France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing just one time, I got to thinking...expansions

Do you feel that there could be any expansions? Something to add to the game. New objectives. Other rules. A variant.

Me, I see this as a complete package. Nothing to add to it to make it better. Apart from a 3D car boot and maybe a bigger crowd stand (as sometime you forget it's there.)

The one thing that I fear is that they just reskin this as Essen 2014. New cards, new tiles and maybe new board. We don't need games falling into that Monopoly/Trivial Pursuit hole.

It's a nice game, but will I be replacing it with a 2nd Edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espreman Etienne
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi Barry,

Thank you for your positive comment.

And your question is a good question ! We are wondering the same question too.

Of course, we wouldn't like to make the "same" game just with new tiles. We have other ideas to make it different: for example, the second-hand market, event cards, characters with "special" power (the guy who goes faster than the others, the addict to "meeple games", the guy who begins with 100euros more,...)
But we have to check it of course. It could ask us a lot of time (and we have other ideas for other games too... but not a lot of time !).

I even have an idea to change the mecanics and make a "deck building" (of course, always with the "Messe board and its booths").

But, finally, the goal is still the same : to buy the most popular games (wel, that's it, Essen ! )

So, today, we don't know yet if we gonna make an other one.

I would like to start a debate : "Is it worth to make an "Essen The Game - Spiel 2014" ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Etienne,

For me personally, a spiel '14 expansion of this game that includes implementations of your example features above would be welcome.
This would keep the game alive and add replayability incentive.

(Because you know some of us suffer from a compelling wish to buy and play too many new games and this goes against our desire to replay the games we already own choices! so little time, so many games! )

Even another, completely new game using the same "theme" would probably be on my next wishlist.

However, I also enjoyed the "BXL 1893" a lot and would like you to spare some time to develop new things also, maybe I'm even more interested in that than expansions or a rehaul of an existing game. (If I may be so bold to ask these kind of things from you and your team)

just my 5 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
espretie wrote:

I even have an idea to change the mecanics and make a "deck building" (of course, always with the "Messe board and its booths").

A deck builder sound interesting. Already, I'm thinking that you could clog other players decks with crowd cards, making it harder for them to get around.
As long as it's not "Essen-the dice game" (yahtzee clone) I'd be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espreman Etienne
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
badgerthebrave wrote:
espretie wrote:

As long as it's not "Essen-the dice game" (yahtzee clone) I'd be happy.

Don't worry about that !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
espretie wrote:

I would like to start a debate : "Is it worth to make an "Essen The Game - Spiel 2014" ?

You could do an add on/expansion, but it would have to add something unique to the game. So not just tiles and cards of 2014 games but a new element (new mechanism or new events that happen each round.) Couple that with a 3D car boot and it would be something I believe other people will buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind an annual expansion for the current crop of each year's games. Even without additional mechanics.

Great 'wishlist'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.