Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the new scoring benefits introduced in Age IV, there are the following benefits on the relevant cards:

Television (Culture technology) - 1VP for every 5 Culture technologies in your player area

Combustion (Science technology) - 1VP for every 5 Engineering technologies in your player area

Assembly Line (Engineering technology) 1VP for every 5 Science technologies in your player area

The Combustion and Assembly Line benefits are the other way round on the tech tree, which appears to make more sense. So I think it's a misprint on the cards - can anyone confirm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fitzyfitz wrote:
With the new scoring benefits introduced in Age IV, there are the following benefits on the relevant cards:

Television (Culture technology) - 1VP for every 5 Culture technologies in your player area

Combustion (Science technology) - 1VP for every 5 Engineering technologies in your player area

Assembly Line (Engineering technology) 1VP for every 5 Science technologies in your player area

The Combustion and Assembly Line benefits are the other way round on the tech tree, which appears to make more sense. So I think it's a misprint on the cards - can anyone confirm?

I was wondering the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Paul, very good catch... there's a misprint, but it's in the rules - actually on the player aids - not on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, it's good to have an official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anovac wrote:
Paul, very good catch... there's a misprint, but it's in the rules - actually on the player aids - not on the cards.

so the cards are correct then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
anovac wrote:

so the cards are correct then?

yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max van den Helder
Netherlands
Woerdense Verlaat
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did encounter the same issue when playing with age IV for the first time last weekend, so I was looking through the forums whether there has been written something about this issue.

If I understand you correctly; the misprint is on the player aid? This means that the card in the culture tree gives points for culture cards, but the others are mixed up. This sounds rather counter intuitive for me, since then it could have been done in the following way: Card in tree A scores for B, card in tree B scores for C and card in tree C scores for A. So may I ask what the reason is behind this choice?

By the way: Progress is currently my number 1 favorite boardgame and I am really looking forward to the promised expansions !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei's ruling was that the cards are correct and the player aid is wrong.

I agree this sounds counterintuitive (hence the wording in my original question). When scoring at the end of the game, everyone will be referencing the cards, not the player aid - so I guess the decision was taken to keep the card printing as the correct version based on this. If you'd rather do it the other way, you can just house rule it - just make sure all players are aware of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mb

We encountered this problem and made the, in our opinion, logical ruling that the cards were incorrect and the tech tree correct. This meant that there was not an imbalance between the three technology types otherwise "Television" and the Culture technology group appear to be more valuable.

I appreciate that Andrei has ruled the other way but given that it is counter-intuitive to us I would appreciate an explanation, please Andrei.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlieWilson wrote:

We encountered this problem and made the, in our opinion, logical ruling that the cards were incorrect and the tech tree correct. This meant that there was not an imbalance between the three technology types otherwise "Television" and the Culture technology group appear to be more valuable.

I appreciate that Andrei has ruled the other way but given that it is counter-intuitive to us I would appreciate an explanation, please Andrei.

Thank you
Going to guess here that its the standard "If the cards contradict the rules, the cards take precedence" ruling for most card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Andrei,

Any chance of a new set of these cards to play the way the chart shows it when the expansion arrives - whenever that might be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
The mistake is in the rules not on the card. It was not just the simplest solution, but the way the game was designed and meant to be played, with an Engineering tech giving benefits for Science technologies and the other way around. This encourages a more balanced strategy. The case with culture is different because culture alone was designer an overall weaker branch of the tech tree, thus the "self scoring".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max van den Helder
Netherlands
Woerdense Verlaat
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all responses!

anovac wrote:
The mistake is in the rules not on the card. It was not just the simplest solution, but the way the game was designed and meant to be played, with an Engineering tech giving benefits for Science technologies and the other way around. This encourages a more balanced strategy. The case with culture is different because culture alone was designer an overall weaker branch of the tech tree, thus the "self scoring".

Thanks for the clarification in terms of the reason behind this choice !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.