Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: A scary video produced especially for the low-information voters. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
Republicans are going to cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid????? Is there a Republican party I haven't heard of?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Party politics as usual. Is "political party made a dishonest scare ad" actually worth a thread?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't need a video to tell us that republicans do republican shit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
Wow. They're trying to shore up the Depends wearing NYT/NPR demographic. It is really tough out there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Now let's talk about THIS SPECIFIC ad and the brazen hypocrisy therein.

Come on, guys, Drew has his script all prepared for THIS SPECIFIC topic. Stop talking about other things he hasn't been told what his opinion is yet.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Party politics as usual. Is "political party made a dishonest scare ad" actually worth a thread?


So tired of hearing Democrats defend the perfidy of their party with "both sides do it." But I guess that's at least an admission. So I'll take it.


I think I've been pretty consistent at criticizing our entire political class for rampant dishonesty. I'm not defending this ad, I'm just surprised that it's considered newsworthy.

Quote:
Now let's talk about the dishonesty in this SPECIFIC ad, shall we?


If you like. I haven't watched it, but I doubt I'll miss much. Most likely it wildly mischaracterizes what Republicans would actually do and also suggests or outright claims that the very tactic they used to overcome Republican filibuster is wildly unethical or extreme now that Republicans might use it.

How did I do?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you, the Russian judge of the Olympics? I describe their hypocrisy but don't use the word so I get a C?

So harsh.

Hey, can I revise my paper and get a B? That Democrats use a tactic for their own legislative ends but claim that it's unethical for Republicans to do it is hypocritical hypocrisy.

Also, Obamacare.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic "ends justify the means" approach to politics. In passing the ACA, Democrats no doubt believed they were using a slick procedural rule to gain a beneficial goal. Likewise they believe that reductions in Medicare, Social Security and even repeal of the ACA are non-beneficial ends and so they attack the same means as undemocratic.

The truth is that both parties ROUTINELY use procedural rules to block or achieve bits of legislation or amendments that aren't truly democratic. The GOP griped about such things repeatedly when Dem's were in power (like the rather nasty hearings on the Bork nomination). Neither party seems willing to alter such rules or give up the temporary advantages they convey. I was actually rather surprised when Democrats called for even a small erosion in the filibuster rule.

As to the material claims herein, how can you possibly complain. Cutting benefits in the social safety nets has LONG been a GOP talking point to shore up their base. That they never actually do anything substantive is a bit cynical and it should come as no surprise that Democrats use such rhetoric to shore up their own base.

This ad is simply business as usual. Tell us Drew, when was the last time you posted a GOP ad and called it out for being manipulative and hypocritical? You either can't see it or choose to ignore it making you just as hypocritical.

My biggest problem with this ad and most political ads is it gives you one minute of partisan memes with zero analysis. Debates are hardly any better with deflection being offered to any truly meaningful question. Too bad BOTH parties use the SAME tactics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this where we run around, wave our arms and scream "we're all going to die"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Tell us Drew, when was the last time you posted a GOP ad and called it out for being manipulative and hypocritical?


Pretty much every ad Mitt Romney ran during the Republican primaries to attack Newt (my favored candidate). I don't know if I specifically called them "manipulative" and "hypocritical" but I do know that those he ran in Florida prior to their primary were all negative attack ads. 100% of them. That's pretty amazing.


So Republican-on-Republican attack ads are heinous. The evil in hypocrisy and half-truths is determined not by the attacker but the attackee. Got it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the ad, my question would be... what is keeping the Democrats from using reconciliation? Is it that they are somehow a more noble breed of individual, once above using parliamentary procedure?

And I am sure that if I put my mind to it, I could come up with a list of Democratic goals and objectives which, if phrased just so, would sound equally heinous and untenable. So please vote Republican. Because things spun to sound evil are really evil. Or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
bobby_5150 wrote:
Is this where we run around, wave our arms and scream "we're all going to die"?


Well, we are. Guaranteed.


Speak for yourself. I'm going with the Princess Bride immortality plan.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Shit, that Robert Reich ad says nothing that Mitch McConnell hasn't already said that he was going to do anyway.

You want an unfair attack ad by Democrats, try this one by Wendy Davis against Greg Abbott for size.



