India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OVERVIEW
Cadence is 2 player road cycling game which uses 18 cards to bring in the strategy of road cycling in a card game. Players can use energy, shift gears, maintain their stamina, use abilities and try to cross the finish line before their opponent. Cadence uses the placement of cards on the table to denote stats and actions. There are 2 racers with some same while some unique abilities and 2 tracks to play on.

HOW TO PLAY

A quick description of the rules:

Cadence Full Rules

LINKS
Download The Cadence PnP PDF Here

BGG Page | Gamecrafter Prototype | Facebook Page

Some playtest images:

I had earlier entered this game in the 18 card microgame contest held here on BGG and have got a lot of good feedback and experience from it. I am now collaborating with pulpapocalipsis, a really nice artist, for the art for the game we are planning a Kickstarter somewhere in the middle of September. I've posted some of the new we are working on in this post of the thread. Since the contest, a lot of changes have been made, but i am still testing out and tweaking and i am definitely still looking for any playtesters. So if anyone is interested, will super appreciate it!
Thanks for visiting the thread. I look forward to any comments or thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP- 18 Card Microgame Contest] Cadence - Road Racing Championship, a bike racing game

Rules PDF: Cadence rules Sheet PDF

Thank for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Cadence - Road Racing Championship - 18 Card Microgame Contest(a biking game)

Print And Play PDF file: Cadence PnP PDF

Cards:
(The first two images are of card fronts and the last two images are of card backs)

Playtest Note - be careful while cutting cards that have rules on their backs as the text extends right till the borders.

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to give it a try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Re: [WIP] Cadence - Road Racing Championship - 18 Card Microgame Contest(a biking game)
Wow, I'm surprised at how much you've manage to put into just 18 cards! Very nice use of the 'only use pen & paper for scorekeeping' rule too, with distance essentially being score/VPs.

Some thoughts I had while reading your rules:

If the finish is essentially at the start of the first track card, you may want to put the finish line at the edge of the card rather than in the middle. Initially I thought there was like 7,5m on each side...

With the way your stamina and gear cards interlock, they'll come apart whenever the player goes to lowest gear. Seems inconvient, maybe changing the card layout a bit can fix that?

If I understand things correctly, you gain/lose stamina AFTER moving, right? So if you move into a new section during your turn you have to pay the stamina cost of the NEW section? I.e. if you have 3 stamina on a flat section it seems like you can use 5 energy, but if that would take you into a climb section you can't (because it would suddenly cost more than 3 stamina)? If that's true, it's cumbersome that you have to plan out your entire move before actually starting it.

What do the 2 different ability cards (blue and red) mean? Is that player 1 and 2 having different abilities?

I thought the wording "Till you are within 8m behind a racer" is not very clear. Do you mean "If you are 8m or less behind another racer"? Also, how do you keep track of Aerodynamic's/Cadance's turn counting?

With 6 track cards plus 6 cards per player (bike, gear, stamina, ability, 2 energy) where are you going to put the rules? Looking forward to the PnP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Frank
United States
Bradford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games! Too many games! How can you have too many games?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the start line. Moving it to the edge of the card clears things up.

Likewise with the interlocking cards. Squeezing the gears upwards and leaving a blank space at the bottom would alleviate the problem.

Using one card for energy should work, leaving one rules card for each player. Just have each edge of a card represent a number. 1-4 on the edges of one side and 5 on the other, or whatever combination is preferable.

A good question re: when is stamina counted. In cycling games I play that sort of thing is usually measured by where a rider started, but it could go the other way. It should be clearly defined in either case.

How about adding variant course images to the reverse side? Put flat sections on the backs of the climbs/descents and vice versa, or just vary them otherwise to create a different course on the back.

I can definitely see myself with multiple copies of this game! More course variation and more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Cadence - Road Racing Championship (18 Card Microgame Contest) - Rules posted!
khendrix wrote:
If the finish is essentially at the start of the first track card, you may want to put the finish line at the edge of the card rather than in the middle. Initially I thought there was like 7,5m on each side...

Yes, I will do that. thanks for the input.

Quote:
With the way your stamina and gear cards interlock, they'll come apart whenever the player goes to lowest gear. Seems inconvient, maybe changing the card layout a bit can fix that?

True. that used to happen in my play tests. Yes, making some space at the bottom of both cards will solve that.

Quote:
If I understand things correctly, you gain/lose stamina AFTER moving, right? So if you move into a new section during your turn you have to pay the stamina cost of the NEW section? I.e. if you have 3 stamina on a flat section it seems like you can use 5 energy, but if that would take you into a climb section you can't (because it would suddenly cost more than 3 stamina)? If that's true, it's cumbersome that you have to plan out your entire move before actually starting it.

