Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the worst combo possible now is koss/dispersion field.

Allowing the use of both of these on the same ship is ludicrous.

These 2 cards both of which are 2 points totally negate any upgrade ganking strategy possible so combining them with other powerful combos (Weyoun/Varel springs to mind) can lead to almost unassailable dreadnought builds.

This combination rivals Tactical Stations in it's potential for abuse and desperately needs some sort of errata/faq ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Not sure I think that's the worst on its own...

Not being able to mess with your opponent's cards is annoying, but unless you are the Borg, it's usually a side-strategy.

Not being able to attack an opponent at all (Weyoun / Varel) has much bigger implications for a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. You know why all those Borg players (plus a few others) run Weyoun/Varel?

Things like Barrage of Fire and Flagship + Mr. Spock.

It's just like when everyone was freaking out about cloaked mines.

And before that, cloak.

I'm sure in the next few waves, we'll get a new combo that will put Weyoun/Varel out of favor. Or OP scenarios where other factors (liking doing lots of damage) will be more important that surviving infinitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not actually convinced Koss/Dispersion field is that bad when just Dispersion Field on its own is almost as large a problem. When there's only all of 2 or 3 cards that can even touch it, it's pretty all but invulnerable itself.

RequiemX wrote:
I'm sure in the next few waves, we'll get a new combo that will put Weyoun/Varel out of favor. Or OP scenarios where other factors (liking doing lots of damage) will be more important that surviving infinitely.

That's what people said in wave 1 when it was released, we're now on wave 8 :-p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RequiemX wrote:

If people would start running 3 ships again, the Weyoun/Varel lists wouldn't be doing so hot. With limited actions, its offensive quality is lousy. If people are running dispersion field and/or Koss, that means they are giving up armor or something else that can help the ship survive or do more damage. 3 well flown Klingons should down it in 2 turns even with the attack cancellation.

Since they only can cancel 1 attack a turn, double borg missies or other ways of putting on multiple Aux tokens can stop the ship in its tracks. I imagine a combo of the bioship and a kazon or 2 with charges or a ferengi EM pulse could greatly hamper what the ship is trying to do.

Lets not forget that even with Dispersion field and Koss that Chang and Deanna can at least temporally shut the combo down. A combo of Deanna and PSF makes the ship quite vulnerable to 3 attackers. You burn up Varel, or you are likely dead.

If we are throwing the good RiF blinds in the mix, surviving is all that more difficult with 3 or 4 ships being able to get through.

Ultimately you can't stop everything. You can be very good against a few things or OK against a bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst combo is the lack of rulings + people who think they know everything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Horton
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
360 firing arc + borg movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
RequiemX wrote:

If people would start running 3 ships again, the Weyoun/Varel lists wouldn't be doing so hot. With limited actions, its offensive quality is lousy. If people are running dispersion field and/or Koss, that means they are giving up armor or something else that can help the ship survive or do more damage. 3 well flown Klingons should down it in 2 turns even with the attack cancellation.

Since they only can cancel 1 attack a turn, double borg missies or other ways of putting on multiple Aux tokens can stop the ship in its tracks. I imagine a combo of the bioship and a kazon or 2 with charges or a ferengi EM pulse could greatly hamper what the ship is trying to do.

Lets not forget that even with Dispersion field and Koss that Chang and Deanna can at least temporally shut the combo down. A combo of Deanna and PSF makes the ship quite vulnerable to 3 attackers. You burn up Varel, or you are likely dead.

If we are throwing the good RiF blinds in the mix, surviving is all that more difficult with 3 or 4 ships being able to get through.

Ultimately you can't stop everything. You can be very good against a few things or OK against a bunch.

All well and good, except against the build that cancels 3 attacks a turn and features koss/DF and riker/the doctor.

I wish the Ferengi EMP was available retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly you guys are overthinking it.

It's Glinn Telle and a Borg Sphere.

or

Counter Attack and a Tactical Cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Antimatter mines on the Battleship

Cochrain Deceleration maneuver on Voyager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactical Officer on the Vo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Shields on the Enterprise NX-01!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Horton
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
B'Elenna and torpedoes on the raven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Antimatter mines on the Battleship

Cochrain Deceleration maneuver on Voyager

Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver AND Skilled Helmsman on Voyager. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Queen and Suicide Attack with Science Vessel swarm. Think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
koku ryu wrote:
Admiral Queen and Suicide Attack with Science Vessel swarm. Think about it.

thought about it. Don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote for worst card combo is for Mountain Dew can and unsteady hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.