Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Dork
United States
Silver Spring
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this for the third time last night and I really like it. Never had issues with the rules and seems pretty simple but I will say that it takes a LONG time to play. Is that just me? I hear 2 hours for an act but it has always taken me between 4-5 hours for 1 act from the base story.

Yesterday we got to the last tile and it was 4 1/2 hours. We didn't do the biggest hunting party but we did have 2 lairs (one because a penalty). We barely got hurt until the end so we weren't being owned. A mini-boss and tons of captains ever appear that were no problem. It was more of it took a lot of time to do stuff. The longest game lull was me trying to find a chained Quest card that I think was made. We did have the Trickster class in (which is an awful class which almost does nothing the entire game) but that was only one person not fighting as much.

tl;dr how long are your Act play sessions for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
About 4 hours sounds right for a whole act (3 chapters, average). At least, in the beginning when you are still learning the game.

It also matters how many are playing, and their experience with their characters and decks. I spend a lot of time explaining why a certain card should be played, instead of actually playing.

It's telling to watch the designers videos, because they total about 2-3 hours as well, and these are the guys who know the game best. So it's feasible that you would get to 2 hours per act, but only after many play-throughs or committed understanding of the character classes and enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
we played the first story quest in the book, it took us about 3 hours for the first act and about 1.5 for the second and we have not played the third yet.

Seems to be fairly variable on how lucky you are and how efficient you are.

We also house ruled that once we clear a tile we just refresh our hands do any book keeping then jump to the next tile (walking from tile to tile with nothing on it was a big waste of time)

also played another act that took us about 4 hours as we had 2 lairs and couldn't kill them fast enough.

2 hours seems to be average for an act if things go right AND you aren't having too many rules issues. If you play at a casual pace with drinking and chatting and role playing (ya ... every game is a role playing game ) it greatly increases the time for an act, probably closer to 4 hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes us about 2 hours. On one occasion we did skip a tile in the middle of the Act as we could tell we were running short on time. Other than that though we've finished every Act in the first two Story Quests around 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmbmb
After several games played, I started to use an estimate of about 45 minutes to clear a standard tile, double for a Slaughterfield tile. It's worked pretty well so far.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really does fluctuate based on play style and the number of players. I've found that two player games with my son are very fast,... We are comfortable with the hero cards, and how they interact, and there is just the two of us to debate over what to do,....

A 4-5 player game is a whole different animal,.... Especially if any of the players are new to the game,... Or even the character that they are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlmostMeek wrote:
we played the first story quest in the book, it took us about 3 hours for the first act and about 1.5 for the second and we have not played the third yet.

This is exactly how long it took us for my group, which is 5 players. The first tile in that Story took a while b/c it was everyone's first time playing and we were figuring things out. Then the Slaughterfield act went really fast b/c it doesn't scale to the # of heroes and we just overwhelmed the mobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I've found that even with experienced players, game time can vary wildly. That's because generally the more difficult the tile the longer it takes usually.

One 12x12 might have a lair only to be one-shotted by the Archer in the first HC. Another might have a chapter or story quest that puts Yardu on the board, who summons a skelly captain followed by a deadly spawn which spawns 2 more (This did actually happen to me). That 1st tile will be done in a half hour, the 2nd in like 1.5 hrs (Unless you die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
flag msg tools
Go Leafs Go
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found about 3 hours per act, really depending on what happens in the tiles. But definitely less downtime than you seem to be having. Most of our times is making decisions or rolling dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.