Popular Tags: [View All]
Angel Gonzalez Nicieza
Spain
Gijón
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

In all our games (well, only three to say the truth) happened that Rome player was so weakened by Pyrrhus invasion of Italy that Rome was left without any hope of winning (and in a quite ahistorically situation).

I think that the problem is that it is too easy to invade Italia province and that it would be easily fixed with for example a free Roman garrison of 2 to 4 legions in that province that would reflect historical Roman endurance against invasions. To maintain balance of the game you could remove Roman Legionary Cavalry rule

Just a thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Angel,

I don't think Rome needs additional support. While it is true that if Greece concentrates against Rome early in the game, not just with Pyrrhus but even an early offensive, Rome can be crippled this is unlikely and poor play. First the response to Pyrrhus invading Italy by the Romans is not to engage him. He is a mercenary and his units will leave. Let Pyrrhus smash himself against Roman walls, although he is likely to burn Capua. Rome should probably do one activation for manpower and the other three to grab northern provinces.

Now if Greece brings in additional forces to attack Rome the Romans will be hard pressed but this is actually not in Greece's interest. Without Rome Carthage will run amok and likely win the game. I say this from experience! One game as Greece I hammered Rome early and then found myself doing a few things:

1. Allying with Rome
2. Giving Rome aid
3. Sending Greek armies to beat back Carthage in Sicily.

So, Greece crushing Rome early is bad play. Giving Rome more units will allow them to accelerate their rise to dominance. I'm not sure the game is imbalanced against Rome. I think the weakest power is probably East because of those Baghdad Booty Calls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax is balanced by players exercising enlightened self-interest. Can Greece cripple Rome early? Yep. Is that in the long-term interest of Greece? No. As Michael mentions, it means Carthage now has free rein over the Western Med. And there's a lot more space to grow out there (especially with Rome crippled) than there is for Greece to grow in the East.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Womer
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Dear Angel:

The experience of your group regarding Roman player victory finds excellent expression in Neil Randall's sixth question posted at #3768 on the Consimworld Forum site for Pax Romana. As the GMT developer of the game from 2006 to 2014, no one had more information about how a wide variety of groups actually played Scenarios V and VI than Neil. Accordingly, I consider that his question continues to be relevant and valid as well as consistent with your group's experience. If you can find an answer to Neil's question or if you can figure out what Neil might mean when he advises Roman players to engage in diplomacy, be sure to let me know.

That said, one Speed Racer has posted on this website his report of a Roman player victory. While the details of Speed's victory remain a bit obscure, the outline seems clear enough to support the argument that a Roman Player victory is possible.

I do happen to have some opinions about the prospects for Roman player victory. But given my limited understanding of game design and knowing nothing useful of the internal dynamics of your particular group of players, I must admit that my personal opinions could well prove to be inadequate, inappropriate, irrelevant, meaningless, or even misleading for your group. The way I see it, what actually happens in any given multiplayer Pax game depends almost exclusively upon the group of players because the underlying game design is more than capable of supporting an enormous range of behaviors by players and groups. The only real certainty that I entertain about any such game is that the Victory Point rules will produce an outcome in which one player wins and the others do not. The outstanding merit of Mr. Berg's game is that it reaches a conclusion within a very reasonable playing time. That is no mean accomplishment since Pax Romana has more in common with such monster games as ADG/AH's Empires in Arms than either Allan B. Calhamer's Diplomacy game or the various editions of Sid Meier's Civilization game.

So the best I can do here is to ask you a question and ask you to respond.
Assuming that a vacancy occurs in your group and presuming that you do not want the new player to quit in disgust after a couple of turns, what advice would you give the new player about playing Rome with your group of players?
Do feel free to be as specific as you wish.

I look forward to your response since it may form the basis for an interesting discussion.
Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.