No, you lose stamina based on the section you started the turn on. Maybe changing the turn order and putting "lose/gain the required stamina" before "move the required distance" can do the trick? So you'll lose stamina before you move.

Quote:
What do the 2 different ability cards (blue and red) mean? Is that player 1 and 2 having different abilities?

Yes the two players have 2 different ability cards. Some of the abilities are common while some differ (so that there is variation). I will make clear in the rules, thanks.

Quote:
I thought the wording "Till you are within 8m behind a racer" is not very clear. Do you mean "If you are 8m or less behind another racer"? Also, how do you keep track of Aerodynamic's/Cadance's turn counting?

Sorry for not being clear on the drafting part. Yes I do do mean that and I'll change it right away.
As for keeping track of abilities, before you use an ability, you shift the ability card so that the arrow on the gear card points to the ability you're using. Also, you need to do certain things for some turns to gain advantage of abilities like "cadence". So, as you plan your present turn according to that, you are constantly reminded.
Although this hasn't happened in my playtests yet, it very valid problem and might happen in blind testing. I will probably just know that once the PNP is up.

Quote:
With 6 track cards plus 6 cards per player (bike, gear, stamina, ability, 2 energy) where are you going to put the rules? Looking forward to the PnP

Currently, 10 of the cards have backs. That leaves me with 8 numbered card backs to squeeze in the rules.

Glad you liked the game, Koen! I will put up the PNP in the next 2 to 3 days hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Cadence - Road Racing Championship (18 Card Microgame Contest) - Rules posted!
djfrank wrote:
I agree about the start line. Moving it to the edge of the card clears things up.

Likewise with the interlocking cards. Squeezing the gears upwards and leaving a blank space at the bottom would alleviate the problem.

done and done. thanks!

Quote:
Using one card for energy should work, leaving one rules card for each player. Just have each edge of a card represent a number. 1-4 on the edges of one side and 5 on the other, or whatever combination is preferable.

Sorry, I didn't really get the mechanic you are trying to state here. Could you please elaborate? The rules will be on 8 card backs as mentioned in the earlier post so I guess a rule card might not be absolutely essential.

Quote:
A good question re: when is stamina counted. In cycling games I play that sort of thing is usually measured by where a rider started, but it could go the other way. It should be clearly defined in either case.

I also answered this in the earlier post. I will define it in the rules for sure.

Quote:
How about adding variant course images to the reverse side? Put flat sections on the backs of the climbs/descents and vice versa, or just vary them otherwise to create a different course on the back.

This is a great idea! Actually I was planning on doing something like this. On the back of track cards is a section of a new track - 'Uphill Ascend'. This is the 2nd and more difficult track which is assembled with cards shaped like an "S". It also has tougher climbs. It will be included in the PNP.

Quote:
I can definitely see myself with multiple copies of this game! More course variation and more players.

Wow, I love that first sentence! thanks.
I have also been thinking about solo and 3-4 player variants now that you bring it up. But the ideas are pretty rough, I'll probably post them in this thread later.
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,
The PnP is coming coming out nice and slow. I have to make another track on the backs of track cards, so it might take another 3 days max.

I digitally made a 'mock-up' image of the gameplay. Here's how the table should look when the game is in progress.

Also, i would appreciate if someone could give me any advice for the font size on rule cards. I'm having a tough time figuring out what's readable and what's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Frank
United States
Bradford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have plenty of room for rules, though I prefer them on separate cards if they're available.

Anyhow, this is what I had in mind for the "4 sided" cards:
[IMG][/IMG]
A player could put the energy used at the top or flip it over for a "5".

I like the look of the game as you've laid it out. I hope I can find some time this weekend to do some kind of mock up and play through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I understand what you were trying to say now. Very nice concept indeed and suits the contest theme too.

But the only problem is the rules won't fit on just 2 cards, front and back. And it will look a bit disorganised if I put some rules on two 'rules cards' and others on the backs of play cards.

Although, if I have another idea later to add another thing to the game that would fit in 2 cards, I will definitely use this idea.

Can anyone please suggest me a small but readable rule card font size? I am still stuck there. I am also thinking about giving play testers GameCrafter copies without the tuck box. It's essentially just the price of 18 cards and shipping costs. Testers would be happy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Cadence - a biking game [18 CARD MICROGAME CONTEST] - Rules posted
Like suggested earlier by Dennis, the backs of the track cards now also form a new track. This is the second track and the most difficult track having the steepest climbs and descends. This track is called - 'Uphill Ascend'.

