richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello all,

I would like to report a wonderful anecdote from the Essen game fair.

It was Sunday, the last day of the fair. Many hours of explanation were behind us, we were all a bit exhausted. I was standing at the table where I explained the game while standing, and suddenly there was a banana on that very small table.

I thought, well, it is the lunch of my team-member, but I had no idea where to put the banana.

It took several hours until I found the momemt to ask my team-member "Is that your banana?" -- She said "no", and it wasn't the banana of Bernd from Irongames (with whom I shared the booth), either.

The suddenly we all understood! It must have been a very kind customer who put the banana on the table. For those who don't know it: The banana is one of the symbols for the coming down of the wall (East Germans had not often the chance to eat an banana).

Thank you very much, dear Mr or Mrs or Miss Banana-giver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yigit Yurt
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple, deep, cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Pierobon
Germany
Bad Tölz
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovely story...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. E
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I love Games with ~~~ THEME ~~~~
badge
I don't have hobbies I have *p@ssions*
mbmbmbmbmb

The text reads: Gaby (17) from the zone, very happy (at the FGR): "My first banana!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hesy
Germany
Bad Iburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
you could also use bananas as a compass.
put it on the wall, wait 5 minutes.
the bitemark always points to the east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WRS WRS
Poland
Ropczyce
Podkarpacie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsivel wrote:
For those who don't know it: The banana is one of the symbols for the coming down of the wall (East Germans had not often the chance to eat an banana).

I remember those times...
I felt free in Poland, when I could buy banana - just like that! - and ate it all. Without thinking about cutting it in slice and gave a small portions to my siblings...

So I know what you felt...

It's funny now, but not in those times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BadPritt wrote:

The text reads: Gaby (17) from the zone, very happy (at the FGR): "My first banana!"

Is that a peeled cucumber instead of a banana in the photo?! What's up with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
BadPritt wrote:

Is that a peeled cucumber instead of a banana in the photo?! What's up with that?

Titanic is a satirical newspaper, like the Onion. The implication is that East Germans cant recognize a banana....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sort of confused.

For it was the East Germans who had not often the chance to eat a banana, then why was Gaby from BRD (West Germany) instead of DDR (East Germany)?

If Gaby was from West Germany, he would not have his first banana that late (at age 17). He should have had that years before. Also, he should be able to recognize the difference between a cucumber and a banana.

Was the word "BRD" solely sarcasm? Though it was printed "BRD", everybody did manage to understand that was actually meaning "DDR" instead?

Thanks Richard for the story of banana and East Germany. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
She ate a "banana" in the BRD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten G.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official abbreviations were:
"DDR" (Deutsche Demokratische Republik - in English: German Democratic Republic (GDR)) for Eastern Germany

"BRD" (Bundesrepublik Deutschland - in English: Federal Republic of Germany (FRG)) for Western Germany.

Both abbreviations were used for many years in a kind of devaluating way from both sides, since both sides claimed to be the "real Germany". For example, in Western Germany politicians usually talked about `the so-called "DDR" ` for many years. This changed slowly during the 70s, after both Germanies were officially ackknowledged as sovereign states in 1973 by the UN.

The "Zone" is also a very devaluationg phrase for the East (which refers to the Soviet occupied zone).

Another subnote lies in the phrase "Gaby im Glück", which clearly refers to the fairytale "Hans im Glück" (Hans in luck). She gained her freedom, and she swapped it for a banana ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.