Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went over both manuals available (I actually used Google translate and a lot of creative guessing to translate most of the Polish one to German) and a lot of differences.

Since it seems quite a few people bought the game at Essen, I thought I'd start a list of all differences in a timely manner so as many people as possible get some use out of it.
Please comment if I missed anything or got anything wrong.

Contents (tokens, cards) of the game and their use:
Ukrainian Edition (English manual available on BGG):
2 Player tokens per player, double-sided cardboard (backs are blank/indistinguishable):
- 1 to put on the hidden card combinations prepared by the Spirit to indicate which player is associated with which face-down combination of object, place, person cards.
- The 2nd to later indicate the true culprit (see below "determining the final culprit")

Polish Portal edition (Tajemnicze Domostwo, Polish manual only):
2 wooden player discs in player color for each player:
- 1 to indicate their guesses on the laid out face-up objects, places, persons,
- the 2nd to put on the hidden card combinations prepared by the Spirit to indicate which player is associated with which face-down combination of object, place, person.
---
Ukrainian:
1 crystal ball in player colors for each player to indicate their guesses on the laid out face-up objects, places, persons

Polish:
players use one of their 2 wooden discs instead (see above)
---
Ukrainian:
There is a promo set of cards with a new character (the tramp), a new location and a new item as well, I think. It's not included in the base game.

Polish:
The Polish edition already contains the cards from the promo (Tajemnicze Domostwo: Lost letter Promo Set), so it has 19 characters and locations instead of the 18 found in the Ukrainian edition. There are also 2 more item cards in the Polish edition, bringing the count up to 20.

=============

Tracking Player Progress:
Ukrainian:
Player progress is visible through the cards from the player combinations face-up in front of the spirit. Example: Player Blue has already guessed the character and the location, so the spirit item and location cards associated with his color (token) are flipped face-up in front of the Spirit. His item card remains face-down. Player Red has only guessed the character, so only the character card from his card set is flipped face-up.

Polish:
1 Cardboard investigator board in player colors (each with a different investigator character per player
AND
1 Clock token (cardboard) in player colors for each player to display player's progress (deducing object, location, person) on these investigator boards
==========
Notable differences in number of cards laid out for the different numbers of players and difficulty levels:
Ukrainian:
At 7 players, the progression from easy to very difficult is straightforward: 9 on easy, 10 on normal, 11 on difficult, and 12 on very difficult.

Polish:
At 7 players, the normal difficulty has just as many cards out as in easy mode: 9. What's more, there is "diffcult" mode for 6 and 7 players - there is no number in that field of the table. However, on very difficult, there's a number: 11 for 6 players and 12 for 7 players (having some experience with that player count, I think that looks pretty much impossible to solve!).

----------
Number of Dream cards held by the Spirit:
Ukrainian:
7 cards

Polish:
6 cards
----------
Guessing and deduction starts with:
Ukrainian:
First Person, then Location, then Object.

Polish:
First Object, then Location, then Person
============
What happens to the face-down cards associated with each of the investigators:
Ukrainian:
After an item, location, or character are correctly guessed, the corresponding face-down card in front of the spirit is turned face-up. When every investigator has guessed their combination, there is a face-up combination made up of 3 cards for each player.

Polish:
Any guessed cards (investigator and spirit versions) are put back into the box, except the correctly guessed character cards, which remain in the center of the table for the final culprit phase.
---------
The way the Spirit determines the final culprit (before actual investigation/dream phase):
Ukrainian:
Pick one of the characters available based on which combination of the available combinations of character, location, and item is the best fit for the Dream cards currently in hand. Secretly take the (round) player cardboard token that corresponds to that person (is covered with that player's token), turn it over to the side that is the same for all players. Then play exactly 3 Dream cards for the investigators to interpret.

Polish:
Random pick: Pick up all the face-down person cards under the wooden player discs, shuffle, and then draw one. This will be the culprit. To make up for the fact that your current hand of Dream cards may be a bad fit for this person, the Spirit is allowed to not only give the players Dreams cards as hints as usual, but also to show them the leftover Dream cards from their hand that they DID NOT pick as hints.
---------
Deducing the final culprit:
Ukrainian:
The investigators (or psychics) receive ONE shared dream made up of exactly 3 cards. If they can agree on the correct character (or rather combination of char., item, location, because all of these remain on the table face-up to help (or maybe hinder?) in the deduction), they win the game - as long as the 7th day isn't over yet. If they guess incorrectly, the card combination belonging to the incorrect guess are removed from the game. They try again the next day (if it's not already Sunday), but there is NO further common dream and they DO NOT receive any more dream cards - instead they discuss among themselves until they agree and once again pick another combo. The choice has been constrained because their last incorrect guess has been removed. Repeat until the week is over or they win.

