Subject: ThatTeriGirl has the Tactical Cube 001 video up. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6YjzqjTZSE&feature=youtu.be

Data is SUPER strong. If he doesn't curtail Weyoun/Varel, nothing will.

9 skill queen with a double disable on opponent is something. I didn't think we'd see another 9 skill, but its nice to see that she's not must-use

Ship ability is dumb. Its potentially useful, but in a redshirt kinda way.

Talent is too expensive. 5 points for a 1 dice reroll is not my my idea of usable.

Maturation chamber is potentially strong but will likely never see play with the new restrictions on ship cost. It brings queen up to 12 points and isn't playable on the scout cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Data and the Queen are the only playable cards here, and the Queen as sideboard switch-in fodder.

It's annoying how strong Data is from the perspective of having to get a prize ship just to balance the meta, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
still no locutus of borg cry
i wonder if we will ever see him? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmperorZeruel wrote:
still no locutus of borg cry
i wonder if we will ever see him? soblue

The big cube should have him in it if you are willing to shell out $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this new Borg queen can get by Dispersion Field (by itself) or Koss (by itself) and disable one other thing. Would she work on Dispersion Field and Koss in some sort of simultaneous way? Other wise I'm not certain there is anything in this pack to be excited about because of the new rules.*

The ship ability seems unlikely to ever be used, ever. Maturation chamber plus the queen is 12 points and won't fit on anything other than a generic sphere as far as the main Borg ships are concerned. You could then take another sphere with basically nothing on it. I don't see that replacing 2 sphere, 2 tac drone, Borg missile, etc.

Data is an Action/Spend Drone token reusable Deanna Troi. Which means you'll need drone tokens (or a way not to need drone tokens) to make him work. You'll also need to be activating as late as possible so the captain can't reactivate that turn if you're trying to break a Weyoun combo for instance. That means you'll need a captain like the queen from this pack, or from the original Tac Cube. So 6+4=10 points to make him worthwhile. That works on the generic diamond or named/generic sphere, but ironically not on Tac Cube 001.

There are things that might have been interesting a few days ago, but now this "grand prize" pack seems pointless.

*EDIT: Putting this Queen on any ship for a Borg slot, instead of relying on Borg Alliance is maybe something positive for the new rules.

Also, does Borg faction Data really make sense??? Maybe for 0.68 seconds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.68 seconds in First Contact. Most of an episode in Descent!

I like their direction with the recent prize ships. There is stuff that's interesting to have for casual scenarios/missions, but very little that's a necessity. Data's about the best thing in here, but he's also largely countering something that's not possible at places that use the new suggestions. In general this prestrictions.eems to be really hurt by those restr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think Data is the star of this pack. Surprised to see him actually. Honestly did not expect that. Glad to see Locutus not in a prize-ship. I honestly expect him in the retail Cube.

I also like the Maturation Chamber as a nice way to instantly refill your tokens. Not too sure on the Queen. That sure is a lot in one go.

Everything else is just meh. I would have liked to have seen the ship itself, to see if the paint job differed.

Thanks, as always, Teri.

Now where is my Scimitar preview, WizKids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Data's wording for the scan token is a bit odd.
Action: Disable ability... Then place a [Scan] token beside your ship as a free action.

The wording of it has you performing 2 actions(disabling a captain and placing a scan), but doesn't prevent you from also performing a scan action (with action economy allowing it, of course), since you place the token, not perform a scan action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a Tactical Cube 001 build using the new restrictions:

46 Tactical Cube 001
04 Korok
02 Scavenged Parts
01 Hive Mind
01 Magnus Hansen

While you have shields you can use Hive Mind to regain drone tokens used by Korak.

Once you've lost shields you can discard Hive Mind and Scavenged Parts to prevent crits and Magnus to use Korak without paying the drone cost.

Plus if you leave scavenged parts till last you re-gain drone tokens when you discard the other upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
koku ryu wrote:
Action: Disable ability... Then place a [Scan] token beside your ship as a free action.

The wording of it has you performing 2 actions(disabling a captain and placing a scan), but doesn't prevent you from also performing a scan action (with action economy allowing it, of course), since you place the token, not perform a scan action

Nothing odd about that. There's some others that place scan tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
koku ryu wrote:

no, specifically the fact that by taking the [Data] action, you are performing 2 actions (one of them free)

Compare it to the wording of Four of Twelve, which has you place the scan token as part of the full action.

