Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Muñoz de la Peña
Spain
Seville
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for solo play are for a cooperative game in which you play with all the tribes. Has anybody tried to play with a single tribe?

Playing with all the tribes feels less thematic and more complex. A variant in which you had random attacks and extinction of biomes due to the other tribes would be great!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinwë
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Donkeys!! ^^
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. I tried, to learn the rules, to play solo with the three tribes but didn't enjoy it, because the aspect of competition between tribes completely disappears and the game was reduced to rolling dice to check whether hunts are successful or not. And being hit by negative events. I gave up after a couple of rounds, when sure I got all rules right. It didn't feel thematic at all to me.

I suspect the same cooperative version of the game will be as uninteresting for the same reasons. I still have to try the game in multiplayer and hope I will enjoy it more!

But yes, for the solo game to be viable some AI for the other tribes, even a very simple one, would be welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a single, random tribe when I was learning the basic rules. I drew the Norse. I thought it was fun. Looking forward to the competitive aspects of the game in multi-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmps wrote:
The rules for solo play are for a cooperative game in which you play with all the tribes. Has anybody tried to play with a single tribe?

Playing with all the tribes feels less thematic and more complex. A variant in which you had random attacks and extinction of biomes due to the other tribes would be great!

David

For an engaging competitive solo experience try the Frozen Valhalla variant, by NoppaGames. While it is still a work in progress, it succeeds IMHO in restoring part the adversarial and competitive nature of multiplayer Greenland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Tate
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
davidmps wrote:

David

For an engaging competitive solo experience try the Frozen Valhalla variant, by NoppaGames. While it is still a work in progress, it succeeds IMHO in restoring part the adversarial and competitive nature of multiplayer Greenland.

If ever a post deserved more than a single thumbs up, this would surely be it. I had the same issue this last weekend when I finally sat down with the solo 3-player rules, it was just disappointing. Thank you for steering us in the right direction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try something like this as a solo challenge ?:

(1) play one [random] tribe
(2) use a deck that contains ALL event cards
(3) use 6 biomes North and South (as per regular 3-player game)
(4) survive until the end of the Event deck and earn at least 13 VPs to claim victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.