Then again, I've also got freaking Dan Patrick using ISIS to whip up hysteria here in Texas.



I'll probably end up voting for Abbott- mostly because there is no way in hell that I'm voting for the Libertarian candidate Kathy Glass, she's an incompetent fruitcake- but Dan Patrick in the incredibly important Lt. Governor position scares the shit out of me.

Darilian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
As for the ad, my question would be... what is keeping the Democrats from using reconciliation? Is it that they are somehow a more noble breed of individual, once above using parliamentary procedure?

And I am sure that if I put my mind to it, I could come up with a list of Democratic goals and objectives which, if phrased just so, would sound equally heinous and untenable. So please vote Republican. Because things spun to sound evil are really evil. Or something.


Junior McSpiffy insults noble individuals who want to minimize the use of legal procedures for partisan point-taking at our countries expense. Causing women, seniors and babies to lose life-giving benefits and rights.

Junior McSpiffy wants to twist and distort others well-meaning attempts at responsible governance so that those who would stop his evil plots and machinations are removed from his country-wrecking path.

Is this the type of poster that RSP needs? Vote X on Junior McSpiffy posts before he destroys America.

P.S. He trains ISIS terrorists in his basement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:

According to some concerned constituents, TheChin is literally Satan. Why won't TheChin address this? Why won't he answer the questions that matter to RSP voters? Did TheChin murder a hooker in Tijuana in the 90's? We don't know. We have no way of knowing. Is that the kind of candidate you want to represent RSP?


These are easily explained, first of all the first misconception is the result of a harmless misspelling that my opponents have gotten between their teeth and, in their rabid need to discredit my agenda, won't let go. The original press release was supposed to state that I was "literally seitan", which, because we all know you are what you eat, is because I eat lots of seitan. These fraudulent attack ads equating me with the Prince Of Darkness, The Morning Star, the first, most beautiful and once most beloved of all Angels, the one figure in Christian Mythology willing to sacrifice all to stand up to authoritarian rule are, of course, without merit. I, on the other hand, cannot control who contributes to my campaign.

As for Tijuana, it was self-defense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
As for the ad, my question would be... what is keeping the Democrats from using reconciliation? Is it that they are somehow a more noble breed of individual, once above using parliamentary procedure?

And I am sure that if I put my mind to it, I could come up with a list of Democratic goals and objectives which, if phrased just so, would sound equally heinous and untenable. So please vote Republican. Because things spun to sound evil are really evil. Or something.


Junior McSpiffy insults noble individuals who want to minimize the use of legal procedures for partisan point-taking at our countries expense. Causing women, seniors and babies to lose life-giving benefits and rights.

Junior McSpiffy wants to twist and distort others well-meaning attempts at responsible governance so that those who would stop his evil plots and machinations are removed from his country-wrecking path.

Is this the type of poster that RSP needs? Vote X on Junior McSpiffy posts before he destroys America.

P.S. He trains ISIS terrorists in his basement.


Well, I'm convinced. I'm voting against me now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Tell us Drew, when was the last time you posted a GOP ad and called it out for being manipulative and hypocritical?


Pretty much every ad Mitt Romney ran during the Republican primaries to attack Newt (my favored candidate). I don't know if I specifically called them "manipulative" and "hypocritical" but I do know that those he ran in Florida prior to their primary were all negative attack ads. 100% of them. That's pretty amazing.


So you'd give yourself a C for your posts in those cases?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Tell us Drew, when was the last time you posted a GOP ad and called it out for being manipulative and hypocritical?


Pretty much every ad Mitt Romney ran during the Republican primaries to attack Newt (my favored candidate). I don't know if I specifically called them "manipulative" and "hypocritical" but I do know that those he ran in Florida prior to their primary were all negative attack ads. 100% of them. That's pretty amazing.


Not amazing. Just disgusting. However, the folks that run campaigns for a living have clearly come to the opinion that attack ads are effective. This may not be for attracting swing voters but for mobilizing the base to actually show up at the polls. Of course both parties have figured out that offering up initiatives on controversial issue, even though likely to fail, is another way to get out their own base in mid-terms.

Cynicism runs rampant throughout. While I understand your dissatisfaction, it's hard to see the video clip you posted as anything but par for the course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Party politics as usual.


Not all party politics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.