Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a light to medium pick up and deliver which is FUN, good scalability and can be played in an hour or so. Which would you choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either game yet (own Black Fleet which I will hopefully play soon), but Kinds of Air and Steam has a much wider player count. Black fleet is likely the more family friendly one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Kings of Air and Steam. It scales very well, IMO, and is just plain fun.

Most other pick up and deliver games are also train based, but there are some fun options:

I really like Steam. Like KoAaS, it has both a base game and a 'normal' game that really changes the flavor quite a bit. And you don't have to buy and expansion for either one.

Xia: Legends of a Drift System just came out, and it is a space based sandbox type game with pick up and deliver as one of the very viable options.

Merchants and Marauders - again, you can choose to be more of a pirate, but doing a strictly merchant route works well (I've won only doing the merchant thing, but never just trying piracy).

You could look into the 'crayon rail' type games. They are fun, but they do tend to run closer to the 4-5 hour time frame.

The only one of these that plays in a reasonably short time, though is KoAaS. (Typically around 90 mins for a 5 player game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your criteria xia and merchants and marauders are poor choices. Too long and heavy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Kings of Air and Steam, but I am also interested in Black Fleet since it seems like it has quite a few cards that give you special actions and bend/break the rules.

I get the feeling that Black Fleet is a bit more of a "mean game" since there is a good bit of sinking each others ships, but KoAaS can also be quite cutthroat depending on the player count/map size.

All that said, I would pick Kings of Air and Steam since it is possible to play with 2-7 players instead of just 3-4 (though I hear that Black Fleet has a good 2 player variant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.