Polish:
Investigators receive a shared dream consisting of as many cards as the Spirit wishes (up to 6 of course, as that is the spirit hand size), also showing them the cards not given to them as dreams. If they guess correctly, they win the game, if they don't, after redrawing up to 6, the Spirit sends them another common dream, adding new cards to the ones they've already given them for that character. (Remember: only the character cards for the investigators remain in the center of the table, while in the Ukrainian version, these are completely removed. The Spirit player has only ONE character card remaining face-down in front of them, depicting the true culprit, while in the Ukrainian version, the Spirit has removed all cards from the table except the face-up combinations for each player, flipped over one after one when they were correctly guessed. There, the true culprit is only indicated by the face-down player token the Spirit picked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Tina. That is certainly helpful.

I was confused by the fact that the English rules from BGG differed in many respects from the Polish version of the game I bought at Essen.

In your post, by substituting "Ukranian" with "BGG English Rules" the changes you identified were the same ones I came across in my examination of the Polish version of the game and the English rules.

I appreciate your efforts to put it into writing here. It would be interesting to know why there are differences and which ruleset it would be best to use or is seen as the latest.

Currently, I am planning to use the English ruleset and adapt the Polish components accordingly.

Thanks again

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monsieur Tremblay
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wow!

Thanks a lot for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are right about the number of cards in both editions. I own the Ukrainian/ Russian edition + promo cards and I can confirm that these Promo cards are already included in the Polish edition. BTW, the Polish edition has 20 subjects (1 subject is still "missing" in the Ukrainian/ Russian edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There also appears to be some differences in the number of cards on display in Normal and Difficult modes for 6- and 7-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
There also appears to be some differences in the number of cards on display in Normal and Difficult modes for 6- and 7-player games.

Yes, you are right, I just added that info as well as a few more points I just became aware of for the final detection of the culprit phase: In Polish, there is only the character to guess, and investigators may receive several more shared dreams if their guess is wrong, while in Ukrainian, there is a complete combination of character, item, and location the Spirit can tailor their dream cards to, plus the investigators only receive one shared dream and then no further dream cards. Instead, for every wrong guess, this incorrect combination is removed, and the investigators guess again, until time runs out or they guess correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Does either set explicitly say what a player should do once she has guessed all three of her cards and others have not?

Any reason for them not to help the ghost to speed things up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Does either set explicitly say what a player should do once she has guessed all three of her cards and others have not?

Any reason for them not to help the ghost to speed things up?

Yes, both the Polish and the Ukrainian (English on BGG) rules address this: If any player has correctly guessed all three of their cards, they may now help other players who aren't finished with their combination. After everyone has guessed theirs, the game moves on to the common dream.

(Or citing from the Ukrainian/English rules: "The Psychic, who guessed all three cards of his/her combination (item/location/character), has completed
his/her task in the events reconstruction step of the game. So, the player helps the other players interpret their dreams till the exposing the true culprit phase.")

However, players may already help each other before, as they are encouraged to discuss their own and others' cards amongst themselves.

In fact, in the expansion board (Spirit Board) there are a few Ouija-like hint phrases the Spirit may place players' pieces on to help them; one of them is something like "Don't listen to them!" - if one player has the right idea and others are suggesting things that are going in the wrong direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wraxall
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is better though?whistle

I ask as it's language independent it seems, so if I track down a copy, which is better overall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Check the other threads for a list of differences. They aren't major. No extra pieces, no different pieces.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize some tokens were different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
Check the other threads for a list of differences. They aren't major. No extra pieces, no different pieces.

Or better yet, scroll up right here and read the differences in the first post of this thread. And the pieces DO differ, unfortunately - I would love to have those spiffy crystal balls from the Ukrainian edition that the players use to indicate their guesses - the Polish version has only plain painted wooden discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you either get the Ukranian edition with the cool plastic crystal balls, but missing promo cards and 1 card worth of content

Or

the Polish Edition with more cards/content but no crystal balls ..

