Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunfights, horses, trains, robbing banks, outlaws, lawmen, bounty hunters, cowboys, wilderness survival.

Basically looking for 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly' or Red Dead Redemption (video game) in a boardgame.

Ideally something still in print. No card games though please.

Games with the 'American West' theme I already have or interested in:

Colt Express - pre-order
Deadwood - own
Carson City - interested
Spurs - interested

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
Carson City has the theme, but not really the feel. There are some "gunfights," but the fights involve no action or cunning, mostly just firepower. The rest of the game is strategizing how to convert land, buildings, abilities, firepower, and die rolls into money, and then how to best convert everything into points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
... Basically looking for 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly' or Red Dead Redemption (video game) in a boardgame.

Spurs: A Tale in the Old West would be the best choice, imho. You can hunt varmints, rob banks, go prospecting for gold nuggets, get ambushed by outlaws, and even engage in PvP duels.

I enjoy the game quite a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just listened to The Long View podcast episode about Revolver 1 and 2 with the designers and seems to be what you are looking for.

Cheers

Btw, I haven't played them yet but after listening to this podcast both games made it to my wish/trade list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Cartwright
United States
California
flag msg tools
Fort Apache

Cavalry
Mexicans
Indians
Cowboys

battle it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is Gunslinger. It's weird and crufty and takes some practice to play smoothly. But it's got a great ambiance, and permits a surprisingly dramatic set of player actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Gunslinger. But, it's an old school wargame.

And Doomtown: Reloaded is the weird west, and is a ton of fun.

I also always enjoyed Way Out West despite some obvious flaws, but a good, Euro, Martin Wallace take on the Wild West.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a blog post earlier this year about all the Westerns coming out this year, especially "weird" westerns:
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/30376/year-weird-western

I like westerns and also backed a couple of Kickstarter westerns:

A Fistful of Dinero
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1149948327/a-fistful-of...

Gunman's Law: Wild West Shootout
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/gunmans-law-...

Haven't received them yet so can't comment or review yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Another vote for Gunslinger. But, it's an old school wargame.

For those who find Gunslinger too daunting, Cowboys: The Way of the Gun could be described as Gunslinger Lite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
My favourite is Gunslinger. It's weird and crufty and takes some practice to play smoothly. But it's got a great ambiance, and permits a surprisingly dramatic set of player actions.
Yep, a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want miniatures I recommend Once upon a Time in the West, but it's not a simple game.

Simpler and more fast flowing is The Rules With No Name, they lack the detail but a better for "club night" game when you only have a couple of hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Bang! The Dice Game, and its pretty thematic with the emphasis on the Sheriff, the Deputy, the Renegade whose on both sides, and the Outlaw enemies.

It plays fast and is a dice game kind of similar to King of Tokyo, only a LOT faster with hidden role too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Spurs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming if there are more.

At the moment I think I shall get a copy of Spurs if I can find one (is it all sold out?), although it looks a little clunky in places. And maybe add a couple of other games like Colt Express and Bang for that different aesthetic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.