It doesn't alter the function of it either way (unless something in the future prevents you from taking free actions), it just bugs me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Data seems to have a solid synergy with Admiral Queen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koku ryu wrote:
aaron2310 wrote:
koku ryu wrote:

no, specifically the fact that by taking the [Data] action, you are performing 2 actions (one of them free)

Compare it to the wording of Four of Twelve, which has you place the scan token as part of the full action.

It doesn't alter the function of it either way (unless something in the future prevents you from taking free actions), it just bugs me

Nearly identical wording to the 'Romulan Pilot' crew card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
koku ryu wrote:
aaron2310 wrote:
koku ryu wrote:

Nearly identical wording to the 'Romulan Pilot' crew card?

That part of it is, yes, but it is weird to have an "ACTION:" that also contains a "free action" within it. I think that was his point, and I agree. As he says, doesn't really change its function (I guess unless you use something like Full Alert during the same turn), but it is strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been a few cards that do that, like Tritium Intermix.

edit: although it does make a bigger difference in that case, since evading is the free action-within-an-action, rather than placing an evade token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairly decent pack, I don't see this one selling for any crazy high eBay resale prices except that the packaging will be bigger.

The Borg Queen adding that Borg upgrade slot is pretty interesting and Data is very cool and decidedly evil from what I can tell if placed on a Scout Cube with a cheap tactical drone captain.

After seeing the Borg Interpexing Beacon upgrade, Data and the Borg Queen this is basically all from First Contact (Minus the Borg Maturation Chamber and regular "stock upgrades") I think this would've made more sense as a partially assimilated Enterprise E pack similar to Assimilation Prime.

Oh and Command Interface has a typo, it says "Discard" instead of "Disable".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the rationale behind making Command Interface so silly expensive for what it does; rerolling any die is a pretty big deal. It makes cards like Stex a whole lot more reliable, and means you can pretty much ignore Warp Core Breach with impunity. Really, the only problem is that Bio-Neural Circuitry already exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either that or the cost. As a 2 point discard it wouldn't be awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
I can understand the rationale behind making Command Interface so silly expensive for what it does; rerolling any die is a pretty big deal. It makes cards like Stex a whole lot more reliable, and means you can pretty much ignore Warp Core Breach with impunity. Really, the only problem is that Bio-Neural Circuitry already exists.

If I'm worried about rerolls, I'd take the Bio-Neural Circuitry instead. Or even Worf + Attack Pattern Delta(though i can't reroll those warp core breaches, but hey, isn't that what regenerate is for?)

The ONLY reason I'd take the Command Interface is if I was using fleet captain (to make it free) and was super worried about warp core breach or any other one die out of combat effect. But even then, I might consider Sisko instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:

Never thought of it that way. Would definitely be nice insurance against things like Warp Core Breach. I don't think it's worth 10 points cross faction, but might be handy for five points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Why is data showing up as a borg card? That makes no sense. He was never Borg and could not be assimilated. The .68 seconds was how long he considered cooperating, not how long he was a drone.

It would have made more sense to make Captain Kirk and McCoy as crew upgrades on the Kronos One since they actually aided the Klingons for a few minutes. Data did less than that.

Anyway, the prize is good since it doesn't come with any super cards and the tactical cube itself is inferior to the retail version, but it isn't just a worthless collection of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Why is data showing up as a borg card? That makes no sense. He was never Borg and could not be assimilated. The .68 seconds was how long he considered cooperating, not how long he was a drone.

It would have made more sense to make Captain Kirk and McCoy as crew upgrades on the Kronos One since they actually aided the Klingons for a few minutes. Data did less than that.

The Borg Queen thought he was working for her.

And it does fill the void that the Soong left by not including a Data crew, as he was actively aiding the Borg at that point.

Plus, its cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
And it does fill the void that the Soong left by not including a Data crew, as he was actively aiding the Borg at that point.

Plus, its cool.

But, if cross factioning is a planned thing, as many assert, then why not have him be a Federation card with a Borg pack - sure they'll pay +1 point for him, but it is more representative of what was happening.

Edit : This is not complaining - I am just curious as to the decision making process. Just like having the independent Khan and crew cards on the Miranda, or Kira on the Defiant. Why not have other faction cards come with a ship when appropriate - such as making this a Federation Data?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:

Anyway, the prize is good since it doesn't come with any super cards and the tactical cube itself is inferior to the retail version, but it isn't just a worthless collection of cards.

In fairness it makes more sense that Solok appearing as a captain for the Vulcan faction, at least this card represents a moment in canonical trek that actually happened. Solok really should've been captain of a retail t'kumbra or at the very least been dual fed/Vulcan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rest all seems strictly worse than the retail cube, but that Data is a motherfucker. He's got good synergy with Admiral Queen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.