Pick Picknic» Forums » Reviews

Subject: 1HW Pick Picknic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zippy grey wedge owner
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
The One Hit Wonder quickie game review [0002]

Premise: This is for BGG'ers who already read other lengthy, detailed reviews and want a benchmarked comparison and categorization. I myself had read the other reviews here and viewed the photos. Have you ever read a glowing review of a game but is puzzled what the big deal is after trying it? Perhaps the reviewer likes games you don't, have a different benchmark and different complexity preference. My review is based on [usually] just one play to see if I like it, and more importantly if I'd like to add it to my collection. Rules are explained to me by owner. The other players tend to be newbies, except for the owner.
Category: Takes into account rules complexity, level of strategic thinking and length of time required to play. Only 5 categories: Light, Light-Medium, Medium, Medium-Heavy, Heavy.
Benchmark: I really like Puerto Rico [M], Twilight Imperium 3rd ed [H], Railroad Tycoon [M], Age of Steam [M-H], Power Grid [M]. I don't like Settlers of Catan [L-M] due to the randomness. And I'm not a big fan of card flopping.

First impression, nice quality components, artwork and wooden cubes! Since discovering the civilised pasttime of playing euro/designer boardgames, I've come to love wooden cubes and a lot of games that has them. When I brought my significant other to a boardgame cafe to convert her to my hobby, or at least give her some insight into what I'm "obsessed" about, she remarked that this game is "cute". "Cute" vote from a non-gamer female - a HUGE plus point. The artwork and colours are certainly very appealing. The entire game fits inside a small box, and set-up is quick. This is as far as you get from the set-up of Twilight Imperium 3rd ed. - you can finish a game of Pick Picknic while setting up TI3!

The rules are simple - another plus point. Here I hesitate to repeat what other reviewers had already written [see 1st sentence of Premise] given the simplicity of the game. There is no serious confrontation in the game - another plus points if you're playing with kids. A duel between ducks/pheasants/other fowl only comes about if players play cards on the same yard and decide not to "haggle", so it is possible to tell them to work things out. But the option to duel is there and players simply throw dice and add the result to the number on their card that was played. A game that encourages interaction, albeit at a simpler level, gets another plus point in my books.

Winning condition is also simple: players are simply trying to acquire the most points by getting the cubes [comes in 3 colours worth 1,2 or 3 points] and to a lesser extent numbered fowl cards. The latter comes about by playing fox cards where you think other players will be placing fowl cards - usually where there's a build-up of "corn" i.e. the cubes, uncollected from previous rounds. Pick Picknic has a high fun factor, and I highly recommend this game to play with kids and non-gamer females, and as a fun time filler. Category: Light. Conclusion: definitely worth adding to collection.

Note: review originally written in August 2006. I have since added this game to my collection, and my kids love it.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.