I guess I would rather have the Polish edition with more content if that is the choice ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ukranian version bundles the promo cards with your order.

See: Anyone know where/how to get a copy? and http://igames.ua/en/mysterium.html

Edit: It seems to be direct from the designers; they offered to sign my copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
I have a quick query, which I suspect is treated the same way in the Polish and Ukranian editions.

Say on Day 1, three players solve their first characteristic and one person doesn't.

So what happens on Day 2?:
- Are the three players clued on their second charactistic and the one player is clued again on his first?
- Or is it just the one player who is clued on Day 2, (the other three being unable to progress until he catches up)?

I think it's the first scenario, but not sure.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
I have a quick query, which I suspect is treated the same way in the Polish and Ukranian editions.

Say on Day 1, three players solve their first characteristic and one person doesn't.

So what happens on Day 2?:
- Are the three players clued on their second charactistic and the one player is clued again on his first?
[...]

I think it's the first scenario, but not sure.

Yup - that's what the character boards and clock tokens are used for - they track what each player needs clues for this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie V
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you for this run down. We went through the choppy English copy of the rules pre-con to teach in hot games and had a completely different understanding of how the end game worked. Our understanding was the first part was eliminating suspects, locations, and things and the final part was determining from the leftover cards using the idea from the Ukrainian rules....the ghost creates and picks a set based on his/her set of dream cards.
I thought someone even asked Ignacy and he confirmed that was the way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
katylou wrote:
Thank you for this run down. We went through the choppy English copy of the rules pre-con to teach in hot games and had a completely different understanding of how the end game worked. Our understanding was the first part was eliminating suspects, locations, and things and the final part was determining from the leftover cards using the idea from the Ukrainian rules....the ghost creates and picks a set based on his/her set of dream cards.

Hmm, that's an interesting variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
katylou wrote:
Thank you for this run down. We went through the choppy English copy of the rules pre-con to teach in hot games and had a completely different understanding of how the end game worked. Our understanding was the first part was eliminating suspects, locations, and things and the final pat was determining from the leftover cards using the idea from the Ukrainian rules....the ghost creates and picks a set based on his/her set of dream cards.

Well, that's actually was what I was describing in my above list as the "Ukrainian way" to play this part "(Deducing the final culprit)": after eliminating combinations in the first part, the ghost picks one of the leftover combinations based on the dream cards in their hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie V
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Okay, I didn't catch that. So we were playing it correctly according to some rule book, :-P thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
schlawiner wrote:
eunoia wrote:
katylou wrote:
Thank you for this run down. We went through the choppy English copy of the rules pre-con to teach in hot games and had a completely different understanding of how the end game worked. Our understanding was the first part was eliminating suspects, locations, and things and the final pat was determining from the leftover cards using the idea from the Ukrainian rules....the ghost creates and picks a set based on his/her set of dream cards.

Well, that's actually was what I was describing in my above list as the "Ukrainian way" to play this part "(Deducing the final culprit)": after eliminating combinations in the first part, the ghost picks one of the leftover combinations based on the dream cards in their hand.

I guess there's some mis-understanding for what's the "left over" cards.

How many sets (Char, Loc, Item) will be left in the final phase if it's 7 players in very difficult mode? 5 or 7?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, 6? One for each non-ghost player - difficulty doesn't matter here (only in the earlier phases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of the Italian edition.

Two cardboard single-sided tokens per player color, plus the crystal balls. The character boards. And I ordered with it the expansion pack which included 1 character, 1 location and 2 weapons.

So I think that's all the important stuff from both other editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
OK, now I'm really confused. My copy from Portal (Polish) just arrived. Although I cannot read Polish, it appears from the example pictures, close inspection of the text, and a couple of trips to Google Translate that the rulebook now corresponds more closely to the Ukranian rules (and so to the full color rulebook translation in the Files section). In particular, I can see that the spirit hand is seven cards, not six, and that in the Disclosure of the Perpetrator, he gives three dreams intended to convey person/location/item to the psychics, just as in the Ukranian rules. It seems, however, that in the event of a wrong guess, the spirit can draw back to seven and supply three new dreams, unlike the Ukranian rules. Also (although this is probably immaterial), the Polish rules and components still show that the cards are solved in item/location/person order, judging by the example illustration.

So I suppose this must be a newer Polish edition, and that a new translation will be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool to see this updated with the US release changes.

Just sayin (or has somebody done something like this elsewhere?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.