10 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Going the distance: job travel in the 'Verse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ever wondered how far you have to travel for a job? I've been working out some numbers, and while it may not be perfect (it's always possible that I mapped out some routes incorrectly), I've got a starting point.

Here, we're looking at delivery jobs (Shipping, Smuggling, and Transport), and the distance from Point A to Point B.

Overall notes: There are currently 134 delivery jobs (inclusive up to Blue Sun), with routes ranging anywhere from 1 to 13 Sectors.

1 Sector: One single Job - a low-paying Harken Shipping Job. Surprise, surprise.

2 Sectors: 2 jobs. More of the same.

3 Sectors: 6 Jobs, for of which are for Harken. Here, we see the first Illegal Jobs (one each for Niska and Patience). These are both pretty high-paying, and also the first delivery jobs not exclusively in Alliance Space.

4 Sectors: 8 Jobs. Similar mix to above, although we see a few Harken jobs that start in Alliance Space and end in Border Space. Interesting to note that this is the max for the Walden in a single turn (without some sort of boost, anyway) - 17 Jobs total, 13 of them for Harken.

5 Sectors: Here's where things start to break open. 19 jobs, with all six contacts represented.

6 Sectors: 30 Jobs, across all six contacts (although Patience and Badger are barely represented).

7 Sectors: 18 Jobs, and now we've hit the first jobs that will require a second Fly action for everybody.

8 Sectors: 14, half for Amnon Duul.

9 Sectors: 11, 5 for Amnon Duul.

10 Sectors: 13, 6 for Lord Harrow.

11 Sectors: 7, most for Lord Harrow and Patience.

12 Sectors: 4 Jobs.

13 Sectors: 1 Job, the longest in the game - Shinies for Mudville - a Smuggliong Job for Lord Harrow.

Average Job Distance: just under 7 Sectors.

Amnon Duul: 34 Jobs, average distance of 7.47 Sectors. 12 Start at the Space Bazaar.

Badger: 16 Delivery Jobs, average distance = 6.69 Sectors. 6 Start on Persephone.

Harken: 28 Delivery Jobs, average distance = 4.68. 12 of these Jobs start at Londinium, another 4 at Sinhon. All others start within Alliance Space.

Lord Harrow: 25 Jobs, average of 8.4 Sectors.

Niska: 13 Jobs, average of 6.92 Sectors.

Patience: 30 Jobs, average of 7.9 Sectors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Thanks for the useful data, updated for the Expansions. So much of the strategy in this game is situational, but good background can be helpful as well, even so.

My favorite trick, when I can manage it, is to set up with two jobs that have the same destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that it's very situational and this is only one small part of the picture. I've been curious about the numbers for a while, so I put some stuf together.

I've updated my master spreadsheet with everything from Blue Sun - I should really post that soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This more or less matches what I' was trying to figure out. I was doing a planet-to-planet survey of the board determining the shortest possible path from point to point and 12-14 squares was the longest journey I had plotted (without Blue Sun).

Most trips could be handled in one full burn for the average Firefly. 2 full burns would get you to just about anywhere, and 3 full burns were only required for the most remote travel.

After that only the whims of the Nav deck were to blame for failing to reach any destination. With a Pilot and Mechanic, Cry Baby and Upgraded Engine (to avoid breakdowns) you could be a terror in transport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't promise that I found all the best routes, but I think I did pretty good, and I did try a couple different options when it seemed like there might be better options (a surprising number of long-distance runs skirt the central parts of Alliance Space - which I'm sure is intentional).

If I'm doing the math right, the average Firefly will take at least 2 full burns for most delivery jobs:

- 17 of 134 are 4 Sectors or less (13%)
- 36 are 5 Sectors or less (27%)
- 66 are 6 Sectors or less (49%)

So even the Artful Dodger is at less than half (and that assumes no full stop).

Ugh. Guess I'll just do Crime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1 Sector: One single Job

This makes me wonder if you are counting the distance to start the job as well. Some of the jobs you pick up for Patience require travel to Red Sun to start the job and then you have to go back into her space for the final delivery. It seems like these would take more than 12 sectors you claim to be here longest job. (To be fair, I don't actually have a job deck in front of my to verify this.) In any case, the point is that when I'm considering jobs, travel time TO the start location is just as important as the final location. (I realize this creates a special problem for Harken, but who wins the game on Harken jobs anyway?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wonder no more:

"Here, we're looking at delivery jobs (Shipping, Smuggling, and Transport), and the distance from Point A to Point B."

I get what you're saying about distance from the Contact, and I considered trying to factor that in, but that's where it just gets too situational (as Jon points out).

Even the route between Point A and Point B is not a set number (there are many, many reasons why someone would chose to go the long way around), but at least the minimum number of Sectors is a set value.

Moving from the contact to the starting point is a huge variable, impacted by things like other jobs in the area, whether you need to hit a nearby supply planet, etc.

I'm just giving you the numbers. What you do with 'em is up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there are at least 4 ways of figuring "best" routes for a given start/finish:

A) Fewest sectors
B) Fewest empty sectors - so when you get Full Stopped you can at least Make Work
C) Fewest Alliance/Border/Rim sectors - minimising the risk of unwanted encounters
D) Fewest turns if you always stop at a planetary sector - if you're sufficiently well-equipped that you'll always be able to make your Full Burn range if you choose, planning where to break your journey can be reasonable.

And various points of interest on a near-optimal route may tempt you into going off track to do something else while you're in the neighbourhood.

Distance from Contact to Start location may have some value - it's the difference between taking a Job and starting it (almost) immediately, and taking a Job to start later when/if you're in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did my chart based on "fastest route" (meaning fewest sectors). I had a hard time figuring out if I needed to make a notation to include the Alliance Space sectors separately. Ultimately I skipped a more detailed notation in favor of an asterix if the shortest route was through Alliance space.

But even knowing WHAT the shortest route was I might still go off track if the trip was 6 sectors, my max range was 5 and I could stop halfway at a supply world (like Osirus) and shop for a round and still make it in a single burn to my intended destination, rather than sit in an empty sector and do nothing.

"Best" was too subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

Moving from the contact to the starting point is a huge variable, impacted by things like other jobs in the area, whether you need to hit a nearby supply planet, etc.

I'm just giving you the numbers. What you do with 'em is up to you.

As a suggestion, I'd say keep the "minimum distance" calculation. What's the shortest distance from Contact -> Point A -> Point B. (Obviously people will double-up and so on, but that's strategy not math )

Harken then is the odd-one, since he could be anywhere. Personally, I'd measure from Londinium for comparisons (which would at least be accurate for turn 1)

Very handy numbers, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.