The way this track works is, racers start from the bottom card and climb their way to the top. Once they have covered the final Grade 3 climb card, they race back to the bottom. But this time, all the climbs become descends of the same grade. So the race becomes super fast at the end.

There wouldn't be any laps in this track as the track itself is 130 m and so the race will be 260 m. Any advice appreciated .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Di Stefano
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Just a quick thought re:your second track. Instead of saying ascent and descent maybe you could put an arrow that is bigger in one direction and smaller in one direction so that people know that if they are going one way it is uphill and if they go the other way it is downhill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestion. That will also make space on the rule cards as it will be self explanatory. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really liking this one. Looking forward to the PnP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took a while, but finally the PnP and Cards are up in the post after the rules!

Here's the PDF:
Cadence - road racing championship PnP PDF

Check out the second comment for card fronts and backs. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Frank
United States
Bradford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Cadence - a biking game [18 CARD MICROGAME CONTEST] - PnP Uploaded
A couple of quick "first impressions." Please keep in mind I downloaded the file at 5 am, after going to bed at 1 am... snore

I'd put the rules in the order they're played, with Turn Order first.

I'd also combine the two stamina lost/gained charts into one and make sure it's on the back of one of the rider cards. That is the one thing that may need to be consulted during play and it will be most accessible on a rider card. It looks like tightening up the text on the Energy Usage card will leave enough room for the enlarged chart. ("Energy Cards: Each racer has 2 flip sided energy cards which are played such that the sum of numbers on the faces is the energy used that turn." "More energy used = more distance travelled" "Stamina Cards: Each racer has 1 stamina card. Lose/gain stamina each turn according to the energy used and the nature of the track.")

I'd try to have the turn order on the back of the other card for easy reference, too.

I really need to go back to sleep!snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Frank
United States
Bradford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed a set of cards and played through a game. My two racers came within 2m of each other at the end! It was a very enjoyable game.

A few comments:

What is the turn order for the two racers? This is particularly important at the finish. In most cycling games the rider in front moves first. The other common option is whichever rider goes the farthest past the finish line wins if they finish on the same turn.

It would be useful to suggest recording the gear each turn for Racer A if the Cadence ability is to be used. For abilities which take more than one turn to accomplish, does that ability have to be the one chosen for all of those turns, or only during the turn the objective is accomplished?

Should the "Drafting" ability read: _If_ you are within 8m...? I assume this should at the beginning of a turn, before the move.

The Blue card is hard to read. Perhaps white type would be better.

"Descend" is hard to read on the green background. Again, white might be better, or a white border around the blue font.

For Flat and Climb section attacks I'm reading it that any time you begin and/or end on those sections the relevant ability is possible. Or should this only be possible from moving from one section card to another?

At the top of Rules page 7/8 "seperate" should be "separate".

"Descent" rather than "Descend" at the bottom of the 8/8 card and on the Stamina charts.

I ended up printing a second copy of the rules sheet in order to have a reference while I played. I think that by the second game everything but the Stamina chart will be clear.

Another thought occurred to me early this morning, as I went back to sleep. I haven't read the rules for the 18 card contest, but, since you're already cutting the Stamina Cards, would it be possible to have one card for the racers. Put one on top and one on the bottom and cut it in half. The racers could be printed on both sides of their card. I think the half-sized racer cards might also work better on the table.

This would also leave a card for the Turn Order/Stamina Chart that I think would be useful during play. You'd still have 8 sides for the rules, with one being two sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dennis, thanks for giving it a playtest. I definitely agree with most of the points you've put forth. I'll try to answer everything in one go.

djfrank wrote:
What is the turn order for the two racers? This is particularly important at the finish. In most cycling games the rider in front moves first. The other common option is whichever rider goes the farthest past the finish line wins if they finish on the same turn.

Currently its the latter one. And i guess it would be unfair to the one in the back if the one who leads goes first. It may not lead to close races.

Quote:
It would be useful to suggest recording the gear each turn for Racer A if the Cadence ability is to be used. For abilities which take more than one turn to accomplish, does that ability have to be the one chosen for all of those turns, or only during the turn the objective is accomplished?

It has to be chosen for all of those turns. This avoids the use of ability combos. For eg. sprinting for 2 turns and then using aerodynamic ability the next turn. Although combos could actually be a nice twist now that i think about it.
It also helps to keep track of the ability that you are using.

