Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(The following excerpt is taken from the personal log of Flight Sgt. Raymond White, front gunner for AJ-H during Operation Chastise)

Step 1 - Die roll is ODD, place bomber AJ-O into the Sorpe Dam (representing the Bever Dam) Far Zone Approach Box, from the Circling Near box. Note: Aldis Lights not on as they have no effect at this location.

Vector Check 1D6 = 1, at Recon 1 (Fog) the result is SS/AA.

We were in tandem with AJ-Orange heading towards the Ennepe Dam when Townsend broke-off and started to circle. Through the thick layer of fog we could barely see a target, which our Navigator Jenkins thought was the Bever Dam and not the Ennepe.

Townsend then began a dark approach run without issuing a Very Light Flare. His chosen vector put him right on top of the soup, surely making altitude estimation impossible, and we could not judge his speed.

Step 2 - No Speed chit draws allowed due to SS (normally a Green crew would get 1 draw).

Step 3 - No Altitude chit draws allowed due to AA (normally a Green crew would get 1 draw).

Step 4 - Flak check (none present).

Enemy Activity was nil, not a single flak burst to be seen or heard.

Step 5 - AJ-O pulls up, receives a Dummy Run marker, and returns to the Circle Near box. The bomber cannot fire a Very Light Flare since it did not began and end the Attack Turn in a Circling box.

Next, having apparently gauged an unfavorable approach, Townsend pulled-up and began to circle again. There was no evidence of a mine being dropped. Had he recognized the wrong target?

Visibility Status - 2D6 roll results in a 7, -2DRM for Flight Turn 7's visibility modifier, final result = 5; Fog remains.

Still circling, we hoped to see a break in the fog but providence wouldn't allow it.

Defender Attrition Check - None; Upkeep not released.

Nightfighter Check - Activity Level is 0, Nightfighter Not Nearby, 2D6 roll results in a 2 (snake eyes), Nightfighter Attacks!

Shells suddenly began to rake AJ-O, which immediately caught fire. We never saw the Me110 swoop in for its single pass, and apparently AJ-O didn't either as there was no gunner return fire. Not that the poor lads were given a chance. After a few more seconds, the flaming aircraft banked sharply to the right and vanished into an adjacent valley below, its certain fate unseen.

Detonation Result - None (no mine dropped).

Very Light Flare Check - Skip; none in the air.

Game End - Lancaster destroyed, all crewmen lost.

Bloody Hell! We immediately scattered and thankfully the enemy owl didn't molest us. With the mission compromised, there was little option but to return to base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, soldier. Keep it coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
Yikes. Nabbed by a nightfighter.

And Grantham will remain in the dark for years to come. They won't even know which dam that Lancaster attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Step 5 - AJ-O pulls up, receives a Dummy Run marker, and returns to the Circle Near box. The bomber cannot fire a Very Light Flare since it did not began and end the Attack Turn in a Circling box.

I'm making a crib notes sheet for the Attack Turn, and believe that I made a mistake here - the rules (4.3.1) state spending the entire phase in the Circling Near box, not the entire turn.

So a bomber cannot move from the Circling Far box to the Circling Near box and then fire a flare, but a bomber that pulls-up on its run to the Circling Near box can fire a flare.

My mistake, I misinterpreted the rule (which is correct as written).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Scenario 5 again...

Attack Turns 5 and 6 were still Fog, so the Lancaster pulled-up twice to accumulate a Dummy Run counter and also to fire two flares (one each turn, max). With the increased Activity Level (now at 2) due to those flares, a Nightfighter approached nearby.

Attack Turn 7 was still Fog, but a lucky break (rolled a '6') resulted in just a 'S'peed and an 'A'ltitude result; the flare cancelled the 'A'. (edit: there were 2 flares, which could have cancelled a second 'A' result, plus I fired 2 flares just in case the first one burned out)

So while in the Far Zone, our intrepid crew drew a Speed chit (Dummy Run expended to do so) and an Altitude chit (just 1 due to their Green status), showing the bomber's approach Altitude was OK (at 56', 2 chits) while its Speed was off (at 212 mph, 1 chit).

Entering the Near Zone, an adjustment is made to Speed (possible replacement chit draw), revealing that the plane was now erratic (0 chits, but discarded since it was worse than the 1 chit draw).

Release now (very low odds), or pull-up again and make another run (but risk that Nightfighter)? (Note: proceeding into the Close Box won't help our Speed with a Final Check since we have no chit draws. Altitude may possibly improve, but there's the Late Release Penalty to consider)

The release button is pushed and Upkeep skips across the surface of the dam. Our Final Altitude check (2 draws, pink side) shows the plane best at 67' with a +2 DRM. Its Speed (1 draw, pink side) gave a +1 DRM. The Crew's skill is a further +1 DRM. Finally, our elite Bomb-Aimer gives us a +1 DRM, so our total is +5 DRM (not so good). A 2d6 roll is an '8', modified to a '13', is a Failure.

Activity Level at the dam goes up 1 (to 3).

Fog remains, but it won't impede the German hunter who shoots the Lancaster down as it Climbs into the Near box. One crew member bails out and is located by the underground who eventually guide him to safety.

Damn dam! (but good fun)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Speed was off (at 212 mph, 1 chit).

Entering the Near Zone, an adjustment is made to Speed (replacement chit draw), revealing that the plane was now erratic (0 chits)!

Steve, it seems like you exchanged better Speed chit for the worse one! Why? Or maybe I misunderstood this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy44 wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:
Speed was off (at 212 mph, 1 chit).

Entering the Near Zone, an adjustment is made to Speed (replacement chit draw), revealing that the plane was now erratic (0 chits)!

Steve, it seems like you exchanged better Speed chit for the worse one! Why? Or maybe I misunderstood this?

Good catch, Andy - I took "replace" in 4.2.6 too literally, where in the following Procedure paragraph it clearly says you choose to keep one.

So with a random 1 chit Speed draw (+1 DRM), my total was 13 instead of 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
Early testing played with this procedure: 1) Decide to adjust; 2) Set the current chit aside; 3) Randomly draw new chit; 4) Put back the old chit in the cup.

It was changed because it was too tough and discouraged adjustment. If you want a tougher game, you can certainly do it that way. Personally, I find it adds to the drama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JWgamewhen wrote:
Early testing played with this procedure: 1) Decide to adjust; 2) Set the current chit aside; 3) Randomly draw new chit; 4) Put back the old chit in the cup.

It was changed because it was too tough and discouraged adjustment. If you want a tougher game, you can certainly do it that way. Personally, I find it adds to the drama.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I probably subconsciously played that way (i.e., the extra decision-trees and difficulty).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.