10 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Do I need two starters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Collie
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pretty much as it says on the tin, I bought two to fill out the gaps in AvX and wonder if the structure of the starters is the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Real Qwade
msg tools
They're the same. It's not totally necessary to have 2, but it might be nice because it gives you 4 copies of each of the starter character's dice. Outside of that, the only way to get more is by finding them in booster packs, and they only come in uncommon varieties. I bought a starter set and a gravity feed (plus about 20 additional packs) of AvX and I still only have the 2 Flaming Torches I got in the starter (and only 3 of Storm, Spider-Man, Hulk, Beast, and Thor).

The Sidekick dice and Basic Action dice will be duplicates. Honestly, if you can find an AvX starter, it would still be nice to have because the Basic Action dice it comes with are different colors than the Uncanny ones (to support up to 4 players now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it depends on whether or not you are the player supplying everything for 2 players and if you want the extra dice for the starter set characters. If the answer to both is yes then definitely buy 2. If the answer to both is no then only get one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be buying two because I want to be able to max out the dice on any character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Four is the magic number in this set. Most of the cards have a dice max of 4. Some are lower, but there are none higher, unlike the AvX set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe "What I'm Playing Now" Leuzzi
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
www.whatimplayingnow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this one comes down to how many gravity feeds you plan on opening. I pre-ordered two gravity feeds and two starters. I didn't even think to take into account the extra 60 boosters you will get with the two gravity feeds over AvX in regards to this. Between one starter and the two gravity feeds I think I have more than enough dice and I'm not sure I will be opening the second starter any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I will be buying two because I want to be able to max out the dice on any character.

Correction:

Having now received, and opened, one Starter and one Gravity Feed, I'm now in two minds about whether to buy a 2nd Starter or not.

I have 4+ dice for all but 3 characters, and only 2 of them are Starter characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 2 starters and 1 Gravity Feed

We got more than max dice for everyone, and I had 2 extras of many of the starting characters.

Seems less important than it did for AvX, where until I got 2 starters we were short for all of the starting characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
One reason I got a second starter is so my opponent and I (sharing from my collection) each have a full set of basic action cards to choose from while building.

Remember, a starter is only $15, and several dollars cheaper online, so there shouldn't be too much hand-wringing about it. Do or do not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.