Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Morning, FITL Fanatics! Upon reaching the 2nd Coup Round in my first "walk on the other Insurgent side" as the VC in a 1-player Long Scenario (Nam), I realized I may not have reflected the decrease in Trail value due to the US bot Air Strikes. Worse yet, I was choosing for the NVA bot horde March Ops, when I should have probably chosen Rally Ops (to boost the Trail). Accordingly, I decided to "reboot" my 1-player VC Long Scenario. (A word of warning: do go slowly and carefully when operating the bots!) So watch out for Charlie, 'cause here they come (again)!

The 1st "tour of duty" was again quite long and challenging for my VC: Gulf of Tonkin (the US bot takes the unshaded Event to get off to a rousing start): Trucks (my VC take the shaded Event to add a few Resources to the Insurgent banks); Green Berets (the US bot takes the unshaded Event to place 3 Irregulars and boost Support); Tribesmen (my VC take the shaded Event to boot 3 of the 6 Irregulars off the map and sink Patronage); No Contact; Cadres (neither Insurgents, nor COIN took the Capability, a rarity in my 1-player games); Brinks Hotel; Henry Cabot Lodge; Economic Aid (the NVA bot horde took the shaded Event to boost both Trail value and Resources); Sihanouk-Monsoon (the ARVN bot takes the unshaded Event, Sweeps/Assaults in The Parrot's Beak to remove a paltry 1 NVA Troop); and the Coup Card (Young Turks, a Govern Patronage engine for the ARVN bot)

Through the 1st Coup Round the score is as follows: the US bot 43 (-7); VC (me) 24 (-11); the NVA bot horde 4 (-14); the ARVN bot 35 (-15). Resources: the ARVN bot a healthy 39; the NVA bot horde a very healthy 20; and my VC a respectable 10. Aid is 28 , Patronage 10 (the ARVN bot took hits from the Tribesmen Event and my VC Subvert SAs), Econ value 14 (1 NVA Guerrilla on the Dak to-Kontum LoC), Trail value 3.

Current Card Body Count, Upcoming Card Plei Mei.

Here are two shots of the current board following completion of the 1st Coup Round:

As can be seen in these shots, my VC retain some presence in the Mekong, with the usual concentrations in Quang Duc, Binh Tuy, and Tay Ninh spaces in the south, as well as decent presence in Binh Dinh and Quang Tin in the north. My VC really struggled in this 1st "tour," especially in keeping the US bot from achieving an auto-win in the Victory Phase of the 1st Coup Round. The US bot was well above 45 at the Commitment Phase, so policy remained JFK, with the US bot parking a US Base with the large concentration of US Troops in Kien Giang, and a sprinkling of US Troops everywhere else. During the Redeploy Phase, the ARVN bot created a Troop concentration in Pleiku. The NVA bot horde retains a small presence in Kien Giang, and is getting ready with concentrations of NVA Troops/Guerrillas in The Parrot's Beak, Southern and Central Laos, as well as North Vietnam, poised for eventual invasion of South Vietnam.

My VC survived a pretty close "scare" from that potential US auto-win at the Victory Phase of the 1st Coup Round by conducting Terror Ops in potentially less than advantageous spaces and times to drive the US bot's Support + Avail total below the Victory threshold. So my VC are not in an optimum position to play the chaotic Tet Offensive when the "Dance of the Pivotal Events" begins in the 2nd "tour of duty." So stay tuned for the further reports from the quagmire as my VC try again to Terrorize and Subvert the South Vietnamese populace, as well as Ambush the forces of the US bot Imperialists and their ARVN bot vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Morning, FITL Fanatics! Time again for another update of my "bungle in the jungle" as the VC in a 1-player Long Scenario (Nam).

The 2nd "tour of duty" was quite short but still challenging for my VC: Body Count (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Momentum Event, but ultimately had no effect); Plei Mei (the US bot took the unshaded Event to remove 2 NVA Bases from The Parrot's Beak and 1 NVA Base from Southern Laos); Honolulu Conference (the ARVN bot took the Event to boost Aid and Patronage); Da Nang (the US bot took the unshaded Event to put a plethora of US Troops in Da Nang); CIDG (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Event to replace 3 of my VC Guerillas with 3 ARVN Rangers); 559th Transport Group-Monsoon; and the Coup Card (Khanh, a drag on the ARVN bot's Transport SA)

Through the 2nd Coup Round the score is as follows: the US bot 50 (0, up 7); VC (me) 27 (-8, up 3); the NVA bot horde 9 (-9, up 5); and the ARVN bot 32 (-18, down 3). Resources: the ARVN bot a hefty 60; the NVA bot horde a healthy 17; and my VC a dismal 1 (most Resources consumed by some VC Agitation during the Coup Round). Aid is 14 (due to 10 US Casualties), Patronage 11 (up 1), Econ value 13 (2 NVA Guerrillas on LoCs), Trail value 3.

Current Card Wild Weasels (the NVA Trail value "killer"), Upcoming Card Annam.

Here are two shots of the current board following completion of the 2nd Coup Round:

As can be seen in these shots, my VC still retain a presence in the Mekong, with the usual concentrations in Quang Duc, Binh Tuy, and Tay Ninh spaces in the south, as well as decent presence in Binh Dinh and Quang Tin in the north. The NVA bot horde has also joined my VC in significant numbers in both Tay Ninh and especially Binh Dinh, plucking my VC's Tunneled Base in Tay Ninh and a Base in Binh Dinh. My VC will really be challenged at the start of the 2nd "tour of duty" in staring out with only 1 VC Resource. The US bot is within easy distance of an auto-win at the Victory Phase of the 3rd Coup Round, so I'll need to make sure the US bot doesn't boost Support to levels that make Support + Avail insurmountable. Not surprisingly, US policy remained JFK, and got some additional US Troops from Out of Play by Event play (e.g., Da Nang), but also lost 3 US Troops from Casualties and is fairly scattered in strength across the map, as is the ARVN bot's Troops.

Both my VC and the NVA bot horde have playable Pivotal Events at the beginning of the 3rd "tour." I may need to play The Tet Offensive on Annam because the unshaded Event would be played by the ARVN bot and is pretty troublesome for my VC. So get ready for some "chaos" early in the 3rd "tour" as the "Dance of the Pivotal Events" begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Evening, FITL Fanatics! I just realized that the US bot's Linebacker II Pivotal Event was also playable by the end of the 2nd Coup Round. (I need to heed my own advice about going carefully.) Argh! Having play through several Cards before realizing this faux pas, I've decided to restart my restart my 1-player VC Long Scenario (Nam) once more. May be the 3rd time will be the charm. So stay tuned for further reports from my new "bungle in the jungles" of Vietnam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Bungle In The Jungle" - love it! I still havn't used the 'bots yet, so you're ahead of me there. Enjoying the reports. Keep 'em coming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Edward,

Glad you're enjoying my report on these 1-player games. Even when you have misplays like has happened in my first 2 1-player VC games, you learn much.

Many skip the bots in 1-player games, and that's probably a good idea when starting to learn FITL. But I feel that using the bots adds an interesting experience to 1-player game by giving you 3 opponents to compete against versus simply playing 4 opponents simultaneously. The flowcharts can be a challenge to operate, especially the one for the US bot when it conducts Assault/Sweep Ops in combo with Air Lifts, but it's doable.

When I decide I've had enough experience with the VC, I hope to prepare a report of my overall experience and insights from playing all 4 Factions in the Long Scenario. Stay tuned for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.