Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by the chocolate milk tasting thread, the beer thread, and more: an exchange for people who like locally-roasted craft coffee.

When I travel around I love partaking in local coffee shops, sampling everything from pour-overs to cortados. So why not amass a bunch of gaming and coffee nerds together in Dallas and see if they want to swap bags of coffee?

Why?
With the influx of third-wave coffee shops over the last decade, the coffee culture has really taken off. More people are getting away from corporate places and learning how to make and brew coffee at home. By getting people from all over to participate, we can taste the roast profiles of different regions as interpreted by different roasters around the country (world). Also, it's sometimes difficult to get Stumptown, Blue Bottle, Counter Culture, Intelligentsia, or Heart Roasters across the world.

What do I bring?
A sealed 12-16oz bag of whole coffee beans, fresh from your favorite local roaster. Let's make sure the roast dates are recent; we don't need any three-week old coffee to exchange. And all the nerdy coffee knowledge you have.

What don't I bring?
Pre-ground anything. Coffee from any chain. The leftover stuff you had at home.
As much as I would love to have a tasting, the logistics or kettle, grinder, scale, water supply, and actual brewing devices is more than I want to take to BGG.CON, despite being local. Maybe some year...

Where?
Outside of the Innovation Ballroom directly after the Virtual Flea Market trade Thursday at 7pm.
I will have a sign with my avatar and username from the VFM anyways. So find me.

When?
Thursday 7pm. This is directly after the VFM, which continues the giving.

Personally, I will probably bring a few bags of coffee, one from Cultivar, Eiland Coffee Roasters, and/or Tweed (part of Houndstooth). All are local and all are eeeeexcellent.

Need to get a hold of me? Please text 214.662.2431!

After looking around lets meet at the D Doorway for Innovation at 7pm.
If we need to move to accommodate we can. That's a good meetup space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interest in a BGG.CON craft coffee exchange?
I might could be down with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
I would do a coffee exchange.

ETA: I don't think it would be too difficult to coordinate either, just grab a couple of the big tables in Filmmakers' Hall at a specified time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Just do it!

Announce a time and a place, bring your coffee, and have fun geeking out on all things coffee!

I have a buddy that home roasts coffee (my favorite batch was from a company called Sweet Marias...Costa Rica I think...smelled like a Mexican Restaurant...hints of cumin and chile...I know that sounds weird, but it was divine.). I might be willing to trade for something. Im a light roast kinda guy. It makes me sad whenever people choose dark roasts, thinking about all the flavors that are destroyed in the process. Starbucks takes it to the extreme. Even their "blonde roast" is too overdone for me (Starbucks does have its place though...mixed with lots of cream and sugary stuff).

What do you think you will be bringing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
My at-home drinking is split about 75/25 between light/medium and dark, so while I tend to prefer the lighter roasts I could go either way depending on the tastes of the group.

Likely I'll go with True Coffee Roasters. There are several high-quality roasters in the Madison area, but I share multiple social circles with one of True's proprietors, so I like to support them unless I'm specifically looking for something different on a given day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I trade fresh eggs for coffee with a co-worker that home roasts, and he also uses beans from Sweet Maria's. I'll be happy to put some in my bag to trade at the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just come by with my mug and sample?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated to make it as "official" as this can be!

Spread the word! Bring some coffee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
Starbucks takes it to the extreme. Even their "blonde roast" is too overdone for me...

What do you think you will be bringing?

I think Starbucks actually "double roasts" their coffee. Or at least, that's the dirty rumor.

And I updated my post in the original as to what I'll bring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Can I just come by with my mug and sample?

You might get a cup full of beans, but sure!

In all honesty, I might bring some coffee-brewing stuff. If so, I'd be honored to make you a cup, Roger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
travisdhill wrote:
Where?
Tentatively somewhere in Filmmaker's Hall.

That's not going to work as Filmmakers is dedicated to DemoLand and Hot Games. There are no open gaming tables in that room.

