Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pushing Deeper into Danger

A big preview with lots of detail on the Squad Leaders actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rowswell
United States
knob noster
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone know if you lose your entire squad when you fail on the red enemy die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fail the enemy roll then you lose all squads assigned to the task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
...So if you commit an elite, you're taking a big risk. But if you don't commit an elite, your odds of success are much less.

Yep, that feels like X-Com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Bright Side wrote:
...So if you commit an elite, you're taking a big risk. But if you don't commit an elite, your odds of success are much less.

Yep, that feels like X-Com.

Ridiculous squad wipes also feels like XCom. shake

Some nice new info, mostly in seeing some research cards in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a ton of fun. Did they make a mistake later in the article where they are placing their assault on battle scanners and their sniper on run and gun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joeynine wrote:
Looks like a ton of fun. Did they make a mistake later in the article where they are placing their assault on battle scanners and their sniper on run and gun?

Does seem that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One point of the preview did somewhat contradict the demo i had at Essen. When they talk about squad missions having 3 tasks to fulfill, they say

FFG wrote:

In other words, to complete any given mission in a single turn, you need to attempt at least one task while the threat level hovers at a fairly menacing “3,” and the odds are good that you’ll see your threat level rise even higher than that.

implying that you get to at least threat level 3 when you do a mission in one turn. This in turn implies that the threat level rises by one for each additional task you attempt, even if you completed the previous one in one go.

The way the rules were explained at Essen, while the threat level does not go down between tasks, you don't get any extra threat for a new task. Thread only goes up if you fail to complete a task with your roll and want to continue rolling. This way you could theoretically (in practice, not so much) do a complete mission at threat 1 if you complete each task on your first try.

Does anyone have inside information or own experiences with demos at gencon/pax/essen that confirm/contradict this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
joeynine wrote:
Just a typo in the battle scanner bit, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The images also show them placed that way, that's why I mentioned it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
behindthemirrors wrote:
Does anyone have inside information or own experiences with demos at gencon/pax/essen that confirm/contradict this?

You may assume that the description on the website is correct. I have seen FFG employees explain the game at cons and give contradictory information. Evidently not all of them know the rules as well as the designers do. Not surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
behindthemirrors wrote:

You may assume that the description on the website is correct. I have seen FFG employees explain the game at cons and give contradictory information. Evidently not all of them know the rules as well as the designers do. Not surprising.

It's also possible that this is a late rules tweak, or that they only settled which of two versions they were going for after the initial round of demos.

It gets harder to assume that the description on the website is correct when it apparently contradicts itself - the battle scanner/run and gun switch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
It gets harder to assume that the description on the website is correct when it apparently contradicts itself - the battle scanner/run and gun switch...

They have corrected that in the meantime...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

They have corrected that in the meantime...

The images have been corrected, but the text still reads:

Quote:
Wanting to complete the task in one, final push, he places an assault soldier on Battle Scanners to treat all the enemy’s skills as though they were specialized; this means that his heavy and sniper now match specialized skills with their specialized skills, and the Squad Leader adds two more XCOM dice to his pool. Finally, he places a sniper on Run & Gun to add an eighth XCOM die. (Click on the above image to view a larger version.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, still wrong. I saw the text: "placing an assault soldier on your Run & Gun and a sniper on your Battle Scanners." which is in there too (and which is correct).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.