Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
After a long time I decided to purchase the core set.
Having enjoyed it very much, I soon bough some Adventure packs and the Character add-on pack.

At the moment we are three players, using a 3-heroes party. We don't plan to add more players for a 4-6 campaign.
We fancy the idea of starting a parallel campaign with a different party of 3, but we don't know if it is feasible with the card distribution.

So, can we just mix all the add-on cards (C) to the main decks and run separate campaigns?
It seems it could give an even distribution of boons given that more heroes will use the same card pool.

The risk we feel is that some unique cards could be taken by the "first served" party and never available to the other.
(for the loot it is easy to track what has been chosen and move the cards between different sessions, but for other unique boons?)

Also it seems that the right thing to do is wait until both parties have reached the same Adventure before taking to the basic cards (otherwise it will be a mess pulling in and out cards of the decks).

Do you think two parallel parties are possible, or is it wiser to end one campaign before starting another?

thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. run excel
2. note the cards for the other party
3. shuffle them back to the decks

This how we run 3 different parties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think there are too many unique or almost unique cards for that. In the adventure decks, most of the weapons and spells have 2 copies, with some having only 1. There are quite a few allies that have only 1 copy.

I'd recommend tracking their decks. Run adventure 1 with group A, write down their decks, breakdown group A, setup for group B, and run adventure 1 for group B. Run adventure 2 for group B, write down their decks, breakdown group B, setup for group A. Run adventure 2 for group A. Repeat as needed.

You are only have to "breakdown and setup" the parties once per adventure.

You can find character sheets to help with that here:
http://paizo.com/pfsacg/resources

The problem you will have is removing basic and elite cards. There is a worksheet in here to help with that:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98267/game-accessories-lay...

Or try this alternative:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2r06e?quick-and-dirty-approach-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones above have mentioned one of the issues with running multiple separate parties out of the same box. Another issue that you'll run into is when cards start getting removed.

To keep the parties from getting over/underpowered by removing a disproportionate amount of boons and banes, you'll need to keep a separate removed-from-game list for each party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks,
I was sure (as most pointed out) that tracking the different decks would be the easier solution.
We'll probably make sure both parties stay close in the Adventure deck sequence in order to remove basic/elite cards just once for both groups.

I still have a couple of uncertainties about adding all or part of the cards in the Add-on Deck.
The additional monsters/barriers seem redundant since they are meant to populate an increased number of locations in a 6-player game.
For the allies, maybe I'll just add the animal ones, since we plan to run a druid…

The big "if" are the weapons/items/armors. The Add-on deck has a lot of repeated cards but also some "good" cards not found in the core set. I fear that just adding the good ones for variety will lead to "better" weapons/items/armors decks and an easier game. I'm thinking to spread a bit the boons, adding also some basic cards (i.e. the Greatsword + 2 Longswords).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to add anything from the character add-on deck, then add the entirety of it, that includes if you plan on playing characters from it. Picking and choosing things to add isn't intended. (side note, there are some banes in the Character Add-on Deck that aren't in the base game, too; it's not just boons that have some unique ones in it.)

As far as removing cards only once together for both groups, keep this in mind:

Group A makes it to adventure 3 and removes 5 of the cards from the game in the first scenario. Then, Group B now makes it there. Group B is already at an advantage/disadvantage over Group A because Group A had to deal with those 5 removed cards and Group B doesn't.

Now, let us say Group B moves on to remove 5 cards as well. During Group A's next game, Group A will have 10 cards removed (5 more than they would have had normally) so they are now ahead of the game's intended card removal system by default as well.

Over time of playing the adventures, this will increase more and more. It's completely possible that by the time you start Adventure 4, you've already cleared twice the number of cards the game is supposed to have removed, and that's just over the course of one adventure.

Because of this difference in intended removals, the parties could be encountering higher-powered equipment and/or higher-powered banes more often sooner than intended, thus throwing off the difficulty balance. That can cause the game to become too easy/too hard in comparison, and thus change how the game feels for the players involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I have run two simultaneous parties in the past, and I managed it by sleeving all the cards and putting a slip of colored paper in the sleeve whenever we perma-banished a card. When starting a session with a new group, we'd take the lists of cards in our decks (written on our character sheets) and go through the decks of cards removing any with the colored slip that matched the current campaign. (Or when we were feeling lazy, we wouldn't remove them ahead of time but would just draw a new card whenever we encountered one with the right-colored slip.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.