Triston Attridge
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mb
As the title says, this contains blatant spoilers for scripts #1, #2

Spoiler (click to reveal)

I picked the game up last week, and gave it a try out. I read the rules a couple of times, and a few of the play-by-forum's here at the geek, so I was obviously the mastermind. I explained the rules to the other 2, and we were off.

Script #1:

I started the first day following the guides recommendation to reveal the serial killer. The guys quickly realised that the shrine maiden was the serial killer, as intended, and then the loop reset.

At this point I went off script, rather than follow the if then else diagram. I decided that the suicide would be easier to trigger than anything else, and quickly managed to get two paranoia on the student over the next couple of turns between my cards and the conspiracy theorist, the good guys play revolved around trying to ensure that the serial killer never ended up next to someone vital, which somehow ended up as everyone else seeming to flee the serial killer as she moved around. They also maxed out goodwill on the brain, which was then denied, which wasted a couple of turns. When the murder didn't happen, they guessed that the girl student was the suicide due to her rampant paranoia, but couldn't do anything about it, but they did manage tried to flush out the office workers role but he refused too.

The 2nd loop ended, and at this point the good guys weren't feeling that optimistic, they only new who the serial killer was, the suicide culprit and had an idea how of who the conspiracy theorist was out of 3.

Last loop, my attempts to use the serial killer or stack the paranoia limit of the girl student failed. I switched to intrigue to try and get the killer to trigger but my fatal flaw was not going straight for the plus two intrigue, I only went for one and they then responded by shutting me down with forbid intrigue. I tried to use the brain to diagonally move in to use his ability, but in a random attempt to simply kill off that character by sending him to the serial killer, they disrupted my move. On revealing my choice they correctly guessed both the brain, and the killer roles, and easily shutdown the rest of the loop.

In the post match discussion, they still insisted that it seemed unbalanced due to the fact they couldn't really work out what plot was in play, I disagreed, the fact that I hadn't attempted to target the school was a big hint. They also did actually know all the key players, they just couldn't match it to roles.

End Result: Mastermind Loss (but very close)

Script #2

We then immediately rolled on to the second mission. As the mastermind, I was optimistic - I fast tracked trying to trigger the hospital incident as I suspected they might underestimate how powerful it was. I added paranoia to the shrine maiden as directed, to trigger the unease, spreading paranoia to the boy student - but I then made a big mistake. I saw the cultist would prevent their forbid intrigue, so used a diagonal move to get him into the hospital, I also put a +2 on the hospital to lock in the hospital incident. However, I didn't realise until after I placed my cards, that his ability would resolve BEFORE he moved, in which case he couldn't prevent their forbid intrigue, which they did play. The second day, I managed to get 1 intrigue on, but they then correctly guessed who the cultist was (it wasn't particularly difficult). The incident triggered, killing the key person, and resetting the loop, but I had lost a lot of information.

I tried to switch to the alternate win conditions, specifically the faraway murder - the cultist reveal had highlighted both the school, and the cultists importance While putting on paranoia or intrigue around, the good guys got two goodwill on the doctor - without me really realising it this proved to be very important. As the doctor was in the same location as the patient, it then proved to be a very good way of countering my paranoia drive on the patient. I had one chance of rescuing the horrible day, when they accidentally put a forbid intrigue card rather than forbid movement on the cultist, but I wasn't expecting the mistake, so I had spent the movement card on trying to get the conspiracy theorist into the hospital instead. They managed to lock me down fairly quickly, as my options by that point were limited to the cards I could play, and I lost very quickly.

My first day was a huge mistake, and perhaps I should have actually switched away from the triggering the hospital incident rather than continue to go for it and reveal the cultist. Leading with bluffing both place to protect and threatening the hospital incident makes sense, as they can only counter one, and one wrong guess and I almost could have guaranteed a loop reset. I also think that I should either have protected who the unease culprit was, or not reveal them at all, as the ability is quite powerful but very easy for them to counter if they're aware of it...

End Result: Mastermind Loss (not close at all)

Final Thoughts:-

We definitely enjoyed the game, and will play again (perhaps by email/forum as we don't get to meet that often), but one interesting point for me is that as a mastermind I definitely learnt a lot by playing those scenarios, and would player better next time - but I can't with the same people.... It will be interesting to see if the learnings about the roles trickle over to the later scenarios, or is it all specific to each scenario? Time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use the 'o' tag around your spoilers for those new to the game.

Also, this designer note shows the effect of Movement, Forbid Intrigue and the Cultist to be different than you thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triston Attridge
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mb
Well,my initial judgement was the title was obvious enough that it contained spoilers - but I've added the spoiler tags none the less.

That ruling makes sense actually in hindsight.... hey ho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also note that this is necessary, because otherwise

Spoiler (click to reveal)
playing your +2 intrigue on the school on day 1 is an uncounterable loss for the protagonists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.