Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing plenty of fantasy but interested in what's out there with guns, aliens, robots, etc.

So far I've seen these as community favorites, any others worth checking out?

Doom: The Boardgame
Gears of War: The Board Game
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Space Hulk (third edition)

I only own Martians!!! so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
galaxy defenders
Forlorn: hope
Level 7
Xia: Legends of a drift system
Aliens vs. predator
Deadzone
Warfighternot Sci-Fi but might scratch that itch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmb
Incursion
Space Crusade
Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel
Level 7 [Omega Protocol]
Galaxy Defenders
Legions of Steel
Lost Patrol
Ultra Marines
Advanced Space Crusade
Forlorn: Hope
Aliens
Hybrid
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmb
Earth Reborn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden Intruder
Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones that I either own or have played, and in either case would recommend, are:

Space Hulk (third edition) (or the current 4th edition, which I also just got, which has a couple of added bits)
Legions of Steel
Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel

Of these three, I think that Legions of Steel was probably the best, at least in terms of play balance. However, it may also be the hardest to acquire these days. Your best bet today is probably Space Hulk 4th Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Galaxy Defenders. Playing right now! It's such a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with
Level 7 omega protocol
Space Hulk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Blue
United States
flag msg tools
This will be available within the next few weeks and has gotten good reviews so far. If you liked the Descent system and want sci-fi, you'll probably love it:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is meant to be a good sci fi themed dungeon crawler, and one of Zee Garcia's favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that one is totally fantasy themed...

What exactly do you consider a dungeon crawl? I, personally, consider it to be a game focused more on loot and levelling.

Space Hulk and its ilk are just tactical games set in a maze.

Galaxy Defenders is not in a maze, but does do levelling and loot.

Doom is pretty solid. It's expensive, of course, and it had minimal looting/levelling, but it's fun.

Haven't played Level 7: Omega Protocol yet, but it seems to fit somewhere along the same lines of Gears of War, which is the tactical game with expanded options.

Space Hulk is incredibly dated. It's fun, but there are optional routes and defensive locations. After you figure those out, it's all just a dice game. They really need to bring back the 1st edition points system to allow massive replay value.

On that note, if you pick up the first edition in its entirety, campaign book included, you'll have basically unlimited gameplay, if simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
Man, that one is totally fantasy themed...

What exactly do you consider a dungeon crawl? I, personally, consider it to be a game focused more on loot and levelling.

A quote from the box synopsis:

'Claustrophobia is a miniatures-based dungeon crawl game set within the universe of Hell Dorado.'

The terms fantasy and sci fi are often interchangeable. I would personally be inclined to class it under the Science Fantasy sub-genre. Then again, why pigeon-hole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Linnell
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:
[q="eypyeash"]

The terms fantasy and sci fi are often interchangeable.

Except they're not. They mean entirely different things and it just sounds like you're trying to be Mr. Clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JezUK wrote:
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:
[q="eypyeash"]

The terms fantasy and sci fi are often interchangeable.

Except they're not. They mean entirely different things and it just sounds like you're trying to be Mr. Clever.

That was quite immature and uncalled for.

I'll elaborate a little, as I feel my original pithy comment is in danger of being misconstrued.

I both read, and write a lot of Sci Fi and Fantasy books, and I often come across books and other mediums that merge the two - take for instance Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series, or the Final Fantasy video games that incorporate Science Fiction elements wrapped in Fantasy aesthetics.

When I look at the artwork of a game like Claustrophobia I see elements of both Science Fiction and Fantasy; from the Geiger-esque aliens/demons, to the Warhammer 40k-like battle armour the protagonist on the front cover is wearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:

Not really a dungeon crawler.

More like a skirmish game with objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I don't see either of those... in HellDorado, the highest level of technology is somewhere around the mid-1800s. The big armor plates are a super soldier thing, but as everything is set Hell, it's magic based. The demons look pretty standard D&D style to me. Not even the Planescape monsters.

Though it's really just a matter of opinion. Timeframe doesn't necessarily mean anything, as steampunk is a sub genre of sci-fi. But personally, I consider the break point the technology. If it's (primarily) powered by magic, it's a fantasy universe. If it's more actual gears and lenses than magic, and that technology is equal to or greater than our current level and that tech is widespread, it's sci-fi. As a

Final Fantasy as a series jumped back and forth, but was rooted in fantasy. It was supposed to be a series of one-off stories, like a compilation of short stories. Even Final Fantasy 6 was fantasy, as everything required magic except Edgar's crazy gadgets. The stories weren't really connected until later.

