Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Structure Damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've missed where it describes what structure damage does. I know it stacks, but then what?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take more structure damage than you have available structure boxes, your aircraft has been shot down. Each time you get a structural damage, you will cover a structure box on the aircraft card. Note the box after the last structural damage ... crash.

Otherwise, structure damage has no negative effect. So, if you have 3 boxes, and 1, 2, or 3 damage, you are fine. If you get a fourth, it is time to reach for the ejection handle.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, snap! Then my A-10 was shot down today.

Thanks for the help!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! That's an expensive wreck! Be sure to note that if the damage chit pulled has the aircraft type on it that is being hit, that hit is negated. There are a lot of A-10 type chits in there, something to not forget!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a bit of the rules I noticed. Good reminder, though.

This game is pretty amazing. Can't wait until I have a better feel for all the many rules so I can have a smooth playthrough.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already, look in the file section here for "Flatten the Learning Curve Rules Summary". I found it very helpful. It includes a clear sequence of what you do each turn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Angel
United Kingdom
Bristol
England
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience, a 'smooth' playthrough of TAL is like getting beaten up by a bar full of gorillas and then crawling out in a bloody mess with your thumb up saying "Its good bro, I got this".

And that's what I love.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CactuarLOL wrote:
From my experience, a 'smooth' playthrough of TAL is like getting beaten up by a bar full of gorillas and then crawling out in a bloody mess with your thumb up saying "Its good bro, I got this".

And that's what I love.


Ha! That's hilarious.

Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions.
I found the rules summary, which has been helpful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some other damage related questions I couldn't answer using the manual or FAQ.

Cumulative system damage:
I think it is actually stated in the rules that damage to the same system is cumulative, e.g. If you have three Display hits, you suffer -6 to stand-off attacks (is it stand-off?). For some systems, this makes perfect sense (e.g. Pylon damage) but it leads to the following questions:

1) If you retire a plane with no damage to a system, would you be able to repair 1 or all damage counters to that system on another aircraft of the same type? I have been playing it for only one, but then again, if the retired aircraft has a virgin HUD, why should the second aircraft not be restored to full functionality?
2) if you take a pylon hit and decide to discard a fuel tank to adjust the WP limit, do you actually loose two Loiter turns, or would you assume the tank is half or fully empty if this happens during turn 2 or later of the mission?
3) What does pylon damage beyond WP limit do? (e.g. a AH-1 with four pylon damage chits)? I have been playing it has no effect (beyond the WP limit of 0) would you still track the 4 hits for repairs (i.e. you have to repair two to get back 2 WP loadout? Makes partial sense, as a pylon could be shot up extremely bad...
4) the FAQ states that Cannon damage to a AC-130 destroys a random cannon. Where is this stated? Usually, Cannon damage just inflicts a -2 penalty, so the 105mm could still be effective with 2 or 3 damage countes ( well at least against trucks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answers inline below...

Tarod wrote:

1) If you retire a plane with no damage to a system, would you be able to repair 1 or all damage counters to that system on another aircraft of the same type? I have been playing it for only one, but then again, if the retired aircraft has a virgin HUD, why should the second aircraft not be restored to full functionality?


This is in the rulebook starting on p21 under the heading Salvage. It works pretty much exactly as you described, but only for HUD, Display, Controls, Engine, Cannon, and Pylon.

Tarod wrote:
2) if you take a pylon hit and decide to discard a fuel tank to adjust the WP limit, do you actually loose two Loiter turns, or would you assume the tank is half or fully empty if this happens during turn 2 or later of the mission?


I'd go with no change to the loiter counter. Realistically, the fuel tank would have been used up first before you even got to the mission site (and dropped). You could imply that the rules support this since they only mention that having the fuel tank adds +2 loiter turns when you initially place the loiter counter for the mission. There's no mention of anything special happening if you lose the fuel tank.

Tarod wrote:
3) What does pylon damage beyond WP limit do? (e.g. a AH-1 with four pylon damage chits)? I have been playing it has no effect (beyond the WP limit of 0) would you still track the 4 hits for repairs (i.e. you have to repair two to get back 2 WP loadout? Makes partial sense, as a pylon could be shot up extremely bad...


Rules wise, there's no limit to the number of a particular effect that can stack, so I'd say you would track all 4 hits for repair purposes. And yes, you would need to repair 2 of the Pylon hits to get up to 2 WP maximum.

Tarod wrote:
4) the FAQ states that Cannon damage to a AC-130 destroys a random cannon. Where is this stated? Usually, Cannon damage just inflicts a -2 penalty, so the 105mm could still be effective with 2 or 3 damage countes ( well at least against trucks :)


The rules for AC-130 cannon hits are on p24, under the special rules for the AC-130. The applicable rule is: "A Cannon* Hit only affects one of its 3 Cannons. Randomly determine which Cannon is affected.". IMHO, since it doesn't mention the cannon being destroyed, I play AC-130 cannon hits as a -2 to that particular Cannon's attacks.

I think the FAQ is taking from this post that cannons are destroyed, but with a lack of rules evidence or official post here, this is one of the few places that I (at least intentionally) deviate from the FAQ. Note, I haven't checked ConSimWorld's forums to see if this might support the FAQ.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andersch
Germany
Korntal-Münchingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will check this and change it in the FAQ, if necessary.
Are there other points that need correction?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.