Jeff Sonas
United States
California
flag msg tools
The way I have been playing, Rakal and Sirol are two of the most powerful cards you can get against the Borg. However, I am unsure whether I am playing them correctly. So I have a couple of questions.

(1) Can I use Rakal to prevent a Borg effect? For instance, avoiding starship damage from flipping a Borg cube when I already have Borg cards in my hand, or avoiding receiving a Borg card when I fail to defeat a Borg ship, etc.? The way I play, if a Borg ship destroys my flagship, I normally get two Borg cards (one for failing to defeat the ship, one for losing my ship) but if I have Rakal available, then I can play her and avoid the "failing to defeat the Borg" effect, so I only receive one Borg card instead of two.

(2) Can I use Sirol when I explore, to let me look at two cards and decide which of them I want to encounter? I know that it has been ruled elsewhere that Sensor Scan doesn't go into effect in time to accomplish this in the Borg game, but I don't think I've seen discussion of Sirol. It makes the game a lot easier if I can maintain a lean deck so that Sirol comes up every other turn to help me avoid danger.

And while I am asking questions...

(3) The other day I had one of the Borg missions from a previous turn, still uncompleted, and I encountered Locutus. I was about to concede that I couldn't get the attack I needed to defeat Locutus, until I realized that I could complete the mission (Disable Interplexing Beacon) which would then let me draw two cards, and that was sufficient to defeat Locutus. Is this allowed? I know that you can't interrupt a battle with a Borg ship by playing a Setup or buying cards, but I don't know if it's different for Events like Locutus.

By the way I love playing the solo Borg game; it's definitely my favorite solitaire game, out of all board/card/computer games I know of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You cannot use Rakal in this way. The text specifically says you can ignore the effect from another player. The explore deck is not a player. I believe this has come up before on the forums.

2) Sirol is actually useless against the Borg. If you note the turn sequence on page 19 of the manual, exploring happens at the start of your turn, before you are allowed to play cards. You cannot play Sirol to modify the exploration deck. In general, any character that allows you to modify an explore action is useless against the Borg. (I think Tam Elbrun is the only card that is useful here as he allows you to modify the exploration deck without actually drawing a card.)

3) This one seems a bit tricky. I was going to say that you are not allowed to complete a mission in the middle of an event. I have always played the game such that you have to resolve an event before you can perform any other actions. However, the way the rulebook reads, I don't think you've actually violated the rules as written. I would have to go through the forums and check the various rule clarifications to verify if this is correct.

In general, I would suggest going through the rules forums here. A lot of ambiguities in the manual are cleared up. Posts from Alex can be considered official as he designed the game. (Also, if you have future rule question, I would politely ask that you post the text of the card with the question so that we don't have to go looking through the box to find the one card you are referencing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sonas
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for the answers and the suggestions, David. I think I agree with your interpretations. I had previously read through much of the forums, as well as the card manifest that included FAQ answers, but it is quite possible that I missed something. Since it seems unlikely there will be further official releases to these games, I wonder if perhaps it would be a good idea for this community to "crowdsource" a more user-friendly (and more comprehensive) single rules document.

Per your suggestion, here is the text of the three relevant card effects:

Sirol: When you explore, before you flip the top card of the space deck, look at the top 2 cards of the space deck. Move 1 to the top and the rest to the bottom of the space deck.

Rakal: You may play this card at any time to prevent another player's effect from affecting you or your teammate. (Playing this card means moving it to your bridge).

Tam Elbrun: Peek at the top card of the space deck. When exploring, you may flip the bottom card of the space deck instead of the top.

So I think you are saying that it's just the "Peek at the top card of the space deck" part of the Tam Elbrun effect that could be used against the Borg, i.e. in the middle of a turn in preparation for the next turn. I would also think that if you had somehow managed to play Sirol or Tam Elbrun to your bridge, and then you subsequently explored during that turn, then you could use the full effects of Sirol or Tam Elbrun, but I believe that the flow is structured in the Borg game so that this is not ever possible. I had thought Borg Invasion was a possible loophole (I am not really familiar with this card because I typically play solo and so I have removed Borg Invasion, Return of the Borg, and Shelby's Guidance as being largely irrelevant to the solo game) but upon reading its effect with this in mind, I don't see a loophole, given the "...after all cards are flipped" text.

Borg Invasion: Flip 1 card from the space deck for each exploring player. Apply the effects of each flipped card before flipping the next card. Any battle occurs after all cards are flipped. Then, remove this card from the game.

Return of the Borg: You each gain Borg Cards in your hand until each of you have the same number of Borg Cards in your hands. Then, remove this card from the game and explore again.

Shelby's Guidance: Set this card aside. During your turn, you may move this card to the bottom of the space deck. If you do, ignore all Borg Cubes' restriction of playing Maneuvers with the same name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.