Subject: Keyflower: The Merchants Kickstarter Begun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
the kickstarter for the new expansion is up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/keyflower-th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's not "the kickstarter for the new expansion" is it? It's merely Game Salutes preorder mechanism for their home market in the US of States.

This appears to have nothing at all to do with R&D Games etc., Nor any one outside of northern America.

Why are they doing this? There are presumably ZERO risks in the project outside of printing too many / not enough. It already exists, it's already on sale in Europe by the look of it, so this is literally just about printing it on the other side of the pond by Game Salute. No?

I do like how right under where it says "What's in the box?" in big bold black lettering there's a picture of what's absolutely NOT in the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Why are they doing this? There are presumably ZERO risks in the project outside of printing too many / not enough. It already exists, it's already on sale in Europe by the look of it, so this is literally just about printing it on the other side of the pond by Game Salute. No?

Here's my off-the-cuff $0.02 on this.

Game Salute is not using Kickstarter within the spirit of the site, but from a technical point of view they are taking advantage of a platform that provides them with a robust and stable ordering system that comes with the added benefit of high exposure and customer familiarity. It is a better - and considerably cheaper - solution than if they used a website they stood up for themselves.

Part of their business model is to cut out the middle man by eschewing the "traditional" path of taking pre-orders from retailers. They feel (probably correctly) that they'll make more money this way. Kickstarter provides them a way to do this with greater efficacy than if they had their own site.

As for why they would even have a pre-order for an expansion that will be in their warehouse by the time the Kickstarter ends? Because that generates more interest than if they simply started selling the game. And they take advantage of the Kickstarter spirit that backers are participating in something special to help drive the desire for said expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
It's merely Game Salutes...

That's your answer right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Salute uses Kickstarter as a pre-order site, but a site where the people 'ordering' have no guarantee of timely delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1264012/kickstarter-keyflow...

A similar discussion, not so coincidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
No. I'd highly doubt a second printing in the US. The copies will likely come from Europe (and I'd even guess they are in a container somewhere on a ship in on the Atlantic right now). The Merchants are already printed and in retail stores over here. I got a copy today and it clearly mentions Game Salute as "US Co-producer" on the back:

That said: 35$ shipped is a good deal. It retails for about 25 € (~ 31 $) over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
yzemaze wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
No. I'd highly doubt a second printing in the US. The copies will likely come from Europe (and I'd even guess they are in a container somewhere on a ship in on the Atlantic right now). The Merchants are already printed and in retail stores over here. I got a copy today and it clearly mentions Game Salute as "US Co-producer" on the back:

That said: 35$ shipped is a good deal. It retails for about 25 € (~ 31 $) over here.

OK, so not even that, pure pure order system. dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorri Gums
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GS did this last year with Farmers....now they are doing it again for Merchants....

They must be the distribution partner for Keyflower/R&D and this is a way to do it for NORTH AMERICA.

I was a part of last year KS and the only reason I'm not a part of this current KS is that I have the game shipping to me because of a friend picked it up from Essen.

If you are in Europe, I believe it is much easier to obtain.

And KS has always been a "preorder" system, its just semantics and word usage....

Doesn't mean, I will stop using KS...but to each his own and people like to complain about Game Salute...(I am one of those people), but not for the Keyflower distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The copy I ordered from milan-spiele.de arrived last night. Very excited to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.