Subject: New Format: Escalation Furball rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ayers
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The X-Wing group for my FLGS was a little bored with the idea of yet another round of 100 point dogfights, so I cooked up something new for this week's gathering that was met with an extremely positive response, an "Escalation Furball". The idea is that you start with a very basic ship in a race to kill a set number of points worth of ships, and every time you die, you get to re-enter the match with more points to spend on your ship than before. It's essentially a Furball that you can't be knocked out of permanently, and you get to quote Obi-Wan over and over again ("If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine").

This was a great warmup for our upcoming campaign format (more info on that later), served as a good intro to the game for someone new that could focus on flying one ship at a time this way, and the experienced players seemed to love the chaos. If you're looking for something new to spice things up within your group, I highly suggest giving this a try.

Full details on our trial run and the exact rules that we used are at www.tabletopgeneral.com/2014/11/06/x-wing-escalation-furball...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey mate, 6 of us are going to try this tonight, I'm excited!

We are going to try the game with no upgrade cards, just pilot perks to keep the game flowing and the admin time down.

Also we're going to try the rule that if you die by your own hand, you lose the points your ship was worth at the time.

Any other pointers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ayers
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry I missed your response until this morning, so I suppose it's a little late to offer pointers, but in general...

With 6 players, make sure not to expand the play surface, a 3x3 map should be plenty of room.

I know you're streamlining things by saying no upgrades, but it also means you're cutting down on variety big time. Rebel HWK will never see the table with 1 attack die, but it's very viable in this format with a turret. No missiles/torpedoes means the TIE Bomber is less attractive. No Engine Upgrade availability means you won't be likely to see shuttles, but an Omicron Group with Engine upgrade is an intriguing option at 25 points. And you'll run in to a lot more ties in pilot skill if you're not having to weigh upgrade cards against taking a higher PS, which is an admin headache all of its' own (although less so with only 6 players).

Regardless, I hope you guys had fun with it, and I'd certainly like to hear how it worked out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey mate,

Yeah I get what you're saying about the lack of options without the upgrade cards, it's a fair point, and the progression was kinda similar for a few of the levels... but we ended up going without them because:

1. not everyone has played the game too much yet, and doesn't know the upgrade cards every well. ie. would take ages to admin

2. the ships we own between us are really unbalanced in the way of one guy will own just a core set, and another will own 20 ships, so remembering where a particular card came from if you 'borrowed' it would be a nightmare!

So we played last night, and here's what we found:

1. Awesome format, really fun to play and only have to concentrate on one ship.

2. we started on each corner and middle of the side of the board, which was fine, but our board has X/Y grid on the edge, so when we 're-spawned' in with a new ship we actually had a random x/y co-ordinate generator app on someone's phone, and the new ship 'popped up' in the randomly assigned location. (we said it was cos they just came out of hyperspace into the middle of the fray)

3. When you died, you had to sit out for one round before you re-spawned with your next ship. This was good cos it gave you a punishment for dying, and also gave you a few mins to go grab your new ship.

4. We made a rule that if you flew off the board, or died on an asteroid you would lose the points your ship was worth at the time.

5. we did just use the one board, it was a good size

Some thoughts for next time would be:

1. once everyone but 1 player has moved onto the next tier of ship (ie died once) the last guy remaining on that tier should get some bonus points for his ability to survive with such a low level ship (maybe 10 points?) one guy got stuck on a level one tie pretty much the entire night.

2. our game kinda ended in a weird way, because someone hit a shuttle and gave him a critical card that said he'd have to roll for damage if he did any red turns. The game continued for a while, and the shuttle eventually did a red turn and rolled the damage on itself, blew up, and we gave the points to the guy who'd caused the damage (since no one else had shot at the Shuttle since that critical happened)

So, yeah, not sure if that was the right thing to end it with or not, but it worked ok I guess.

I also made a handy sheet of paper for each tier of ship, so people could just walk over and select a new one from the new tier easily...I uploaded it here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=72185909027203568080

Everyone really enjoyed the night, and we keen to do it again! Thanks for the great idea mate.

Feel free to add any thoughts and tips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Henderson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have 7-9 players scheduled to take part in a game. Would this format work for a game of that size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ayers
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The original run of this format was done with 13 players. Having 7-9, I would highly suggest only using one 3x3 map, but otherwise I don't see anything that wouldn't work about it. Best of luck to you, and I hope you guys have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it would be fine... May wish to have a 4' X 3' gaming space. Adjust obstacles accordingly. Determine some predefined, evenly-spaced starting areas around the board. A circular space may work well, too. I recall reading some group had 13 people, spread over 2-3 3X3 adjacent tables. edit: ninja

It's pretty fun, frantic, and full of shared laughs and OHHHHHs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we ran a 5 man Furball Escalation. Spoiler: the guy flying mostly rank 1 pilots won.

Before the game started everyone rolled 9 attack dice and counted hits/crits. This became their modifier for initiative. If you rolled a 4, you were a rank 3.4 pilot instead of rank 3. Re-roll until ties are broken - we had two guys that were .345 and .347. Never having to roll as new ships arrived made things smoother.

We used no asteroids, arguing that killing yourself on one would remove points from other players.

Instead of assigning locations randomly, we placed in initiative order. You had to fly on the board with range 1 of the edge and more than range 2 of each another player. New ships were added to the board before any dials were set (like the beginning of a game). This meant that if you just died, you could set yourself up for revenge. Consequently, most players had a shot the turn they arrived on the board.

4 of the 5 players had one kill each before someone made it to 2 kills. One pilot with a high rank would soften up opponents, fail to kill them, and then get shot down himself. He died twice before he got a kill.

Using a rank 1 pilot meant that we could finish off the wounded, and it worked perfectly for that pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.