Final Fantasy 7 went sci-fi with some fantasy elements (more swords than guns), but it could swing both ways... I consider it sci-fi since the tech is either equal to ours (Barrett's gatling gun arm, indicating high technology levels... among various other things, but military grade weapons are common and man portable, without any weird crap except elemental bullets, only an improvement on the original).

Anyway, Claustrophobia is alright, but simple. It reminds me of a bit more involved version of Siege of the Citadel, without all the monster variety. You're mostly beating up trogs, and a big demon is lurking around. Oh, and maybe a hellhound. The gameplay is more about assignment of dice and whatever tricks the bad guy player can throw at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.Galaxy Defenders - Trait based tactical squad control. Played a few times, pretty fun and not overburdened with too many rules.

2.Gears of War - Plays fast, can be solo'd and still be entertaining, main challenge is proper timing and use of finite resources to last until end of scenario.

3.Earth Reborn - A little too much micro management involved, but feels like a very well thought out game and was one of the first rules heavy board games I ever played, along with Descent 1E, so I have a lot of good memories of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pointers, all, lots of titles to check. Yeah lighter weight rules, self-contained/not collectible, loot & level, not a tactical minis war game was what I was looking for (and of course also lotsa cool plastic

My 9yo loves Dungeon! and I'm curious about HeroQuest, but gotta get some pew pew in too.

Mixed genres can sometimes work. I didn't get into Final Fantasy, but there was an old anime-like video game called Septerra Core whose story and art style I loved (if not the actual gameplay).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There really aren't many loot and level style sci fi titles out there, unfortunately... The Star Wars Imperial Assault really might be one to hold out for.

Xia is basically Merchants and Marauders in space... it's a free flowing sandbox style game, but you do the upgrade thing and run around doing quests to buy or find more stuff. This describes a lot of space games, but it's not a 4x, and it's not a straight up merchants game. Focus is not specifically on combat either, though it's inevitable.

Hell, you can always pick up Myth and just proxy in sci-fi figures. Heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see where you're coming from. If it's science fiction where the 'science' aspect has a firm rooting in magic - and there is no technologically advanced machinery involved - then perhaps it is just fantasy. If magic was involved to power machinery, then it would straddle genres and belong more to the Steampunk or Science Fantasy sub-genres.

Anyway, getting back on topic. I've seen quite a few playthroughs of Level 7 [Omega Protocol], and to me that looks to be a solid, immersive, cinematic Sci Fi dungeon crawler. I think Tom Vasel refers to it as Descent in space. And I love the Geigeresque aliens.

+1 for Star Wars: Imperial Assault. I hear Tom Vasel is including it among his top ten all-time favourite games. It looks great to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:

My 9yo loves Dungeon! and I'm curious about HeroQuest, but gotta get some pew pew in too.

I loved Heroquest and first started playing it in the 80s as a 9yr-old. Nowadays I prefer descent, which is a sort of modernisation of Heroquest with a little more complexity of rules.

I mention this because Fantasy Flight Games are just about to release a re-imagining of Descent rooted in the Star Wars universe, called Star Wars: Imperial Assault. If you both like Heroquest then perhaps this would be a good choice? It will be a little more complicated than Heroquest, so my advice would be check a run-through of the game on Youtube to see if it is suitable complexity wise.

crazybyzantine wrote:
Mixed genres can sometimes work. I didn't get into Final Fantasy, but there was an old anime-like video game called Septerra Core whose story and art style I loved (if not the actual gameplay).

I didn't play that one, but I loved Japanese rpgs back in the Super Famicom era. My favourites were Secret of Mana, Zelda:a Link to the Past, and Soul Blader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Septerra Core... It was a PC game right? Kind of a western anime cyberpunk thing going. I got it packaged with Shogo, and only played the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Septerra Core was a PC game, and you called it right on the mash-up. I remember seeing Shogo but never picked that one up. Septerra Core board game, hmmmm...

Based on everyone's comments I'm gonna have to check out Descent now too .

Agree Imperial Assault looks neat but a bit pricey for the number of minis (admittedly better sculpts than the heroclix-esque Star Wars Miniatures I have from a few years back)? Plus looks like gobs of expansions coming, which normally I'd be cool with, unless you have to buy a $100 box just to get that one bounty hunter you wanted. that game also makes me Wish I still had time to paint, I would have killed in high school to have the paints & sculpts available nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's anything like the Descent quest layout, the core game should keep you busy for a good long time. The quest book for Descent is pretty thick. There's a lot of replay just in trying out different characters, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Berets
Fury of the Clansmen

Thumb up