Quote:
Should the "Drafting" ability read: _If_ you are within 8m...? I assume this should at the beginning of a turn, before the move.

Yep. I'll clarify that on the card.

Quote:
The Blue card is hard to read. Perhaps white type would be better.

"Descend" is hard to read on the green background. Again, white might be better, or a white border around the blue font.

The reason i chose blue for the ability card was because the Racer A's bike is blue and it would take some time to repaint the bike. Probably sky blue or a lighter shade can do?
I'll definitely do the white border for descend.

Quote:
For Flat and Climb section attacks I'm reading it that any time you begin and/or end on those sections the relevant ability is possible. Or should this only be possible from moving from one section card to another?

Yes, it is possible from moving from one section card to the required section card. For eg. For climb attacks, you can only do it when you're going to go on a climb section from any other section that you are on. So yes, anytime you end on those sections but not begin.

Quote:
At the top of Rules page 7/8 "seperate" should be "separate".

"Descent" rather than "Descend" at the bottom of the 8/8 card and on the Stamina charts.

Damn typos . Thanks for spotting these.

Quote:
Another thought occurred to me early this morning, as I went back to sleep. I haven't read the rules for the 18 card contest, but, since you're already cutting the Stamina Cards, would it be possible to have one card for the racers. Put one on top and one on the bottom and cut it in half. The racers could be printed on both sides of their card. I think the half-sized racer cards might also work better on the table. This would also leave a card for the Turn Order/Stamina Chart that I think would be useful during play. You'd still have 8 sides for the rules, with one being two sided.

Nice idea, i'll ensure that this is done. I always thought that the racers are too big to be the size of actual sections . Seriously though, it's not very thematic. And yes, you are absolutely right about the table being easily accessible at the time of gameplay. So i think doing this will this will also be a solution your point in the earlier post about table and turn order being easily referable.

Quote:
I'd put the rules in the order they're played, with Turn Order first.

The reason i preferred putting turn order last is that it sort of wraps up or concludes the entire thing leaving the reader with an exact image of what he's going to do in the game. The thing about putting rules in the order they are played is, you'll have to explain things like abilities and gear shifting before they even know how to move on the track. I think would be confusing to grasp certain things before even knowing what you will be doing it for. I'll be giving this a thought though.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the playtest. And a nice close "photo finish" is always cool . How many laps did you play? I am trying to find out if 1 lap is better than 2? Approximately what time did it take to play?
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Frank
United States
Bradford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how long I took, not more than 45 min. for one lap. It took longer because I was taking notes and checking rules more carefully than I'd normally have to. One lap felt about right. I'll try the other course in the next day or two and keep better track of the time.

A lighter shade of blue would probably do the trick for the abilities card. Another issue is that I printed on plain paper and card stock would be crisper, but it really was difficult for me to read the text. I ended up going to the red card to interpret for a couple of the identical entries.

One other thing I noticed was that, if you're setting this up for PnP, the energy card on the red side of the track cards needs to be moved to the opposite side. Otherwise the energy cards print on the backs of the Ability and rules cards if you use two-sided printing.

Looking forward to getting Cadence on the table again--hopefully tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Cadence - road racing championship(18 Card Microgame Contest)
djfrank wrote:
I'm not sure how long I took, not more than 45 min. for one lap. It took longer because I was taking notes and checking rules more carefully than I'd normally have to. One lap felt about right. I'll try the other course in the next day or two and keep better track of the time.

A lighter shade of blue would probably do the trick for the abilities card. Another issue is that I printed on plain paper and card stock would be crisper, but it really was difficult for me to read the text. I ended up going to the red card to interpret for a couple of the identical entries.

One other thing I noticed was that, if you're setting this up for PnP, the energy card on the red side of the track cards needs to be moved to the opposite side. Otherwise the energy cards print on the backs of the Ability and rules cards if you use two-sided printing.

It is a fact that I used the lowest readable font size for rules as i wanted to get diagrams in. Sorry for the inconveneience, i'll try to figure out how i can make text readable.
Yes, i guess i didn't give that much of a though while placing the cards on the PDF. Thanks for spotting the mistake.

Quote:
Looking forward to getting Cadence on the table again--hopefully tonight.

I really appreciate your interest! looking forward to hearing about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadence has been officially entered into the geeklist for the 18 Card Microgame Contest. You can check out the geeklist entry here.

I'm really exited about how good a competitor can it prove to be. Contest deadline is approaching and voting begins at the start of december. Wish me luck .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Frank
United States
Bradford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The text of the rules was fine. I only had trouble reading the blue card. So no worries there.

