Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Elder Sign Q.: Spending Trophies at the Entrance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hello everyone! I am hosting a gaming night in a couple days, and it will be most of our first times playing Elder Sign. I tried playing a game by myself to familiarize myself unusual situations that might come up. One thing I don't understand is exactly when a player is allowed to cash in their trophies at the museum entrance.

My original reading of the rules led me to believe a player could only do this if they 1) declared during their move phase that they would spend their entire turn on the entrance, and 2) Use their resolution phase to spend trophies.

Now that I've played the game a bit by myself, this seems very difficult. Perhaps you are actually allowed to do this transaction at any time you are on the entrance? For example, completing an adventure and being sent back to the entrance might allow you to spend trophies during the same turn?

Could any one shed some light on this for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing any of the entrance actions uses your whole turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Dang! That's brutal!

Thank you for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is another thing the Unseen Forces expansion changes to help the investigators. Sure, it removes the Elder Sign buy option, but you can now buy 2 items per visit, yet another speed ramp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
That is another thing the Unseen Forces expansion changes to help the investigators. Sure, it removes the Elder Sign buy option, but you can now buy 2 items per visit, yet another speed ramp.

Thanks for pointing that out about buying two items. I never read the entrance cards closely enough to realize that. It's not mentioned on the rules sheet. I also see that you can roll three times in the lost and found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy of Omens of Ice and this one states that you purchase during you clock phase. The exact text on the Investigator Turn Order card is as follows:

"3. Clock Phase
a. If on the Expedition Camp, you man spend trophies for various effects.
b. Advance the clock 3 hours and end your turn.
c. If the clock struck midnight during your turn, resolve all At Midnight effecs."

So that is interesting that they let you spend after your turn is over. The rule booklet also states that if you complete an Another World or Arctic Adventure, you are then moved back to the Expedition Camp and proceed to Clock Phase. Meaning you can complete an Adventure, move to the Camp and spend trophies BEFORE you have to move the clock. Very interesting. I know this is an old post but thought it would be a good spot for this info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. It was done to increase the coop feeling of the game (you can spend trophies to have any one investigator gaining the benefits); also, considering there's a time track ticking with storm effects increasingly worsening, in this way you can gain resources without "losing" precious time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.