Subject: Krang faces a puzzle - a case study in a Conquest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following scenario happened in a 2vs2 Full Conquest PBEM (LL PBEM#29).

Although it's not late into the game yet I felt a bit overwhelming because there're so many possibilities to explore. Perhaps the most complicated puzzle I've met recently. So I'm sharing my thought in steps, hoping someone could kindly read them and give your suggestions especially on things I might have missed. Thank you.

2v2 Full Conquest, Round 2, second last turn.
Hero: Krang.
Background:
* Wolfhawk, Krang's teammate, who followed Krang in the Round Order, would announce EoR (i.e. Krang had last two turns to go);
* Norowas and Tovak would probably play Crystallize in their last turn (to change one or two blue dice in the Source, which is all blue now);
* Tovak had some Wounds so he's more likely to go to the glade instead of the ruin (he had no possibility to explore any kind of ruin);
* Krang(
), starting in his keep, with 6 cards (Ruthless Coercion, Promise, Tranquility, Mana Draw, Stout Resolve and Stamina) and skill Arcane Disguise, was going to do a big recruitment with choices among Thugs, Guardsmen and Crossbowmen;
* His deck had one card (Improvisation) left; tactic Long Night had not been flipped yet.

The only thing that Krang was sure at the beginning, was that he's going to recruit. But which of those? with which cards / crystals? May I ask you to think before you read the following spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
To know which cards to play, I must figure out what I can do in my next turn, which in turn depends heavily on what I draw from Long Night.
I have plenty of Influence Points (RC=6, A.Disguise=2, Promise=2 and any one card to make 11, enough to recruit any two of those), so Tranquility is redundant anyway.
So my first step is to play Tranquility to draw my last card (Improvisation), and flip Long Night before we make any further decision.
So I did. The new deck looks promising:
Fire Bolt, Savage Harvesting and Swiftness.

My hand is now:
Ruthless Coercion, Promise, Mana Draw, Stout Resolve, Stamina and Improvisation.

Can you plan out our next turn and decide which cards to play now? May I ask you again to think before you read the next spoiler:

Crossbowmen seemed a must. There's a hard call between Thugs and Guardsmen. With Arcane Disguise at hand, I can easily tank damage on Thugs and heal them afterwards. Especially after assigning my Banner of Protection to them they can tank even more with easy after-healing.
I might have made a mistake here to recruit Crossbowmen and Guardsmen. But for simplicity's sake let's continue with this plan.

As said before: "RC=6, A.Disguise=2, Promise=2 and any one card to make 11". The "any one card" can be chosen now among Mana Draw, Stout Resolve, Stamina and Improvisation.
Every card has its own value for the next turn:
* Mana Draw can generate two mana tokens at the cost of
(or a possible
):
for SH and SR; or
for Fire Bolt and Improvisation;
* Stout Resolve can generate a big attack if I need it (especially with possible Wound);
* Improvisation is similar to above, especially if I have to Mana Draw for red for Fire Bolt as well;
* Stamina is the only card that I'm guaranteed to boost with a Source die next turn. It was also my only move card remained but now I have also SH in my new deck.

There are two possible targets:
1) the den to my far NW. I have confidence to kill any brown monster now;
2) the ruin next to my keep. Its type is unknown yet. But I can pay any shrine except a WWW one; or I can challenge many double-enemy perhaps except a few hard ones. If the impossible ones are revealed, I still have the option to move further and explore.

The second option looks more appealing, so let's see how many attacks I can make (for details see next part).
Finally I decide to give up Stamina for those two Units.

Wolfie announced EoR as planned; Tovak and Norowas made their last turn moves respectively and the Source is now:
(others not usable). My hand for the last turn is:
Mana Draw, Stout Resolve, Improvisation, Fire Bolt, Savage Harvesting and Swiftness.
Inventory: (
); Units: Crossbowmen and Guardsmen.

Let set out for the unknown ruin! As the first step I have to pay move 3. How shall I pay it?

Can you plan out it now? May I ask you again to think before you read the next spoiler:

Edit: 3rd step.
Mana Draw is the key to any kind of shrine.
First I must move with Savage Harvesting(
):
For a shrine I'll have:
* RRR: easy to pay, won't detail;
* GGG,WWW: play Improvisation(
) discarding Fire Bolt to move "forth and back", "harvesting"
from Swiftness and Stout Resolve; play Mana Draw(
) to gain two tokens of the needed color and pay the third using a crystal;
* Rainbow (RGBW): similar as above, except playing Mana Draw to get
to pay
;
* BBB: play Improvisation(
!!!) discarding Fire Bolt to move "forth and back", "harvesting"
from Swiftness and Stout Resolve; play Mana Draw(
) to gain
and pay the shrine together with
Note that if I saved Stamina and play it now with
as my starting move, there will be no way to pay the last
needed in a RGBW or BBB shrine!

For fighting I'll have:
/
6 to shoot most brown/purple monsters (adding Crossbowmen for
2 if necessary) or even two green enemies;
* Improvisation(
) discarding Mana Draw for
/
5; Guardsmen for
2 or
4; Stout Resolve with possible
gained for
3;
In all I have roughly
6 +
13 or
8 +
10; besides I have
4 and
5 on Units to soak some damage. With these I'd say I'm confident to challenge any ruin except those with a dragon.

I had been desiring a big fightdevil but it turned out a rainbow shrine... Anyway I gained some fame with a "clean" deck into the next Round, although my Units were wasted. Not too bad.

Edit 1: correct small typos;
Edit 2: add step 3;
Edit 3: correct small typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would have kept Stamina rather than Improvisation, so I could play Stamina with the blue die for movement now.

If you play Savage Harvesting to move to the ruin, do you get to see what ruin it is before you decide on discarding to gain a crystal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I think I would have kept Stamina rather than Improvisation, so I could play Stamina with the blue die for movement now.

If you play Savage Harvesting to move to the ruin, do you get to see what ruin it is before you decide on discarding to gain a crystal?

No, as clarified in FAQ on Krang's rule booklet.

Fortunately the terrains around that ruin are easy to traverse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harkreader

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
Where is the Mage Knight module for Vassal that includes the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjhark17 wrote:
Where is the Mage Knight module for Vassal that includes the expansions?

check this thread carefully and contact Ben Kyo as per his instructions in it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harkreader

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
I would have recruited the guards and crossbowmen, powering the ruthless coercion and playing arcane disguise with promise and stout resolve. I am not much of a fan of the thugs, since it costs you to do anything with them, but you are right about the cheap heal.

I choose stout resolve because you will have two red attack cards and your units and a blue is guaranteed for next round.

Clearly I was wrong and you were right. I like the free mana I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.