I only printed the rules off so that I could refer to them without going to the backs of cards that were in use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Frank
United States
Bradford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the hill climb this evening--30 min. up the hill and 20 min. back down.

I thought that Racer A was at a disadvantage, but guess who won! There was only an 11m gap at the finish. It was back and forth and both riders had to take turn by the side of the track to gain some stamina on the uphill ride.

I made a couple of stamina miscalculations on the downhill part of the course, but I don't believe they affected the result. I'd been using such low energy on the way up that I used that column on the way down for a couple of turns when they cranked up the energy use. Nothing you can do about that in the rules!

I did notice one other thing about the stamina cards. The font makes it look they are ST AMINA cards.

The game really does provide a challenge to the players. The differences between the two racers make for interesting tactical decisions.

There was one other possible addition to the track cards that might be fun. That would be to put hash marks along the edge to match the distances on the cards, rather than just having them at the end of the cards. That would allow players to move their riders more precisely along the route. It might be too busy to have all of them, but even 5m marks would give the game a more boardgame feel. This might not work as well on the hill climb course with its twists and turns but marks on the circuit course would be pretty straightforward. Just a thought.

Good luck with the voting! You know you have at least one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djfrank wrote:
I did the hill climb this evening--30 min. up the hill and 20 min. back down.

I thought that Racer A was at a disadvantage, but guess who won! There was only an 11m gap at the finish. It was back and forth and both riders had to take turn by the side of the track to gain some stamina on the uphill ride.

I made a couple of stamina miscalculations on the downhill part of the course, but I don't believe they affected the result. I'd been using such low energy on the way up that I used that column on the way down for a couple of turns when they cranked up the energy use. Nothing you can do about that in the rules!

Its good to know track 2 doesn't take too much time.

I intentionally made that track to make racers to stop at the side of the track devil. It is really cool that the race was close again.

You don't know how many times i've done the same miscalculations in my playtests . I used to bring the racers back to where i thought i started miscalculating and start again.

Quote:
I did notice one other thing about the stamina cards. The font makes it look they are ST AMINA cards.

Its the main problem with one of my favorite fonts - "AR destine". I can actually fix that by closing up the gap on paint.net.

Quote:
The game really does provide a challenge to the players. The differences between the two racers make for interesting tactical decisions.

Thanks, i actually made those differences at the very end. glad it turned out great.

Quote:
There was one other possible addition to the track cards that might be fun. That would be to put hash marks along the edge to match the distances on the cards, rather than just having them at the end of the cards. That would allow players to move their riders more precisely along the route. It might be too busy to have all of them, but even 5m marks would give the game a more boardgame feel. This might not work as well on the hill climb course with its twists and turns but marks on the circuit course would be pretty straightforward. Just a thought.

I had actually thought of that once. But then i thought it would be too much for a player to check in a turn. As many times you go 5+ m but sometimes you don't and sometimes, like on high grade climbs, you take 2-3 turns to go 5+ m. It might probably be too much to do. Positioning of racer cards while both racers are on the same track card might also be a problem. But i agree that adds more feel to it. It might also save a lot of pen and paper calculating. hmmmm, i'll be giving this a thought too.

Quote:
Good luck with the voting! You know you have at least one.

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my thoughts/comments after messing around with the game. Unfortunately I had no friend to play with so I did some "solo" laps to familiarize myself with the system.

- I didn't check this thread before printing so I didn't realize that I had to print this thing double-sided. Maybe you could state it somewhere in the PDF, just in case people outside of BGG wants to print it.

- I only had a crappy store nearby to print the game so I had to print it B/W. It would be nice if you could put a darker outline to elements in energy cards. That way they will work better in B/W. The rest of cards print well enough.

- Although is obvious after checking the cards twice, you could add some arrow to indicate the direction of the cards (at first I though I had to race clockwise instead of counteclockwise).

- For Climb/Flat section attack I also had some doubts understanding it. You should state clearer how it works

- I've been checking the table for energy used/stamina lost-gained and it seems that it is mostly "linear". So maybe you could make a change in the rules that would allow you to get rid of these tables:

Each track card has a energy rating. If you spend less energy than that rating you get stamina; if you spend more, you lose stamina according to the difference. That way you eliminate the need for tables and you can expand the game without needing to make more of them.

Things I liked:

- Planning ahead with the gear so you don't go to a gear too high when on flat track, leaving you unable to react on a climbin track. It reminds me to Formula D.

- Abilities give tactical depth and provide ways of surprising your opponent.

- I enjoy the card for tracking stamina. I always like games with a bit of a toy in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.