early just needs to be a bridge to get to later content, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gibbs
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking it might be too powerful later on.

Thanks all for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grafix wrote:
I was thinking it might be too powerful later on.

Thanks all for the input.

Why not just restart if the warriors die? Part of of the fun is "surviving against the odds." It's just part of the game.

You could also:

- Max Starting Wounds
- instead of healing potions, let the Warriors start in a Village with some gold to spend purchasing bandages and provisions
- give everyone 1 (temporary) Luck Point

I think the Bow Deathblow is a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gibbs
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant to follow up on this months ago. soblue

I had the mage start with the Healing Hands spell which was enough to keep the players alive for the first game and move onto a second.

Both games were very fun and fraught with lots of danger. The party was almost wiped out by a swarm of rats. The Wizard player was praying to every god he could think of to not roll a one. Alas, it was to no avail at one point so we figured he had offended one somewhere.

It was a blast to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.