Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sascha Bötzel
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello forum,
today pe played this new version of Qwixx, wihich we got as a promo in Essen. Alas we only have the sheets, without rules and so the following questions arose:
If you close a line (e.g. green):
a) do you put the green die aside,
b) can you still score green boxes on other lines and
c) can you still score other boxes on the green line

Puzzled

Sascha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fafnir wrote:
Hello forum,
today pe played this new version of Qwixx, wihich we got as a promo in Essen. Alas we only have the sheets, without rules and so the following questions arose:
If you close a line (e.g. green):
a) do you put the green die aside,
b) can you still score green boxes on other lines and
c) can you still score other boxes on the green line

Puzzled

Sascha

A. Yes - as with regular Qwixx, you close the green line with a AND remove the green die
B. Yes but only with the two white dice
C. No, as the line is closed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Bötzel
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,
we played it instinctively right, then.

Edit:
Btw, which boxes do you count for closing a line? Those of the line or those of the corresponding colour?

CU

Sascha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fafnir wrote:
Thanks,
we played it instinctively right, then.

Edit:
Btw, which boxes do you count for closing a line? Those of the line or those of the corresponding colour?

CU

Sascha
i had to think that through as well - you can only close when there are at least 5 "x"-es in a row, so we counted the "x"-es in the row that you close (so NOT e.g. all greens wherever they are).
Essentially closing a row - removing a die - counting the points are per the normal Qwixx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Bötzel
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
we thought about this a long time as well.
We closed a line, if there are at least 5 ticks in the same colour, as you are removeing the dice of that colour.

Anybody has the official rules?

CU

Sascha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H.
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a picture of the german rules in the gallery. I also provided an english translation in the comments.

Edit:
I also uploaded my english translation of the rules sheet as PDF file, so it easier to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the designer weighed in on this question?

In this thread the consensus was by color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q Serpent
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I got clarification from Gamewright.

1) One can lock a color only when one has 5 or more X's in that single color's boxes (so ignoring the physical rows)

2) When a color is locked, that color's die is removed and that color's boxes are no longer able to be marked (anywhere on the board). One can still mark differently-colored boxes in the same row as the lock icon itself (for example, if the red die is locked, green boxes in the red lock's row can be marked as long as the green die is not locked)

3) Scoring is by-color; one counts all red boxes (anywhere on the board) for the red score, and likewise for the other colors. The physical rows don't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's not what the original German rules say, so the publishers are not in alignment it seems.

The German rules say that you cross off the last box in a row "mit seinem mindestens 6. Kreuz in dieser Reihe"—with at minimum your 6th X in that row. This definitely contradicts your #1.

They also say: "In den anderen drei Reihen dürfen weiterhin (mit Hilfe der beiden weißen Würfel) rote Felder angekreuzt werden." That is, when you have eliminated the red tie, you may still X off red boxes in other rows as long as you do it with the white dice. This contradicts both parts of #2.

The German rules are silent on the point of how to score this variant, though, so it is unclear whether to score by color or by row. Your #3 may be correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q Serpent
United States
New York
flag msg tools
You may be right - I got a second email from Gamewright retracting the rules they sent me and offering up different rules:

1) Colors are locked by X's in the physical row, not by X's in boxes in other rows of the same color.

Since they only changed their stance on that first point, I extrapolated to the following additional changes, but I have not heard back from Gamewright yet on if they agree with me:

2) When a color is locked the physical row is locked (no boxes in the locked row may be marked, regardless of color); boxes in other rows of the locked color may still be marked (but of course since the colored die was removed, they must be marked using two white dice)

3) Scoring is by-color, not by-row (this is debatable for me, so I left it unchanged; I'll defer to Gamewright once I hear from them)

I'll see what Gamewright says about #2 and #3 given what they changed about #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q Serpent
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Ok, here's the latest from Gamewright.

1) Colors are locked by X's in the physical row, not by X's in boxes in other rows of the same color. The X's may be in boxes of any color as long as they are in the physical row being locked. [This is different from their original answer to my question].

2) When a row is locked, that row's color's die is removed and that color's boxes are no longer able to be marked anywhere on the board. One can still mark differently-colored boxes in the same row as the lock icon itself (for example, if the red die is locked, green boxes in the red lock's row can be marked as long as the green die is not locked). [This has not changed].

3) Scoring is by-color; one counts all red boxes (anywhere on the board) for the red score, and likewise for the other colors. The physical rows don't matter. [This has not changed].

I found it very strange that one could, for example, lock the red die with mostly non-red X's in the red-lock's row, which locks all red boxes on the board (and locks in the red score for everyone), and everyone is still allowed to mark non-red boxes everywhere (including the locked row). The locking trigger, what gets locked, and what gets scored seems quite separated to me... but Gamewright claims this is indeed correct according to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that Gamewright doesn't really have the answers, since one of their answers is in contradiction with the earlier post of the designer himself!

This is wat the designer posted earlier:
SB_Spiele wrote:
Yes, you can mark red spots with the result of the white dice.
But the (red)row is locked. Nobody can mark any spots in the row with the red lock.

Looking at the original German rules and how the official iOS app works (which has been tested by the designer!) I think these are the correct rules:

1) A color row is locked considering the number of X's in the physical row, not by the number of X's of that color in all rows. The X's may be in boxes of any color as long as they are in the physical row being locked.
<as per German rules and iOS app>

2) When a row is locked, that row's color's die is removed and that physical row is no longer available. You can still mark spots of that color in other unlocked rows by using the white dice.
<as per German rules, iOS app and post by designer>

3) Scoring is by-row; one counts all checked boxes in the physical row (just like Qwixx base game).
<as per iOS app and Qwixx base game rules>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vero
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We have only played this based on original German rules (wife is German and we first played it there with her family who had played it before. Also note we started with regular Quixx then went on to the Gemixxt variant later).

We play first two rules as NicoR describes:
NicoR wrote:
I think these are the correct rules:

1) A color row is locked considering the number of X's in the physical row, not by the number of X's of that color in all rows. The X's may be in boxes of any color as long as they are in the physical row being locked.

2) When a row is locked, that row's color's die is removed and that physical row is no longer available. You can still mark spots of that color in other unlocked rows by using the white dice.

But we play rule 3 (final scoring) by adding up Xs of the same colour, not by row, so we disagree on this one:

NicoR wrote:
3) Scoring is by-row; one counts all checked boxes in the physical row (just like Qwixx base game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.