Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Situation:
December, 1939.
Axis drew a 'political failure' event so Italy turned 'Pro-West' in October.
Germany finished conquering Poland in October (after putting Poland in the Western Faction by declaring war on the West), but felt immediate pressure to conquer another country so that it could remove the 'Pro-West' counter on Rome.
So on to Denmark they marched, despite the poor December weather.
Denmark's lone garrison army retreated back to Aalborg and was eliminated. The Germans captured Aalborg and Denmark fell due to having a National Will of only 2. However, Copenhagen has not been 'mopped up' by the Germans yet, and their operations phase is over.

Is it legal for England to do a naval transport with the BEF and send them to Copenhagen since the city is not under Axis control, and when Denmark activated it was placed in the Western Faction? (yeah, there'd probably be a sub/surface action intercept attempt, but the German air units are all off the coast.)

Aside from the legality, i'm thinking this would be a likely way to lose the BEF for a couple of months since they would be isolated and most likely end up as Panzer bait, but still, I'm thinking of possibilities here.

I really like this game and I feel like I'm getting most of the rules down but I have that 'blank canvas' feeling of 'what should i do next?'

The West doesn't seem to be able to do anything until Germany decides to have a go at France and the Low Countries. They can't attack the German line on the Western border because they have to stay in the Maginot fortress, and Belgium and The Netherlands are still neutral in my game. Is the West mostly restricted to the Diplomacy Cup draw until things take shape?

(I realize this whole puzzle is just getting rolling, i'm just going through some possibilities in the first year.)

Also in my game, Russia already gained the ceded Karelia territory and has managed to enlist Turkey as an ally.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely sail the BEF in to protect Copenhagen. Whether it's a good idea or not is a different story. I've sometimes reinforced Norway when Germany invades, but Denmark is within marching distance of German ground troops, and airstrike range of German air.

If you do decide to do this, I'd recommend that if possible, you use strategic movement at the start of the next turn to get the BEF out of Copenhagen and next to the straits to better block the German advance. Plus, they'd be able to perform a Naval Evacuation back to Copenhagen if necessary. Germany can stop this with its own strategic movement though, so it may not work.

As for other things the West can do, you're basically correct - they just need to prepare for the attack into France if no sideshows like Denmark make themselves available.

As for the Soviet Turkey, that's quite a prize! They can't move into Russia to defend against Barbarossa, but they can stop the Axis from running amok in the Middle East if they get past the UK in Egypt. Plus Rhodes is nice to take away from Italy, and this gives the Soviets a route into the Balkans. Just keep in mind that the rail line does not cross the Turkish strait, so you'd need to use the Russian convoy in order to keep any Russian units that go down there in full supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dig In wrote:
Also in my game, Russia already gained the ceded Karelia territory and has managed to enlist Turkey as an ally.

Thanks!

Did Russia get two Political Success pulls?

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
mark dey wrote:

If you do decide to do this, I'd recommend that if possible, you use strategic movement at the start of the next turn to get the BEF out of Copenhagen and next to the straits to better block the German advance. Plus, they'd be able to perform a Naval Evacuation back to Copenhagen if necessary. Germany can stop this with its own strategic movement though, so it may not work.

Good stuff Mark. I never even considered 'tactical' strategic movement (i.e. moving the BEF before the operations phase over to the hex adjacent to Copenhagen and thus defending the straits which is what I think you're suggesting). And of course the Naval Evacuation wasn't in my head either since it wasn't the coast of France.

When you say "Germany can stop this with its own strategic movement" do you mean that Germany, moving first in the Strategic Movement phase, could step forward over the straits, giving up its Operations phase to deny the straits to Brits abroad?

I have to admit, entertaining the thought of the Brits heroically repelling the Germans through the foul winter of 1939 across the straits of Copenhagen strikes to the core of why I push cardboard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, Russia has been stacking the cup or something...
I believe it was two Political Success pulls and the Western Faction pulled the "Area Ceded" chit.

'Course it's only me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you say "Germany can stop this with its own strategic movement" do you mean that Germany, moving first in the Strategic Movement phase, could step forward over the straits, giving up its Operations phase to deny the straits to Brits abroad?

Almost. You can't strat move into an EZOC, and Germany gets to go first, so they wouldn't be able to cross the second strait, but they could put a ZOC there to prevent the BEF from strat moving over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
Denmark. Its always Denmark.

I have come to just seal it off like Sevastopol. There is no good strategy when I'm German against that... problem.

I think Sal printed an invisible fort for them on my map.
Its not paranoia if its true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Danes are plucky.

In my game the BEF sailed over to Copenhagen, defended to a standstill 1 Pz in poor weather for one turn. After that i figured out that it was a matter of when not if for the Brits so I sailed them back to Calais, but i'm pretty sure they blew some taunts at the conquering forces on the way out.

And Russia has not only an allied Turkey but a friendly Greece. So this whole thing might just transition into a game of Twilight Struggle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.