These kinds of things generally need to happen in someone's guestroom as only food and beverage from the hotel is supposed to be consumed in the meeting spaces. I realize this specific one probably doesn't involve any actual consumption, but also keep in mind it is possible some of our guests could put off by the smell of coffee if any powerful aromas are involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
travisdhill wrote:
Where?
Tentatively somewhere in Filmmaker's Hall.

That's not going to work as Filmmakers is dedicated to DemoLand and Hot Games. There are no open gaming tables in that room.

These kinds of things generally need to happen in someone's guestroom as only food and beverage from the hotel is supposed to be consumed in the meeting spaces. I realize this specific one probably doesn't involve any actual consumption, but also keep in mind it is possible some of our guests could put off by the smell of coffee if any powerful aromas are involved.

THIS is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you, Jeff! An edit will follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about getting 3 or 4 1/4 lb bags? Then everyone could get several kinds.

Also whole bean or ground?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whole bean would be my preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
What about getting 3 or 4 1/4 lb bags? Then everyone could get several kinds.

Also whole bean or ground?

I have a grinder at home, so I'd definitely prefer whole bean.

I think getting some half pounds might be neat it you're able to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather M
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I found this thread! I will bring some Verve from Cali http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/ and some from my local roaster Dark Nectar.

PS: Anyone know what's the in room coffee maker situation is like at the hotel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TempuraMental wrote:
Glad I found this thread! I will bring some Verve from Cali http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/ and some from my local roaster Dark Nectar.

Excellent! Verve is great and I'm on board for some local roasters.

I'm sure it's your standard hotel coffee pot. I'm considering pre-grinding (ugh) my coffee and bringing a french press for my room. Heat up the water in the coffee pot, weigh it out via a scale and go on from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As we draw closer, this is a friendly reminder to be scoping and choosing your roasters now if you haven't already.

Bring a bag or two, half pound, 12oz, or whole pound.

I'm sure we'll blind draw for the switch.

Would everyone want to meet outside of the Innovation Ballroom directly after the Virtual Flea Market trade Thursday at 7pm?

Otherwise, we meet in a hotel room, which would be fine too.

Simply trying to nail this down before we all get there and get too busy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beauchamp
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea, I'm in. I'm from Dallas - I'll be there with two or three bags, probably from Noble Coyote and/or White Rock Coffee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smokinokra wrote:
I love this idea, I'm in. I'm from Dallas - I'll be there with two or three bags, probably from Noble Coyote and/or White Rock Coffee.

Excellent! Noble Coyote has some good stuff! Also right down the street from my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flesher
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangit, I just volunteered for the scotch tasting which happens at the same time. I home roast and I'll have my french press and a couple of varietals in case anybody wants to hit me up to nerd about coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discordia wrote:
Dangit, I just volunteered for the scotch tasting which happens at the same time. I home roast and I'll have my french press and a couple of varietals in case anybody wants to hit me up to nerd about coffee.

Sad and excellent at the same time!

We should totally meet up at some point anyways. I'm just bringing a french press as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather M
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travisdhill wrote:
TempuraMental wrote:

I'm sure it's your standard hotel coffee pot. I'm considering pre-grinding (ugh) my coffee and bringing a french press for my room. Heat up the water in the coffee pot, weigh it out via a scale and go on from there.

Travis: I'll meet up with you sometime and give you mine to trade cause I just realized that I will be at Tournament of Kings for my friends birthday that night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TempuraMental wrote:
travisdhill wrote:
TempuraMental wrote:

Travis: I'll meet up with you sometime and give you mine to trade cause I just realized that I will be at Tournament of Kings for my friends birthday that night.

You got it and we'll make sure you get a bag back. I'll put my phone number in the Main Post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who was able to make it out and brought coffee! This stuff is tasty.

Next year we will set up a better time AND place for everyone.

Take care!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.