Hide
2 Posts

Catan Scenarios: Frenemies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unsure of the point of connect networks mechanic. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hendu the Dude
msg tools
My impression when reading the rules PDF (I do not yet have this scenario) is that the point of this expansion is to provide "altruistic" incentives for people not to deliberately damage other players, and give "win-win" opportunities? This certainly seems to be the case with the "move the robber harmlessly" and the "give away a resource card" mechanics

However, if this is the case, I'm not really sure the point of the "connect networks" mechanic.

One point of contention in the base game is people going out of their way to build roads to deliberately cut people off from getting the Longest Road, getting to a competing settlement point, and completely walling off players.

While this makes the getting cut off not quite so painful (since the victim gets a favor token), it seems to actually encourage the aggressor to cut off other players to get the 3 favor tokens, whereas by base-game rules maybe they wouldn't have gone out of their way to do so because it would have been too costly.

As it stands in the base game, cutting people off costs resources (building roads, and sometimes settlements in normally inopportune places like low roll hexes). However, favor tokens seem to mitigate or even negate those costs. I could build 3 roads to cut some one off, then get three "free" roads back by turning in road builder tokens.

I probably just don't get it since I haven't played the scenario but I'd like some clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think there is any point to it in terms of being friendly.

It does create an incentive to connect to your opponent's network before they connect to yours to make sure you get the lion's share of the tokens. It doesn't necessitate actually cutting someone off or constraining their growth (which might require the expenditure of more resources).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.